* hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-01 11:19 Thomas Charbonnel
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-11-01 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now done,
and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
Latest patches and tools can be found here :
http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
9652 cards.
Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs testing
as I do not have the hardware.

People testing this should remove their asound.state file from the way
because the number or numid of ctls may have change.

Takashi, I noticed that though it's been in cvs for some time now,
hdspconf is still not included in alsa-tools releases, is there a reason
for this ?

Thomas

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-01 14:01 ` Mark Knecht
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Knecht @ 2003-11-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: Alsa-Devel

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 03:19, Thomas Charbonnel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
> process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now done,
> and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
> Latest patches and tools can be found here :
> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
> Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
> 9652 cards.
> Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs testing
> as I do not have the hardware.
>
> People testing this should remove their asound.state file from the way
> because the number or numid of ctls may have change.
>
> Takashi, I noticed that though it's been in cvs for some time now,
> hdspconf is still not included in alsa-tools releases, is there a reason
> for this ?
>
> Thomas

Hi Thomas,
   Welcome back, and thanks for all the efforts. Your work has been so
helpful in getting my system running. It wouldn't be running without
you.

   I really look forward to getting all of this into CVS and no longer
having to do patches!

   Thanks again.

Cheers,
Mark

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-03  9:14 ` Roslyn Hoskin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Roslyn Hoskin @ 2003-11-03  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel, alsa-devel

Hello all,

I'm a friend of Nick Arnold who has previously posted to the alsa -devel
regarding problems with the hdsp9652 card. I am using the same system as
him.

Whereby we are running

RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card working
> with ALSA 0.9.8 on a SMP redhat 9 box.  We're trying to use 12 input
> channels and three output channels, running at 48Khz

and interleaving our the channels in our code to run at 96kHz. we are
syncing against an external word clock. and the system clock needs to be
set as a slave

I'm trying to get the card to run at 96 kHz with the sample sync source
(using the 0.9.8 driver and thomas patches and hdpsconf and hdspmixer).

When i change to autosync running @ 96kHz the system source clock
changes to master and the card will not open.
below is the error I get?

.ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:324:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS
failed: Operation not permitted
ACCESS:  MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S32_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 32
FRAME_BITS: 448
CHANNELS: 14
RATE: NONE
PERIOD_TIME: (85333 85334)
PERIOD_SIZE: 8192
PERIOD_BYTES: 458752
PERIODS: 2
BUFFER_TIME: (170666 170667)
BUFFER_SIZE: 16384
BUFFER_BYTES: 917504
TICK_TIME: 10000

When I changed to autosync @ 96 kHz the hdspmixer shows 26 input
channels and not 14?

When I change to internal 96kHz the hdspmixer shows 14 channels but the
sync check on ADAT1 In, ADAT2 In, ADAT3 IN and WordClock change from
Sync to lock and vice versa constanty.

Any Help on this would be great??

Thomas the hdspconf looks great, much easier to use than amixer!!!
Thankyou and thanks also for the Patches!!

Thanks
Roslyn Hoskin

Thomas Charbonnel wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
>process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now done,
>and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
>Latest patches and tools can be found here :
>http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
>Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
>9652 cards.
>Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs testing
>as I do not have the hardware.
>
>People testing this should remove their asound.state file from the way
>because the number or numid of ctls may have change.
>
>Takashi, I noticed that though it's been in cvs for some time now,
>hdspconf is still not included in alsa-tools releases, is there a reason
>for this ?
>
>Thomas

NAUTRONIX LTD
MARINE TECHNOLOGY SOLUTIONS

Roslyn Hoskin
Software Engineer

Nautronix Ltd ABN 28 009 019 603
108 Marine Terrace, Fremantle, WA 6160, Australia
T +61 (0) 8 9431 0000, F +61 (0) 8 9430 5901, http://www.nautronix.com

E roslyn.hoskin@nautronix.com.au

--
This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nautronix Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this email in error and use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please contact the sender.

Although our computer systems use active virus protection software, and we take various measures to reduce the risk of viruses being transmitted in e-mail messages and attachments sent from this company, we cannot guarantee that such
e-mail messages and attachments are free from viruses on receipt.  It is a condition of our using e-mail to correspond with you, that any and all liability on our part arising directly or indirectly out of any virus is excluded.
Please ensure that you run virus checking software on all e-mail messages and attachments before reading them.

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-03 12:15 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-11-03 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:19:52 +0100 (CET),
Thomas Charbonnel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
> process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now done,
> and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
> Latest patches and tools can be found here :
> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
> Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
> 9652 cards.
> Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs testing
> as I do not have the hardware.

thanks, i'll try to merge later.
is the patch against to cvs or 0.9.8?

