* fio: uses the opposite symbol for kibibytes/kilobytes (Kb/KiB) than ISO 80000-1
@ 2017-08-28  9:06 Martin Steigerwald
From: Martin Steigerwald @ 2017-08-28  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I bcc´ed Debian bug report for this initial mail so it receives a record that
I forwarded this issue upstream.

Hello Jens,

I got this bug report for fio Debian package:

fio: uses the opposite symbol for kibibytes/kilobytes (Kb/KiB) than ISO 80000-1
https://bugs.debian.org/872321

Its right. Completely right. The current behavior of fio is broken.

But if I choose to divert from upstream default, I break *all included
examples* unless I patch them up to and I risk bug reports "my script broke
cause you decided to divert from upstream default behavior". Additionally
currently it seems to me that I have to patch fio source code, unless fio
supports a global configuration file in /etc, which, I believe, it does not.

What do you suggest me to do?

I am currently pondering the following options:

- Adding a warning note to NEWS.Debian and README.Debian that at least users
who have apt-listchanges installed will see.

- Add a debconf configuration option aka "Yes, be correct and break all
scripts", "No, let me stay compatible with upstream". But that wouldn´t
possible anyway unless there is a global configuration file for fio.

None of these options sound appealing to me.

I really think this issue needs to be dealt with upstream, but I honestly do
not know how either. But just staying with the broken behavior for eternity
does not seem right to me. I think the move to fio 3 would have been an
opportunity, but thats gone.

I wonder about the following compromize:

- blocksize=4k => KiB, 4096
- blocksize=4kb => KB, 4000
- blocksize=4kib => KiB, 4096

This at least won´t break existing scripts unless they used kib, gib and so
on, I think.

And it would at least fix:

% fio --name=rand-read --bs=4k --size=1GiB --iodepth=64 --runtime=10 --
rw=randread
[…]
rand-read: Laying out IO file(s) (1 file(s) / 953MiB)
[…]

which is just as broken as it can become. Seriously, 1 GiB is not 953 MiB.
Period.

Even if thats an uncomfortable issue to deal with, I honestly don´t really see
it as my responsibility as a package maintainer to fix up broken upstream
behavior and probably receive the blame for doing so. If you choose to stay
with the current behavior I may at least add a note in NEWS.Debian and
README.Debian about the broken behavior tough.

Martin Steigerwald  | Trainer

teamix GmbH
Südwestpark 43
90449 Nürnberg

Tel.:  +49 911 30999 55 | Fax: +49 911 30999 99
mail: martin.steigerwald@teamix.de | web:  http://www.teamix.de | blog: http://blog.teamix.de

Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB 18320 | Geschäftsführer: Oliver Kügow, Richard Müller, Jason Clark, Jakob Høholdt

teamix Support Hotline: +49 911 30999-112

 *** Bitte liken Sie uns auf Facebook: facebook.com/teamix ***