* Full specifications available for RealTek 8180 wireless chipset
@ 2003-10-16  8:56 Roberto Di Cosmo
From: Roberto Di Cosmo @ 2003-10-16  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: fedor

Having experienced a large set of delusions using the closed source
drivers for the  RealTek 8180 wireless chipset available on
RealTek web site on a stock kernel 2.4.20, that do confirm the
posting of fedor@karpelevitch.net on September 11 2003 about
kernel freeze with stock 2.4.22, I politely complained with
RealTek, suggesting they open the code or release the chipset
specifications to the community.

I received today the full chipset specifications, that I uploaded
to http://www.dicosmo.org/RTL8180spec_1_3.pdf

I hope this may help, if somebody is willing to undertake writing
a real, full fledged, Linux-quality driver for this chipset.

Sorry for not being able to do this myself.

Yours

--Roberto Di Cosmo

P.S.: I apologize for posting without being subscribed to the list.

* Re: Full specifications available for RealTek 8180 wireless chipset
@ 2003-10-16 11:21 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-10-16 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Di Cosmo; +Cc: linux-kernel, fedor

Roberto Di Cosmo wrote:
> Having experienced a large set of delusions using the closed source
> drivers for the  RealTek 8180 wireless chipset available on
> RealTek web site on a stock kernel 2.4.20, that do confirm the
> posting of fedor@karpelevitch.net on September 11 2003 about
> kernel freeze with stock 2.4.22, I politely complained with
> RealTek, suggesting they open the code or release the chipset
> specifications to the community.
>
> I received today the full chipset specifications, that I uploaded
> to http://www.dicosmo.org/RTL8180spec_1_3.pdf
>
> I hope this may help, if somebody is willing to undertake writing
> a real, full fledged, Linux-quality driver for this chipset.
>
> Sorry for not being able to do this myself.

Having announced this to thousands of people -- including RealTek
subscribers, no doubt -- you have poisoned any effort to write a driver
off this obviously-stolen document.

I hope others learn from your example, of what NOT to do.

Thanks for damaging my efforts to work on this through RealTek,

	Jeff

* Re: Full specifications available for RealTek 8180 wireless chipset
@ 2003-10-16 12:45   ` roberto
From: roberto @ 2003-10-16 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Roberto Di Cosmo, linux-kernel, fedor

Who told you the document is stolen?

I received it *officially* from RealTek's support people.

Nevetheless, since you seem to imply that people inside RealTek might "leak"
this document against the orders of their hierarchy, I am removing it, and
I will only put it back online, and reannounce it, when I have _written_
authorization from their headquarters, instead of just a mail.

Thanks for casting doubt on the honesty and reliability of RealTek's
employees, something I would never have imagined before your post

--Roberto Di Cosmo