> People testing this should remove their asound.state file from the way
> because the number or numid of ctls may have change.
>
> Takashi, I noticed that though it's been in cvs for some time now,
> hdspconf is still not included in alsa-tools releases, is there a reason
> for this ?

it was mistakenly not included in the tarball.
this should have been fixed.

ciao,

Takashi

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-03 13:31   ` Thomas Charbonnel
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-11-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: roslyn.hoskin; +Cc: alsa-devel

> Hello all,
>
> I'm a friend of Nick Arnold who has previously posted to the alsa -devel
>  regarding problems with the hdsp9652 card. I am using the same system
> as  him.
>
> Whereby we are running
>
> RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card working
>> with ALSA 0.9.8 on a SMP redhat 9 box.  We're trying to use 12 input
>> channels and three output channels, running at 48Khz
>
> and interleaving our the channels in our code to run at 96kHz. we are
> syncing against an external word clock. and the system clock needs to be
>  set as a slave
>
> I'm trying to get the card to run at 96 kHz with the sample sync source
>  (using the 0.9.8 driver and thomas patches and hdpsconf and hdspmixer).
>
> When i change to autosync running @ 96kHz the system source clock
> changes to master and the card will not open.
> below is the error I get?
>
> .ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:324:(snd_pcm_hw_hw_params) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS
> failed: Operation not permitted
> ACCESS:  MMAP_NONINTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S32_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 32
> FRAME_BITS: 448
> CHANNELS: 14
> RATE: NONE
> PERIOD_TIME: (85333 85334)
> PERIOD_SIZE: 8192
> PERIOD_BYTES: 458752
> PERIODS: 2
> BUFFER_TIME: (170666 170667)
> BUFFER_SIZE: 16384
> BUFFER_BYTES: 917504
> TICK_TIME: 10000
>
> When I changed to autosync @ 96 kHz the hdspmixer shows 26 input
> channels and not 14?
>

> When I change to internal 96kHz the hdspmixer shows 14 channels but the
> sync check on ADAT1 In, ADAT2 In, ADAT3 IN and WordClock change from
> Sync to lock and vice versa constanty.
>

> Any Help on this would be great??

Here is how things are supposed to work :
You have the choice between AutoSync mode and Internal clock modes. For
the card to successfully switch to AutoSync mode there must be a valid
clock source in the range of the speed mode you're using, that is SR <=
48000 for normal mode and SR > 48000 for double speed mode. So if the card
is set up on Internal 44.1 kHz and you want to sync on a 96 kHz external
clock, you first have to manually switch to Internal 96 kHz, make sure you
have a valid 96 kHz external clock signal, and then you can switch to
AutoSync.
The constant switch between Sync and Lock your describing is caused by
slight skewing between the external and internal clocks.

> Thomas the hdspconf looks great, much easier to use than amixer!!!
> Thankyou and thanks also for the Patches!!

My pleasure :)

Thomas

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-04 17:25 ` Justin Cormack
From: Justin Cormack @ 2003-11-04 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa list

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 11:19, Thomas Charbonnel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
> process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now done,
> and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
> Latest patches and tools can be found here :
> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
> Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
> 9652 cards.
> Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs testing
> as I do not have the hardware.

Thanks very much, this fixes hdsp9652 matrix mixer and it appears to be
working perfectly. hdspmixer appears to work on a quick test with 9652.
Excellent work.

(tested with todays cvs alsa).

thanks very much

Justin Cormack

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-04 18:24   ` Winfried Ritsch
From: Winfried Ritsch @ 2003-11-04 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa list

Hello,

 Thanx for the work, just 2 cosmetic questions:

 (just testing and comparing HDSP9552 /HDSP9632  and HDSP-MADI on
 function, so I fall over these:)

  I have a questions to the patch:

  1)
     +#define H9632_SS_CHANNELS	 12
     +#define H9632_DS_CHANNELS	 8
     +#define H9632_QS_CHANNELS	 4

    I always thought the HDSP96 can use 16 channels in Single speed
     since you can use
      adat (8) + analog (2) + spdif (2) + optional 4 channels expansion
     at the same time.

 2) different IOextents on different cards

     +#define HDSP_IO_EXTENT     7168

    maybe its safer to use

    io_extent= pci_resource_len(pci,0);

    (in the hdsp_createfunction instead of giving a fix one.)

