* Docker init script possibly uses wrong invocation?
@ 2018-08-02  4:04 David Antliff
From: David Antliff @ 2018-08-02  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

I've installed the "docker" (docker_git.bb) recipe in my ARM64 yocto image, from meta-virtualization 1e67a44 (24 July).

I note that it installed /etc/init.d/docker.init, however this fails to start the daemon.

The script runs `/usr/bin/docker daemon ...` however this command is not recognised by this program:

# /usr/bin/docker daemon
docker: 'daemon' is not a docker command.

Instead, /usr/bin/dockerd run manually seems to do something more useful:
?
# /usr/bin/dockerd
INFO[2018-08-02T04:05:04.144036840Z] libcontainerd: started new docker-containerd process  pid=4643
INFO[0000] starting containerd                           module=containerd revision=cfd04396dc68220d1cecbe686a6cc3aa5ce3667c.m version=v1.0.2.m

I've noticed that docker.service also uses this invocation:

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-virtualization/tree/recipes-containers/docker/files/docker.service

This makes me wonder if I've misconfigured something, or am I unlucky in my timing such that docker-from-git has changed its behaviour in this area very recently?

--
David.

* Re: Docker init script possibly uses wrong invocation?
@ 2018-08-03  2:41 ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2018-08-03  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Antliff; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 1:04 AM, David Antliff
<David.Antliff@aviatnet.com> wrote:
> I've installed the "docker" (docker_git.bb) recipe in my ARM64 yocto image,
> from meta-virtualization 1e67a44 (24 July).
>

> I note that it installed /etc/init.d/docker.init, however this fails to
> start the daemon.
>

> The script runs `/usr/bin/docker daemon ...` however this command is not
> recognised by this program:
>

> # /usr/bin/docker daemon
> docker: 'daemon' is not a docker command.
>
> Instead, /usr/bin/dockerd run manually seems to do something more useful:
> # /usr/bin/dockerd
> INFO[2018-08-02T04:05:04.144036840Z] libcontainerd: started new
> docker-containerd process  pid=4643
> INFO[0000] starting containerd                           module=containerd
> revision=cfd04396dc68220d1cecbe686a6cc3aa5ce3667c.m version=v1.0.2.m
>
> I've noticed that docker.service also uses this invocation:
>
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-virtualization/tree/recipes-containers/docker/files/docker.service
>
> This makes me wonder if I've misconfigured something, or am I unlucky in my
> timing such that docker-from-git has changed its behaviour in this area very
> recently?

I can't say that I've tested the sysvinit version of docker for quite
some time, so it very well could have some bitrot.

I do run the systemd version though, and haven't been having any issues.

Taking a look at things, I can see that yes, it should be dockerd and
the sysvinit variant has rotted. The confusion around the systemd one
is that the service file in the layer is no longer used, and is also
out of date. We use the docker.service file from the source repo
itself, and it has the correct daemon startup.

Did you want to submit a patch to update the sysvinit startup script ?

I'll cleanup the invalid/old systemd one, but since you are in a
position to test the sysvinit one, it would be better if you could do
it.

Cheers,

Bruce

> --
> David.

thee at its end"

* Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Docker init script possibly uses wrong invocation?
@ 2018-08-03  2:47   ` David Antliff
From: David Antliff @ 2018-08-03  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On 03 August 2018 14:41 Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> Taking a look at things, I can see that yes, it should be dockerd and
> the sysvinit variant has rotted. The confusion around the systemd one
> is that the service file in the layer is no longer used, and is also
> out of date. We use the docker.service file from the source repo
> itself, and it has the correct daemon startup.

Thank you for the explanation - it makes much more sense now I know that the systemd file is obsolete.

> Did you want to submit a patch to update the sysvinit startup script ?

Yes, I can do that. I'll send a patch through once I'm happy with my changes.

-- David.