* RME HDSP-MADI driver ready to check in...
@ 2004-01-21 17:12 Winfried Ritsch
From: Winfried Ritsch @ 2004-01-21 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello,

I have finished the ALSA RME HDSP-MADI driver

 ( see http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdspmadi.htm )

I have it running for testing now since Oktober and think it is quite
stable. I also implemented the 192kHz stuff but had no hardware to
test this. I made one file hdspm.c and a header hdspm.h . Also I did a
description of config options (now only in german, but can be
translated, and some testing programms.

So my question are:

 -  how to commit it.

 - where to place hdspm.c (since pci/rme9652 is somewhat misleading). My
suggestion is renaming rme9652 folder in pci to rme and also put the
rme96.c in it or put it in the pci/ folder.

 - is there a place to put the hdspm test-apps and docu somewhere ?
  or should I setup a own page for it (wiki) ?

mfg Winfried Ritsch

--
- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch _AT_ iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* Re: RME HDSP-MADI driver ready to check in...
@ 2004-01-21 18:21 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2004-01-21 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Winfried Ritsch; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:12:35 +0100,
Winfried Ritsch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have finished the ALSA RME HDSP-MADI driver

great!

>  ( see http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdspmadi.htm )
>
> I have it running for testing now since Oktober and think it is quite
> stable. I also implemented the 192kHz stuff but had no hardware to
> test this. I made one file hdspm.c and a header hdspm.h . Also I did a
> description of config options (now only in german, but can be
> translated, and some testing programms.

note that, in general, the new drivers will be put firstly into
alsa-driver tree.  it will be moved to alsa-kernel later, to be
submitted to the 2.6 kernel tree.

also, please prepare the addition to alsa-driver/INSTALL (additional
modules section), too.

> So my question are:
>
>  -  how to commit it.

send the patch to here alsa-devel ML, or Jaroslav or me.
we'll review it and commit to cvs then.

>  - where to place hdspm.c (since pci/rme9652 is somewhat misleading). My
> suggestion is renaming rme9652 folder in pci to rme and also put the
> rme96.c in it or put it in the pci/ folder.

when the code is a single file, it can be located directly in pci
directory.  sub-directories are basically for the driver with several
files.

is hdspm.h needed to be public, i.e. a user-space tool needs to refer
that?  if yes, it goes to include directory.

BTW, renaming (especially directory) or moving a file is a bad idea
for the cvs.  bk can handle it better, but still confusing, i think.

>  - is there a place to put the hdspm test-apps and docu somewhere ?
>   or should I setup a own page for it (wiki) ?

documents will be put into alsa-driver/docs directory, which will be
eventually go to alsa-kernel/Documentation.
test applications can be in alsa-drivers/test directory.

ciao,

Takashi

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn