* mdadm create keeps giving error about existing file system
@ 2004-09-21 21:44 Lucas Albers
From: Lucas Albers @ 2004-09-21 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

While trying to create a software raid set:
with the following command:
mdadm --create etc etc etc
The correct syntax.

I get the following error:
"/dev/blah appears to contain an ext2fs file system"

I have tried the following methods to resolve the error:
1.) deleting the partition,
then remaking the partiton with a different partition type.
including the compulsory reboots.

2.) clearing the superblock.
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/partition

Any ideas?
Just dd the parition?

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering

* Re: mdadm create keeps giving error about existing file system
@ 2004-09-21 23:37 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2004-09-21 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: admin; +Cc: linux-raid

On Tuesday September 21, admin@cs.montana.edu wrote:
> While trying to create a software raid set:
> with the following command:
> mdadm --create etc etc etc
> The correct syntax.
>
> I get the following error:
> "/dev/blah appears to contain an ext2fs file system"
>
> I have tried the following methods to resolve the error:
> 1.) deleting the partition,
> then remaking the partiton with a different partition type.
> including the compulsory reboots.
>
> 2.) clearing the superblock.
> mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/partition
>
> Any ideas?

It's not an error, it is a warning.
After the warning, it asks you if you really want to create the raid
array.

Just say "yes".

> Just dd the parition?

no point.