* [U-Boot] Watchdog DM - ENOMEM(out of memory) error
@ 2019-06-27 14:09 Suniel Mahesh
From: Suniel Mahesh @ 2019-06-27 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I am trying to convert watchdog driver(omap3_wdt) on TI AM33XX platform to Driver Model.

I am getting the following error:

U-Boot 2019.07-rc4-00179-g77f6e2d-dirty (Jun 27 2019 - 15:11:15 +0530)

CPU  : AM335X-GP rev 2.1
Model: TI AM335x BeagleBone Black
DRAM:  512 MiB
WDT:   Started with servicing (60s timeout)
Error binding driver 'omap_timer': -12
Error binding driver 'omap_timer': -12
Error binding driver 'omap_timer': -12
Error binding driver 'omap_timer': -12

The watchdog DM driver has successfully got binded (checked the debug log).

The error is related to ENOMEM(out of memory). After a bit of search on the mailing lists I found
out that may be tweaking CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN might resolve the error.

CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN is defined as 0x1000 initially, I changed it to 0x2000, 0x40000 and 0x8000
but the result stays the same..

Any pointers on what could be the issue ?

Regards
--
Suniel Mahesh
Embedded Linux, Kernel & U-Boot engineer

* [U-Boot] Watchdog DM - ENOMEM(out of memory) error
@ 2019-06-27 17:33 ` patrick.delaunay
From: patrick.delaunay @ 2019-06-27 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

The error is after the trace "DRAM:  512 MiB" , so after relocation!.

And in this case the CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN is used.

FYI: CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN  is used before relocation (tag '_F_ ')

Regards

Patrick

--
Sent from: http://u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/

* [U-Boot] Watchdog DM - ENOMEM(out of memory) error
@ 2019-06-28  5:23   ` Suniel Mahesh
From: Suniel Mahesh @ 2019-06-28  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Patrick,

thanks for the pointer and I understood your point.

CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN is defined as SZ_32M which should be enough i guess ?

still trying to figure out what is causing that error.

--

@ 2019-07-06 17:16     ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2019-07-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 23:23, Suniel Mahesh <sunil.m@techveda.org> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> thanks for the pointer and I understood your point.
>
> CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN is defined as SZ_32M which should be enough i guess ?
>
> still trying to figure out what is causing that error.

This is very strange, particularly the fact that the error reports.

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] Watchdog DM - ENOMEM(out of memory) error
@ 2019-07-07  9:34       ` Stefan Roese
From: Stefan Roese @ 2019-07-07  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Simon,

On 06.07.19 19:16, Simon Glass wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 at 23:23, Suniel Mahesh <sunil.m@techveda.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> thanks for the pointer and I understood your point.
>>
>> CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_LEN is defined as SZ_32M which should be enough i guess ?
>>
>> still trying to figure out what is causing that error.
>
> This is very strange, particularly the fact that the error reports.

This patch should fix this error:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1100435/

Thanks,
Stefan