* RX 580 and 5K displays, bandwidth validation failed whith multiple monitors
@ 2019-05-27 14:58 Gaël HERMET
       [not found] ` <1558969130.2.0-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Gaël HERMET @ 2019-05-27 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Hi,

I have been facing an issue with my 5K display (iiyama ProLite
XB2779QQS-S1).

It works fine as long as it is the only active monitor, as soon as I
activate another monitor the main one (5k) can't display more than 4k.

Debug using "echo 0x4 > /sys/module/drm/parameters/debug" show this :
mai 23 09:01:22 bureau-gael /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[3465]: (EE)
AMDGPU(0): failed to set mode: Invalid argument
mai 23 09:01:22 bureau-gael kernel: [drm:dce112_validate_bandwidth
[amdgpu]] dce112_validate_bandwidth: Bandwidth validation failed!

I disabled the check by forcing is_display_configuration_supported to
return true in dce_calcs.c and it works fine.

Anything I can do to correct this bandwidth calculation ?

* Re: RX 580 and 5K displays, bandwidth validation failed whith multiple monitors
       [not found] ` <1558969130.2.0-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2019-05-30 16:01   ` Harry Wentland
       [not found]     ` <c1f8b7b0-ad49-81cb-a304-ba7193913cc8-5C7GfCeVMHo@public.gmane.org>
From: Harry Wentland @ 2019-05-30 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaël HERMET, amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

On 2019-05-27 10:58 a.m., Gaël HERMET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been facing an issue with my 5K display (iiyama ProLite
> XB2779QQS-S1).
>
> It works fine as long as it is the only active monitor, as soon as I
> activate another monitor the main one (5k) can't display more than 4k.
>
> Debug using "echo 0x4 > /sys/module/drm/parameters/debug" show this :
> mai 23 09:01:22 bureau-gael /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[3465]: (EE)
> AMDGPU(0): failed to set mode: Invalid argument
> mai 23 09:01:22 bureau-gael kernel: [drm:dce112_validate_bandwidth
> [amdgpu]] dce112_validate_bandwidth: Bandwidth validation failed!
>
> I disabled the check by forcing is_display_configuration_supported to
> return true in dce_calcs.c and it works fine.
>
> Anything I can do to correct this bandwidth calculation ?

The bandwidth formulas come from our HW teams and usually leave a good
margin of error. Changing the formulas to allow for your case isn't a
correction as it might cause issues in certain scenarious, i.e. there's
no more guarantee that things work as expected.

Examples are 4k video playback (especially multiple videos), gaming.
Anything that does a lot of GPU memory access.

Issues that might appear are underflow, i.e. white lines on the screen.
In extreme cases underflow might even hang the entire display pipe.

Harry

@ 2019-06-04 13:10       ` Gaël HERMET
From: Gaël HERMET @ 2019-06-04 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Wentland; +Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

Le 30 mai 2019 à 18:01, Harry Wentland <hwentlan@amd.com> a écrit :

> On 2019-05-27 10:58 a.m., Gaël HERMET wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been facing an issue with my 5K display (iiyama ProLite
>> XB2779QQS-S1).
>>
>> It works fine as long as it is the only active monitor, as soon as I
>> activate another monitor the main one (5k) can't display more than 4k.
>>
>> Debug using "echo 0x4 > /sys/module/drm/parameters/debug" show this :
>> mai 23 09:01:22 bureau-gael /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[3465]: (EE)
>> AMDGPU(0): failed to set mode: Invalid argument
>> mai 23 09:01:22 bureau-gael kernel: [drm:dce112_validate_bandwidth
>> [amdgpu]] dce112_validate_bandwidth: Bandwidth validation failed!
>>
>> I disabled the check by forcing is_display_configuration_supported to
>> return true in dce_calcs.c and it works fine.
>>
>> Anything I can do to correct this bandwidth calculation ?
>>

> The bandwidth formulas come from our HW teams and usually leave a good
> margin of error. Changing the formulas to allow for your case isn't a
> correction as it might cause issues in certain scenarious, i.e. there's
> no more guarantee that things work as expected.
>
> Examples are 4k video playback (especially multiple videos), gaming.
> Anything that does a lot of GPU memory access.
>
> Issues that might appear are underflow, i.e. white lines on the screen.
> In extreme cases underflow might even hang the entire display pipe.
>
> Harry

Ok I understand.

Is there any reason why it works without any trouble or setting to mess with in both Windows and MacOS ?

This setup is not that rare, 5k iMacs with Radeon graphics have existed for years now and they all support external displays fine.

Thanks again,
Gaël.