* OpenEmbedded Metadata: Recipe update broken
@ 2016-02-03 13:41 Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-02-03 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

Hi,

FAQ for layerindex says recipes are updated every 3 hours but I think
it does not work. E.g meta-oe geis/grail/frame are not mentioned but
were committed few days ago.

Andreas

* Re: OpenEmbedded Metadata: Recipe update broken
@ 2016-02-03 19:10 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-02-03 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Müller; +Cc: Yocto Project

Hi Andreas,

On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:41:42 Andreas Müller wrote:
> FAQ for layerindex says recipes are updated every 3 hours but I think
> it does not work. E.g meta-oe geis/grail/frame are not mentioned but
> were committed few days ago.

I do know there's a problem, but I'm honestly not sure what's causing it.
Unfortunately I don't have time to dig into it now but let me see if I can
resync meta-oe at least.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: OpenEmbedded Metadata: Recipe update broken
@ 2016-02-03 20:06   ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-02-03 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:41:42 Andreas Müller wrote:
>> FAQ for layerindex says recipes are updated every 3 hours but I think
>> it does not work. E.g meta-oe geis/grail/frame are not mentioned but
>> were committed few days ago.
>
> I do know there's a problem, but I'm honestly not sure what's causing it.
> Unfortunately I don't have time to dig into it now but let me see if I can
> resync meta-oe at least.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

No need for manual update - it was just a heads up. I was not sure
that it is a known issue.

@ 2016-02-19  7:05     ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-02-19  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Andreas Müller
<schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 14:41:42 Andreas Müller wrote:
>>> FAQ for layerindex says recipes are updated every 3 hours but I think
>>> it does not work. E.g meta-oe geis/grail/frame are not mentioned but
>>> were committed few days ago.
>>
>> I do know there's a problem, but I'm honestly not sure what's causing it.
>> Unfortunately I don't have time to dig into it now but let me see if I can
>> resync meta-oe at least.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul
>>
> No need for manual update - it was just a heads up. I was not sure
> that it is a known issue.

I checked in history:

meta-openwrt added 4 weeks ago is the last layer for that was
analyzed. meta-cpan and all published after that were not analysed
anymore - they are reported having no recipes.

As this is a strong tool I have at daily use: Is there something I can
do to get this working again?

@ 2016-02-19  9:41       ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2016-02-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Müller, Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 19/02/2016 08:05, "yocto-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of Andreas
Müller" <yocto-bounces@yoctoproject.org on behalf of
schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Andreas Müller
><schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Paul Eggleton
>> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Andreas,

>>> I do know there's a problem, but I'm honestly not sure what's causing
>>>it.
>>> Unfortunately I don't have time to dig into it now but let me see if I
>>>can
>>> resync meta-oe at least.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Paul
>>>
>> No need for manual update - it was just a heads up. I was not sure
>> that it is a known issue.
>>
>I checked in history:
>
>meta-openwrt added 4 weeks ago is the last layer for that was
>analyzed. meta-cpan and all published after that were not analysed
>anymore - they are reported having no recipes.
>
>As this is a strong tool I have at daily use: Is there something I can
>do to get this working again?

+1. Toaster relies on the layer index to bootstrap metadata information,
which is critical to everything Toaster does.

Hopefully we can do something about it.

Cheers

Belén

@ 2016-07-13  4:00       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-07-13  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Müller, Yocto Project

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:05:09 Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Andreas Müller
> <schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Paul Eggleton
> > <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I do know there's a problem, but I'm honestly not sure what's causing it.
> >> Unfortunately I don't have time to dig into it now but let me see if I
> >> can resync meta-oe at least.
> >
> > No need for manual update - it was just a heads up. I was not sure
> > that it is a known issue.
>
> I checked in history:
>
> meta-openwrt added 4 weeks ago is the last layer for that was
> analyzed. meta-cpan and all published after that were not analysed
> anymore - they are reported having no recipes.
>
> As this is a strong tool I have at daily use: Is there something I can
> do to get this working again?

