* [Buildroot] Custom tarball and .config file
@ 2019-12-10  7:54 rscr
From: rscr @ 2019-12-10  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I am trying to use my Custom Tarball and I would like to use the
bcmrpi_defconfig as a base config for creating my custom linux config file.

Here are the paths I am using.

BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION="file://home/tec/rcr/tools/src/linux-rpi-4.19.y.tar.gz"
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE="/home/tec/rcr/projects/cp4/rscr_br2_extree/configs/ibLinux_defconfig"

I can build an image with that BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION and
the bcmrpi_defconfig, but now I would like to use my own .config based on
bcmrpi

1) Is there any way of using "make linux-menuconfig" pointing to my
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION path instead of  the /dl/linux
sources?

2) Is there any way of doing something like "make bcmrpi_defconfig", "make
linux-menuconfig"...just as for  the buildroot defconfig file?

Kind Regards,

Rafa

--
Sent from: http://buildroot-busybox.2317881.n4.nabble.com/

* [Buildroot] Custom tarball and .config file
@ 2019-12-10 13:11 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2019-12-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 01:54:32 -0600 (CST)
rscr <rafacrespiramon@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to use my Custom Tarball and I would like to use the
> bcmrpi_defconfig as a base config for creating my custom linux config file.
>
> Here are the paths I am using.
>
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION="file://home/tec/rcr/tools/src/linux-rpi-4.19.y.tar.gz"
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE="/home/tec/rcr/projects/cp4/rscr_br2_extree/configs/ibLinux_defconfig"
>
> I can build an image with that BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION and
> the bcmrpi_defconfig, but now I would like to use my own .config based on
> bcmrpi

So if I understand, the above configuration is working well for you ?

> 1) Is there any way of using "make linux-menuconfig" pointing to my
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION path instead of  the /dl/linux
> sources?

Well, if the above configuration with a file:// path is working for
you, why don't you simply use this ?

> 2) Is there any way of doing something like "make bcmrpi_defconfig", "make
> linux-menuconfig"...just as for  the buildroot defconfig file?

I'm not sure to follow you here. As long as Buildroot is configured
with the Linux kernel package enabled, you can run "make
linux-menuconfig".

To be honest, I am quite puzzled by your questions, so I believe there
is a misunderstanding somewhere.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Custom tarball and .config file
@ 2019-12-10 13:58   ` rscr
From: rscr @ 2019-12-10 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I am new on Linux and buildroot, so it is possible I have misunderstood many
things. I will try to explain:

For testing purposes, I'm using a local linux source, downloaded from the
raspberry's github: linux-rpi-4.19.y

I have added to the linux source a kernel driver that I am testing ( If I
build the kernel out of buildroot it builds correct )

Now I want to use that linux kernel on Buildroot, so I tar the source, and I
set:

BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL_LOCATION="file://home/tec/rcr/tools/src/linux-rpi-4.19.y.tar.gz"

This is my buildroot's kernel configuration

BR2_LINUX_KERNEL=y
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_TARBALL=y
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_USE_CUSTOM_CONFIG=y
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_CUSTOM_CONFIG_FILE="/home/tec/rcr/projects/cp4/rscr_br2_extree/configs/ibLinux_defconfig"
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_DTS_SUPPORT=y
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INTREE_DTS_NAME="bcm2708-rpi-zero-w"
BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_NEEDS_HOST_OPENSSL=y

Now my q?estion:

*How can I configure my custom kernel in buildroot, in order to select the
device drivers I have added? If I run linux-menuconfig does not appear the
driver on the Device Drivers menu. It seems it is pointing to another linux
source*

Kind Regards,

Rafa

--

@ 2019-12-12  6:59     ` rscr
From: rscr @ 2019-12-12  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I have realised that in /dl directory I had an old linux kernel version that
I was not cleaned with "distclean", so I think buildroot was using all time
that version, which did not include the kernel driver yet.

So first I will clean correctly the /dl directory and I will try again

Kind Regards,

Rafa

--

@ 2019-12-13 12:27       ` rscr
From: rscr @ 2019-12-13 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am still not able to configure the
kernel through "linux-menuconfig". I* would like to use the bcmrpi_defconfig
as base and add my kernel driver as <M>. How can I achieve it? *

My steps:

a) I've got my kernel source (linux-rpi-4.19.y) in /home/tec/rcr/tools/src
with the driver.c, Makefile and Kconfig edited (I can build the kernel
source outside of buildroot)
b) Tar the kernel source
c) I go into buildroot's directory. I've myproject_defconfig file into
br2_external so I run:
make BR2_EXTERNAL=~/rcr/projects/cp4/rscr_br2_extree myproject_defconfig
make menuconfig

myproject_defconfig.myproject_defconfig
<http://buildroot-busybox.2317881.n4.nabble.com/file/t2824/myproject_defconfig.myproject_defconfig>

e) Once the buildroot config is done, I run:
make linux-menuconfig

I get the following error:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'bcmrpi_defconfig'.  Stop.
linux/linux.mk:565: recipe for target
'/home/ibercomp/rcr/projects/cp4/buildroot/output/build/linux-custom/.stamp_dotconfig'
failed

What I am doing wrong?

Kind Regards

--