* SOF 1.5 release on FTP server
@ 2020-06-01  7:24 Paul Dann
From: Paul Dann @ 2020-06-01  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi there,

I'm eagerly awaiting the sof-firmware 1.5 builds to land on your server:

https://www.alsa-project.org/files/pub/misc/sof/

Archlinux builds its sof-firmware package from there. SOF 1.5 was
tagged on the 27th April on Github. I'm wondering if there are plans
to release a build for this version to the same place?

Many thanks,
Paul

* Re: SOF 1.5 release on FTP server
@ 2020-06-01  7:53 ` Jaroslav Kysela
       [not found]   ` <CALZj-VoLtoNbPZ1evLYqTxEg7XaTiEjgdB+WLE7duLfxF2ohLA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2020-06-01  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Dann, alsa-devel; +Cc: Pierre-louis Bossart

Dne 01. 06. 20 v 9:24 Paul Dann napsal(a):
> Hi there,
>
> I'm eagerly awaiting the sof-firmware 1.5 builds to land on your server:
>
> https://www.alsa-project.org/files/pub/misc/sof/
>
> Archlinux builds its sof-firmware package from there. SOF 1.5 was
> tagged on the 27th April on Github. I'm wondering if there are plans
> to release a build for this version to the same place?

I don't plan any new release on ALSA FTP. Intel releases signed firmware files
on github now:

https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin

Unfortunately, 1.5 version has serious bug in the topology files, so I don't
recommend to use it unless you compile the updated topology files yourself:

https://github.com/thesofproject/sof/issues/2937

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>

@ 2020-06-01  9:23     ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2020-06-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Dann; +Cc: ALSA development, Pierre-louis Bossart

Dne 01. 06. 20 v 10:14 Paul Dann napsal(a):
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 08:53, Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz> wrote:
>> I don't plan any new release on ALSA FTP. Intel releases signed firmware files
>> on github now:
>>
>> https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin
>
> Hi Jaroslav; many thanks for the fast response. It does seem that the
> Github version is missing a number of files that are present in your
> FTP version. I'd just like to check this doesn't represent a loss of
> functionality?

My FTP packages also include all unsigned firmware files compiled with gcc.
They are unusable for the most Intel platforms where only signed firmware
files can be loaded to DSP (security).

Those files are probably good for the development platforms, but they do not
have much value for the general Linux distros at the moment. I assume that
developers can compile own versions.

BTW: Fixed topology files for v1.5 (generic sof hda):

https://www.alsa-project.org/files/pub/misc/sof/sof-bin-topology-1.5-dmic-20db-fix.tar.gz

Use this on top of the sof-bin repo / v1.5 branch if you like. It seems that
the fix in sof-bin is delayed.

						Jaroslav

--

@ 2020-06-01 14:45       ` Kai Vehmanen
From: Kai Vehmanen @ 2020-06-01 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaroslav Kysela; +Cc: ALSA development, Pierre-louis Bossart, Paul Dann

Hey,

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Dne 01. 06. 20 v 10:14 Paul Dann napsal(a):
> > Hi Jaroslav; many thanks for the fast response. It does seem that the
> > Github version is missing a number of files that are present in your
> > FTP version. I'd just like to check this doesn't represent a loss of
> > functionality?
>
> My FTP packages also include all unsigned firmware files compiled with gcc.
> They are unusable for the most Intel platforms where only signed firmware
> files can be loaded to DSP (security).

Paul, I can confirm the sof-bin is the definitive location to get
the SOF binaries.

> BTW: Fixed topology files for v1.5 (generic sof hda):
>
> https://www.alsa-project.org/files/pub/misc/sof/sof-bin-topology-1.5-dmic-20db-fix.tar.gz
>
> Use this on top of the sof-bin repo / v1.5 branch if you like. It seems that
> the fix in sof-bin is delayed.

We also now have a stable release 1.4.3 available:
https://github.com/thesofproject/sof-bin/tree/stable-v1.4.3

... this helps to fix the freeze issue seen on some laptops with SOF 1.4.2
(e.g. https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues/1917 Paul you've
reported).

1.5.1 is indeed delayed. We are trying to expedite the process.

Br, Kai

* Re: SOF 1.5 release on FTP server
@ 2020-06-07 20:13         ` Paul Dann
From: Paul Dann @ 2020-06-07 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ALSA development

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 15:45, Kai Vehmanen <kai.vehmanen@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Paul, I can confirm the sof-bin is the definitive location to get
> the SOF binaries.

Many thanks both for confirming the new source. I notice that the old
FTP package contains the following .ri and .ldc files that are not
present in the new Github repo:

sof-hsw
sof-imx8
sof-jsl
sof-kbl
sof-skl
sof-sue

I'd just like to double-check that shipping the new package without
these files won't lead to reduced functionality?

@ 2020-06-08 13:28           ` Pierre-Louis Bossart
From: Pierre-Louis Bossart @ 2020-06-08 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Dann, ALSA development, Liam Girdwood

On 6/7/20 3:13 PM, Paul Dann wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 15:45, Kai Vehmanen <kai.vehmanen@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> Paul, I can confirm the sof-bin is the definitive location to get
>> the SOF binaries.
>
> Many thanks both for confirming the new source. I notice that the old
> FTP package contains the following .ri and .ldc files that are not
> present in the new Github repo:

It's a clean-up indeed.

> sof-hsw

No longer supported (and no commercial platforms known to use the DSP)

> sof-imx8

This would need to be provided by NXP. Each company is responsible for
providing the firmware for their platforms.

> sof-jsl

Not fully supported upstream, but indeed we need to check this one. Liam?

> sof-kbl
> sof-skl

Not supported.

> sof-sue

I don't think this was ever supported outside of Intel

> I'd just like to double-check that shipping the new package without
> these files won't lead to reduced functionality?

we'll check this JSL (JasperLake) firmware but for existing platforms
this looks fine.