* DPDK Accelaration Enhancement
       [not found] <2021242051.1516112.1482600358351.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2016-12-24 17:25 ` Ant loves honey
From: Ant loves honey @ 2016-12-24 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Currently DPDK has the crypto PMD (.../drivers/crypto/qat/) and example code (.../examples/dpdk_qat).
Intel QuickAssist Technology also supports compression along with crypto.  Last weekend, there is a proposed project to Intel Dev Mesh - "A VPP plugin utilizing Intel QucikAssist Technology to perform hardware assisted compression operations"

https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/a-vpp-plugin-utilizing-intel-quickassist-technology-to-perform-hardware-assisted-compression-operation

Do we need a new PMD driver for compression or should we modify the exiting crypto/qat driver to also support compression?

The Intel QAT driver should be present in any Linux kernel greater than version 4.4

I am trying to put the pieces together and hitting a roadblock. I am also figuring how the PMD driver is interacting with the Intel QAT driver at the code level.
Any pointer on how to move forward is greatly appreciated.
Please also let me know if I should modify the proposed project.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Anthony.

* Re: DPDK Accelaration Enhancement
@ 2016-12-26  6:02   ` Jain, Deepak K
From: Jain, Deepak K @ 2016-12-26  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ant loves honey, dev

HI Anthony,

There is still NO compression support in DPDK which utilizes Intel(R) QuickAssist Technology.

> The Intel QAT driver should be present in any Linux kernel greater than
> version 4.4
>
> I am trying to put the pieces together and hitting a roadblock. I am also
> figuring how the PMD driver is interacting with the Intel QAT driver at the
> code level.
> Any pointer on how to move forward is greatly appreciated.
> Please also let me know if I should modify the proposed project.

Have you gone through the Crypto Documentation on dpdk.org and release notes (qat.rst) for more information?

> Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
> Anthony.

Regards,
Deepak

* Re: DPDK Accelaration Enhancement
@ 2016-12-26  6:19     ` Ant loves honey
From: Ant loves honey @ 2016-12-26  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jain, Deepak K, dev

Deepak,
The .../doc/guides/cryptodevs/qat.rst is geared toward crypto and no mention of compression.
I am trying to figure out what it takes to have compression support on DPDK such as new PMD driver, additional defines and/or API or chipset initialization since the Intel QAT can support compression.
It seems to me IP payload can make good use of the hardware assisted compression and this will be a nice feature to have.
Thanks so much,
anthony.

> Currently DPDK has the crypto PMD (.../drivers/crypto/qat/) and example
> code (.../examples/dpdk_qat).
> Intel QuickAssist Technology also supports compression along with
> crypto.  Last weekend, there is a proposed project to Intel Dev Mesh - "A
> VPP plugin utilizing Intel QucikAssist Technology to perform hardware
> assisted compression operations"
>
> https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/a-vpp-plugin-utilizing-intel-quickassist-
> technology-to-perform-hardware-assisted-compression-operation
>
> Do we need a new PMD driver for compression or should we modify the
> exiting crypto/qat driver to also support compression?

There is still NO compression support in DPDK which utilizes Intel(R) QuickAssist Technology.

> The Intel QAT driver should be present in any Linux kernel greater than
> version 4.4
>
> I am trying to put the pieces together and hitting a roadblock. I am also
> figuring how the PMD driver is interacting with the Intel QAT driver at the
> code level.
> Any pointer on how to move forward is greatly appreciated.
> Please also let me know if I should modify the proposed project.

Have you gone through the Crypto Documentation on dpdk.org and release notes (qat.rst) for more information?

> Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
> Anthony.

Regards,
Deepak

* Re: DPDK Accelaration Enhancement
@ 2017-01-02 15:54       ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2017-01-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ant loves honey; +Cc: dev, Jain, Deepak K

2016-12-26 06:19, Ant loves honey:
> I am trying to figure out what it takes to have compression
> support on DPDK such as new PMD driver, additional defines
> and/or API or chipset initialization since the Intel QAT can
> support compression.

You need to solve 2 new things in DPDK:
- introduce a generic compression API
- be able to use a QAT device with a compression driver while
being used with a crypto driver

Interesting work to do :)