 3) should we change the the hw_params so that only needed channels are
    enabled (and change the ruleset to it) ?

mfg winfried ritsch

Justin Cormack writes:
>On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 11:19, Thomas Charbonnel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
>> process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now done,
>> and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
>> Latest patches and tools can be found here :
>> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
>> Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
>> 9652 cards.
>> Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs testing
>> as I do not have the hardware.
>
>Thanks very much, this fixes hdsp9652 matrix mixer and it appears to be
>working perfectly. hdspmixer appears to work on a quick test with 9652.
>Excellent work.
>
>(tested with todays cvs alsa).
>
>thanks very much
>
>Justin Cormack

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-11-05  2:38 ` Roslyn Hoskin
From: Roslyn Hoskin @ 2003-11-05  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hello all,

I'm a friend of Nick Arnold who has previously posted to the alsa -devel
regarding problems with the hdsp9652 card. I am using the same system as
him.

Whereby we are running

RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 card working

> with ALSA 0.9.8 on a SMP redhat 9 box.  We're trying to use 12 input
> channels and three output channels, running at 48Khz

We are interleaving our the channels in our code to run at 96kHz. we are

@ 2003-11-06 14:14     ` Thomas Charbonnel
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-11-06 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winfried Ritsch; +Cc: alsa list

Winfried Ritsch wrote :

> Hello,
>
>  Thanx for the work, just 2 cosmetic questions:
>
>  (just testing and comparing HDSP9552 /HDSP9632  and HDSP-MADI on
>  function, so I fall over these:)
>

>   I have a questions to the patch:
>
>   1)
>      +#define H9632_SS_CHANNELS	 12
>      +#define H9632_DS_CHANNELS	 8
>      +#define H9632_QS_CHANNELS	 4
>
>     I always thought the HDSP96 can use 16 channels in Single speed
>      since you can use
>       adat (8) + analog (2) + spdif (2) + optional 4 channels expansion
>      at the same time.

It is the case. You seem to have missed the comment just above those
lines stating that extension boards were checked for at initialization time.

>  2) different IOextents on different cards
>
>      +#define HDSP_IO_EXTENT     7168
>
>     maybe its safer to use
>
>     io_extent= pci_resource_len(pci,0);
>
>     (in the hdsp_createfunction instead of giving a fix one.)

This covers only the specific part of the card's memory we need to map.

>  3) should we change the the hw_params so that only needed channels are
>     enabled (and change the ruleset to it) ?

This is not essential for non-madi cards, but if this results in a
performance enhancement, maybe we should backport your work to the
non-madi driver. On the other hand how would you handle the capture side
of this ? As you mentioned in an earlier post, during playback as few as
one channel can be used and still, thanks to the matrix mixer, any
physical output can send the signal. For recording this is a problem
because capture channels are hardwired to physical inputs. How would you
choose the recording channel ?

@ 2003-11-03 19:11 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-11-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Charbonnel; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:39:19 +0100 (CET),
Thomas Charbonnel wrote:

> > At Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:19:52 +0100 (CET),
> > Thomas Charbonnel wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
> process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now
> done, and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
> >> Latest patches and tools can be found here :
> >> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
> >> Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
> 9652 cards.
> >> Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs
> testing as I do not have the hardware.
> >
> > thanks, i'll try to merge later.
> > is the patch against to cvs or 0.9.8?
> >

> It's against cvs from a few days. The only differences with 0.9.8 were 1
> liners IIRC, so the patch should apply to both, I think.

i applied patches and updated hdsp* stuffs in alsa-tools now.
please check later if it's ok for you.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: hdsp driver and tools update
@ 2003-11-03 13:39 Thomas Charbonnel
From: Thomas Charbonnel @ 2003-11-03 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

> At Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:19:52 +0100 (CET),
> Thomas Charbonnel wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I apologize for having been so silent the last few weeks, I was in the
process of moving from Lyon, France to Berlin, Germany. This is now
done, and I resumed my work on the hdsp driver and tools.
>> Latest patches and tools can be found here :
>> http://www.undata.org/~thomas/
>> Mojor changes include support for hdsp 9632 cards and bugfixes for hdsp
9652 cards.
>> Hdspconf and hdspmixer now support 96xx cards, though this needs
testing as I do not have the hardware.

> thanks, i'll try to merge later.
> is the patch against to cvs or 0.9.8?

It's against cvs from a few days. The only differences with 0.9.8 were 1
liners IIRC, so the patch should apply to both, I think.

>> Takashi, I noticed that though it's been in cvs for some time now,
hdspconf is still not included in alsa-tools releases, is there a
reason for this ?

> it was mistakenly not included in the tarball.
> this should have been fixed.

Thanks !

Thomas