* [GIT PULL] ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4
@ 2017-06-02 22:46 Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-02 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds

Hi Linus,

Please pull from the tag

 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm.git \
 acpi-4.12-rc4

with top-most commit 60319130254084b337e02439d3b4ec301b6328bb

 Merge branches 'acpi-button', 'acpica' and 'acpi-sysfs'

on top of commit 5ed02dbb497422bf225783f46e6eadd237d23d6b

 Linux 4.12-rc3

to receive ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4.

These revert one more problematic commit related to the ACPI-based
handling of laptop lids and make some unuseful error messages coming
from ACPICA go away.

Specifics:

 - Revert one more commit related to the ACPI-based handling of
   laptop lids that changed the default behavior on laptops that
   booted with closed lids and introduced a regression there
   (Benjamin Tissoires).

 - Add a missing acpi_put_table() to the code implementing the
   /sys/firmware/acpi/tables interface to prevent a counter in
   the ACPICA core from overflowing (Dan Williams).

 - Drop error messages printed by ACPICA on acpi_get_table()
   reference counting mismatches as they need not indicate real
   errors at this point (Lv Zheng).

Thanks!

---------------

Benjamin Tissoires (1):
      Revert "ACPI / button: Change default behavior to lid_init_state=open"

Dan Williams (1):
      ACPI / sysfs: fix acpi_get_table() leak / acpi-sysfs denial of service

Lv Zheng (1):
      ACPICA: Tables: Fix regression introduced by a too early
mechanism enabling

---------------

 drivers/acpi/acpica/tbutils.c | 4 ----
 drivers/acpi/button.c         | 2 +-
 drivers/acpi/sysfs.c          | 7 +++++--

* RE: [GIT PULL] ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4
@ 2017-06-05  2:02 ` Zheng, Lv
From: Zheng, Lv @ 2017-06-05  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki, Linus Torvalds

> From: linux-acpi-owner@vger.kernel.org [mailto:linux-acpi-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Rafael J.
> Wysocki
> Subject: [GIT PULL] ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4
>
> Hi Linus,
>
> Please pull from the tag
>
>  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm.git \
>  acpi-4.12-rc4
>
> with top-most commit 60319130254084b337e02439d3b4ec301b6328bb
>
>  Merge branches 'acpi-button', 'acpica' and 'acpi-sysfs'
>
> on top of commit 5ed02dbb497422bf225783f46e6eadd237d23d6b
>
>  Linux 4.12-rc3
>
> to receive ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4.
>
> These revert one more problematic commit related to the ACPI-based
> handling of laptop lids and make some unuseful error messages coming
> from ACPICA go away.
>
> Specifics:
>
>  - Revert one more commit related to the ACPI-based handling of
>    laptop lids that changed the default behavior on laptops that
>    booted with closed lids and introduced a regression there
>    (Benjamin Tissoires).
>
>  - Add a missing acpi_put_table() to the code implementing the
>    /sys/firmware/acpi/tables interface to prevent a counter in
>    the ACPICA core from overflowing (Dan Williams).
>
>  - Drop error messages printed by ACPICA on acpi_get_table()
>    reference counting mismatches as they need not indicate real
>    errors at this point (Lv Zheng).
>
> Thanks!
>

> ---------------
>
> Benjamin Tissoires (1):
>       Revert "ACPI / button: Change default behavior to lid_init_state=open"
>
> Dan Williams (1):
>       ACPI / sysfs: fix acpi_get_table() leak / acpi-sysfs denial of service

This commit can trigger regression as mentioned by this discussion:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9717073/
So if this commit is accepted by the upstream, the above commit should also be in upstream in order not to regress.
Do you need to me refine it and re-send it to the community?
It's a bit slow in ACPICA upstream as ACPICA upstream is frozen for spec 6.2 support.

Thanks and best regards
Lv

@ 2017-06-05 13:24   ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2017-06-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zheng, Lv
  Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Linus Torvalds, Linux PM,
	ACPI Devel Maling List, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Monday, June 05, 2017 02:02:42 AM Zheng, Lv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > From: linux-acpi-owner@vger.kernel.org [mailto:linux-acpi-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Rafael J.
> > Wysocki
> > Subject: [GIT PULL] ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4
> >
> > Hi Linus,
> >
> > Please pull from the tag
> >
> >  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/linux-pm.git \
> >  acpi-4.12-rc4
> >
> > with top-most commit 60319130254084b337e02439d3b4ec301b6328bb
> >
> >  Merge branches 'acpi-button', 'acpica' and 'acpi-sysfs'
> >
> > on top of commit 5ed02dbb497422bf225783f46e6eadd237d23d6b
> >
> >  Linux 4.12-rc3
> >
> > to receive ACPI fixes for v4.12-rc4.
> >
> > These revert one more problematic commit related to the ACPI-based
> > handling of laptop lids and make some unuseful error messages coming
> > from ACPICA go away.
> >
> > Specifics:
> >
> >  - Revert one more commit related to the ACPI-based handling of
> >    laptop lids that changed the default behavior on laptops that
> >    booted with closed lids and introduced a regression there
> >    (Benjamin Tissoires).
> >
> >  - Add a missing acpi_put_table() to the code implementing the
> >    /sys/firmware/acpi/tables interface to prevent a counter in
> >    the ACPICA core from overflowing (Dan Williams).
> >
> >  - Drop error messages printed by ACPICA on acpi_get_table()
> >    reference counting mismatches as they need not indicate real
> >    errors at this point (Lv Zheng).
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > ---------------
> >
> > Benjamin Tissoires (1):
> >       Revert "ACPI / button: Change default behavior to lid_init_state=open"
> >
> > Dan Williams (1):
> >       ACPI / sysfs: fix acpi_get_table() leak / acpi-sysfs denial of service
>
> This commit can trigger regression as mentioned by this discussion:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9717073/
> So if this commit is accepted by the upstream, the above commit should also be in upstream in order not to regress.
> Do you need to me refine it and re-send it to the community?

Yes, please.

> It's a bit slow in ACPICA upstream as ACPICA upstream is frozen for spec 6.2 support.

That's already out, though.

Thanks,
Rafael