* rules.d on RHEL6
@ 2017-04-12 14:18 warron.french
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: warron.french @ 2017-04-12 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

It appears that this directory is not used at all on RHEL6.

I know I have mentioned this before; but it's true.  If I *move* my copy of
audit.rules from /etc/audit into the subdirectory rules.d and restart
audit; the audit.rules file is not recopied/regenerated or whatever by the
auditd.

This behavior is different from RHEL7; where if you delete the
/etc/audit/audit.rules file or move it to /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules;
the auditd functions as I expect.

Can someone please correct my understanding?  Is the /etc/audit/rules.d
directory not supposed to be usable in RHEL6; but is in RHEL7?
--------------------------
Warron French

* Re: rules.d on RHEL6
@ 2017-04-12 14:25 ` Bond Masuda
From: Bond Masuda @ 2017-04-12 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: warron.french; +Cc: linux-audit

There is a different default setting between rhel6 and 7. See /etc/default/auditd I think has a parameter that controls the use of /etc/audit/rules.d.

⁣Sent from my mobile phone, please excuse the brevity.​

@ 2017-04-12 14:33 ` Simon Sekidde
From: Simon Sekidde @ 2017-04-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: warron.french; +Cc: linux-audit

> It appears that this directory is not used at all on RHEL6.
>
> I know I have mentioned this before; but it's true. If I move my copy of
> audit.rules from /etc/audit into the subdirectory rules.d and restart audit;
> the audit.rules file is not recopied/regenerated or whatever by the auditd.
>
> This behavior is different from RHEL7; where if you delete the
> /etc/audit/audit.rules file or move it to /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules;
> the auditd functions as I expect.
>

> Can someone please correct my understanding? Is the /etc/audit/rules.d
> directory not supposed to be usable in RHEL6; but is in RHEL7?

Its usable but you have to run

 # augenrules --load

Note that this will overwrite /etc/audit/audit.rules

Simon Sekidde * Red Hat, Inc. * Tyson's Corner, VA
Solution Architect, NA Public Sector
gpg: 5848 958E 73BA 04D3 7C06 F096 1BA1 2DBF 94BC 377E

* Re: rules.d on RHEL6
@ 2017-04-12 15:51 ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2017-04-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:18:55 AM EDT warron.french wrote:
> It appears that this directory is not used at all on RHEL6.
>
> I know I have mentioned this before; but it's true.  If I *move* my copy of
> audit.rules from /etc/audit into the subdirectory rules.d and restart
> audit; the audit.rules file is not recopied/regenerated or whatever by the
> auditd.
>
> This behavior is different from RHEL7; where if you delete the
> /etc/audit/audit.rules file or move it to /etc/audit/rules.d/audit.rules;
> the auditd functions as I expect.

This is mostly correct. The issue with RHEL 6 is that the augenrules program
didn't exist when RHEL 6 was originally shipped. So, it would have been bad
and unexpected for the behavior to suddenly change during an update to a
shipped product. However, augenrules is useful and for anyone that wants to
use it on RHEL 6 they may do so by opting in.

If you read the text in /etc/sysconfig/auditd you will see an explanation of
how to enable augenrules.

-Steve