So, it was a long time coming, but I finally figured out what was going wrong
at least for some cases - basically, newer versions of GitPython actually
recognise renamed files instead of treating them as an add and a delete, but
since I didn't know about this change I didn't fix the layer index code to
accommodate this. With the recent layer index upgrade to support Python 3 for
master, the fix for this issue was also applied, and each layer is also now
parsed in a separate subprocess which should finally take care of memory leaks
and any other rubbish being left behind affecting parsing of subsequent
layers. Hopefully we shouldn't see any more of this type of problem again
(aside from actually broken metadata) but as always please do let me know if
you see anything strange.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2016-08-25 16:14         ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-08-25 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:05:09 Andreas Müller wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Andreas Müller
>> <schnitzeltony@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> > No need for manual update - it was just a heads up. I was not sure
>> > that it is a known issue.
>>
>> I checked in history:
>>
>> meta-openwrt added 4 weeks ago is the last layer for that was
>> analyzed. meta-cpan and all published after that were not analysed
>> anymore - they are reported having no recipes.
>>
>> As this is a strong tool I have at daily use: Is there something I can
>> do to get this working again?
>
> So, it was a long time coming, but I finally figured out what was going wrong
> at least for some cases - basically, newer versions of GitPython actually
> recognise renamed files instead of treating them as an add and a delete, but
> since I didn't know about this change I didn't fix the layer index code to
> accommodate this. With the recent layer index upgrade to support Python 3 for
> master, the fix for this issue was also applied, and each layer is also now
> parsed in a separate subprocess which should finally take care of memory leaks
> and any other rubbish being left behind affecting parsing of subsequent
> layers. Hopefully we shouldn't see any more of this type of problem again
> (aside from actually broken metadata) but as always please do let me know if
> you see anything strange.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Hi,

seems layer list update is broken again e.g I am committing on
meta-qt5-extra regularly but last commit reported is one month ago.

@ 2016-08-26  4:25           ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-08-26  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Halstead; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:14:23 Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 6:00 AM, Paul Eggleton
> <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:05:09 Andreas Müller wrote:

> >> I checked in history:
> >>
> >> meta-openwrt added 4 weeks ago is the last layer for that was
> >> analyzed. meta-cpan and all published after that were not analysed
> >> anymore - they are reported having no recipes.
> >>
> >> As this is a strong tool I have at daily use: Is there something I can
> >> do to get this working again?
> >
> > So, it was a long time coming, but I finally figured out what was going
> > wrong at least for some cases - basically, newer versions of GitPython
> > actually recognise renamed files instead of treating them as an add and a
> > delete, but since I didn't know about this change I didn't fix the layer
> > index code to accommodate this. With the recent layer index upgrade to
> > support Python 3 for master, the fix for this issue was also applied, and
> > each layer is also now parsed in a separate subprocess which should
> > finally take care of memory leaks and any other rubbish being left behind
> > affecting parsing of subsequent layers. Hopefully we shouldn't see any
> > more of this type of problem again (aside from actually broken metadata)
> > but as always please do let me know if you see anything strange.
>
> seems layer list update is broken again e.g I am committing on
> meta-qt5-extra regularly but last commit reported is one month ago.

Michael, I'm still not receiving any layer index update script emails. Is
there a way we can fix that so I can see what might be going wrong?

Thanks,
Paul

--

@ 2016-09-20 23:29           ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2016-09-20 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Müller; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:14:23 Andreas Müller wrote:
> seems layer list update is broken again e.g I am committing on
> meta-qt5-extra regularly but last commit reported is one month ago.

OK, finally we should be back up and running with updates. We're still fixing
an issue to do with registering new accounts but that too should be sorted in
the next day or so. Sorry about the delay.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2016-09-21  6:19             ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-09-21  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 1:29 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:14:23 Andreas Müller wrote:
>> seems layer list update is broken again e.g I am committing on
>> meta-qt5-extra regularly but last commit reported is one month ago.
>
> OK, finally we should be back up and running with updates. We're still fixing
> an issue to do with registering new accounts but that too should be sorted in
> the next day or so. Sorry about the delay.

Thanks everybody for taking care - layer index is a very useful tool
for me avoiding double efforts - from time to time :)

@ 2016-09-21 17:05             ` Philip Balister
From: Philip Balister @ 2016-09-21 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton, Andreas Müller; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 09/20/2016 07:29 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:14:23 Andreas Müller wrote:
>> seems layer list update is broken again e.g I am committing on
>> meta-qt5-extra regularly but last commit reported is one month ago.
>
> OK, finally we should be back up and running with updates. We're still fixing
> an issue to do with registering new accounts but that too should be sorted in
> the next day or so. Sorry about the delay.

I'm working on PyQt5, does that belong in meta-qt5 or meta-qt5-extras?

Philip

PS: Checking commit og in case it is in -extras already :)

* Re: OpenEmbedded Metadata: Recipe update broken
@ 2016-09-21 20:43               ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2016-09-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Balister; +Cc: Paul Eggleton, Yocto Project

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 7:05 PM, Philip Balister <philip@balister.org> wrote:
> On 09/20/2016 07:29 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 18:14:23 Andreas Müller wrote:
>>> seems layer list update is broken again e.g I am committing on
>>> meta-qt5-extra regularly but last commit reported is one month ago.
>>
>> OK, finally we should be back up and running with updates. We're still fixing
>> an issue to do with registering new accounts but that too should be sorted in
>> the next day or so. Sorry about the delay.
>
> I'm working on PyQt5, does that belong in meta-qt5 or meta-qt5-extras?
>
> Philip
>
> PS: Checking commit og in case it is in -extras already :)
I'd prefer putting them to meta-qt5. There they are under the quality
hood of Martin's world

Andreas