* obmc-gerrit: A tool for automagically adding reviewers to your patches
@ 2018-05-22  1:43 Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-05-22  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: bradleyb, Andrew Geissler

Hello,

I've created a helper script that automatically adds reviewers to your patches when you push them to Gerrit:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-tools/tree/master/amboar/obmc-scripts/maintainers

Why do you care? I'm hoping that it reduces the time it takes for your patches to get attention *and* relieves you from the tedium of adding the reviewers yourself.

The script is a wrapper for `git push` that also parses the MAINTAINERS file in the root of the repository. I recently sent a flood of patches adding a MAINTAINERS file to each repo maintained by the OpenBMC organisation, so obmc-gerrit should be generally useful in the very near future.

I'm always open to feedback, so make sure to reply here or ping me on IRC if you have opinions.

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: obmc-gerrit: A tool for automagically adding reviewers to your patches
@ 2018-05-31 23:37 ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-05-31 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: openbmc, bradleyb

Excellent! Thanks Andrew!!!!!

@ 2018-06-01  0:56   ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-06-01  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer; +Cc: openbmc, bradleyb

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018, at 09:07, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> Excellent! Thanks Andrew!!!!!

No worries.

I'm wondering whether I should also add support for parsing 'Cc:' tags out of the commit messages and further mangling the refspec based on that...

Thoughts?

@ 2018-06-01 16:46     ` Emily Shaffer
From: Emily Shaffer @ 2018-06-01 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: openbmc, bradleyb

At least in IPMI etc I haven't seen people use this. Are they common
elsewhere in the project?

@ 2018-06-04  2:13       ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-06-04  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Shaffer; +Cc: openbmc, bradleyb

On Sat, 2 Jun 2018, at 02:16, Emily Shaffer wrote:
> At least in IPMI etc I haven't seen people use this. Are they common
> elsewhere in the project?

The Cc: tag is common in the kernel as it uses a mailing-list based development method. As such it's pretty well established.  The thought was so that I could be even lazier about pushing changes to Gerrit.

Nothing would *force* you to use it, was just wondering if it would be convenient for anyone besides me (i.e. is there enough interest to warrant the effort).

Andrew