* Re: Accessing DiskonChip
       [not found] <14808.1041861477@passion.cambridge.redhat.com>
@ 2003-01-07  6:01 ` Sanal Kumar
From: Sanal Kumar @ 2003-01-07  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Woodhouse; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-mtd

Hi David,

I have added following lines in the docprobe.c

static unsigned long __initdata doc_locations[] = {
#elif defined (__arm__)
	0x18000000,
#else
#warning ---
#endif
0};

So i think I dont need to define it in
CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_ADDRESS.

And My log message is like this .

DiskOnChip Millennium found at address 0x18000000
Flash chip found: Manufacturer ID: 98, Chip ID: E6
(Toshiba TC58V64AFT/DC)
1 flash chips found. Total DiskOnChip size: 8 MiB

out-of-line wait
_DoC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
.
. _DoC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
Could not find valid boot record
Could not mount NFTL device

In Our board SA_A1 ->DOC_A0 .....  SA_A13->DOC_A12 ,So
there is <<1 .

I have changed the ReadDOC_ and WriteDOC_
in include/linux/mtd/doc2000.h
#define ReadDOC_(adr,reg) readb(((unsigned
long)adr)+((reg(<<1));
#define WriteDOC_(d,adr,reg) writeb(d,((unsigned
long)adr)+((reg(<<1));

I am able to read & write to /dev/mtd0  using dd.

I have added nftl support. So i need to support make a
filesystem on disk on chip How can I do that.

Best Regards
Sanal.

--- David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> p_sanalk@yahoo.com said:
> > I am working on an Assabet like board. I am trying
> to make a
> > filesystem on msystem Disk on chip.(The board
> boots using ramdisk).
>
> > I have added entries for mtd* and nftl* in in /dev
>

> You haven't set CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_ADDRESS and
> since you're not on a
> platform which has standard addresses at which to
> probe for a DiskOnChip,
> the driver has no idea where to look for it.
>
> Set CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_ADDRESS to the physical
> address at which the
> DiskOnChip is mapped, and check the definitions of
> ReadDOC_ and WriteDOC_
> in include/linux/mtd/doc2000.h are correct for the
> way you've wired it up.
>
> --
> dwmw2

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: Accessing DiskonChip
@ 2003-01-07  8:51   ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2003-01-07  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanal Kumar; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-mtd

p_sanalk@yahoo.com said:
>  I have added nftl support. So i need to support make a filesystem on
> disk on chip How can I do that.

Might have been useful had you included this information in your first
message. The HOWTO should suffice to get you going from that point.

--
dwmw2

* Re: Accessing DiskonChip
@ 2003-01-09 12:26     ` Sanal Kumar
From: Sanal Kumar @ 2003-01-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Woodhouse; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-mtd

Hi David ,

Sorry for not explaining the problem in detail.
I have read the howto's on the infradead .
But still I dont understand how to create a partition
on Disk on chip
and have filesystem on it.
I have tried with nftl_* .But I could not do anything.

Could you please explain what I need to do for making
the filesystem on DOC.

Boot Messages
--------------

out-of-line wait
_DoC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait
.
. _DoC_WaitReady called for out-of-line wait

Could not find valid boot record
Could not mount NFTL device

and using nftl_format I tried to format the diskon
chip But I get an error like the following

NFTL_open
ENODEV: thisNFTL = 0, minor = 23808, ip = c94ac4c0, fp
= c965caa0
NFTL_open
ENODEV: thisNFTL = 0, minor = 23809, ip = c94ac6e0, fp
= c965ca20 The only thing I could do was

dd if=XXXX of=/dev/mtd0

I am adding part of my .config here.
-----------------------------------
#
# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#
CONFIG_MTD=y
CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE=3
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
# CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_BOOTLDR_PARTS is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_AFS_PARTS is not set #
# User Modules And Translation Layers
#
CONFIG_MTD_CHAR=y
# CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK_RO is not set
# CONFIG_FTL is not set
CONFIG_NFTL=y
CONFIG_NFTL_RW=y #
# RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers
#
# CONFIG_MTD_CFI is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_JEDECPROBE is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_GEN_PROBE is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_RAM is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_ROM is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_ABSENT is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_OBSOLETE_CHIPS is not set #
# Mapping drivers for chip access
# #
# Self-contained MTD device drivers
#
#
# CONFIG_MTD_SLRAM is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_MTDRAM is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_BLKMTD is not set #
# Disk-On-Chip Device Drivers
#
# CONFIG_MTD_DOC1000 is not set
CONFIG_MTD_DOC2000=y
CONFIG_MTD_DOC2001=y
CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE=y
# CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_ADDRESS=0
# CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_HIGH is not set
# CONFIG_MTD_DOCPROBE_55AA is not set #
# NAND Flash Device Drivers
#
# CONFIG_MTD_NAND is not set

TIA
Best Regards
Sanal

--- David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> p_sanalk@yahoo.com said:
> >  I have added nftl support. So i need to support
> make a filesystem on
> > disk on chip How can I do that.
>
> Might have been useful had you included this
> information in your first
> message. The HOWTO should suffice to get you going
> from that point.
>
> --
> dwmw2

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: Accessing DiskonChip
@ 2003-01-09 12:46       ` David Woodhouse
From: David Woodhouse @ 2003-01-09 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanal Kumar; +Cc: linux-arm-kernel, linux-mtd

p_sanalk@yahoo.com said:
>  and using nftl_format I tried to format the diskon chip But I get an
> error like the following

> NFTL_open

Show me the command line you used. Compare it with the command line in the
HOWTO.

--
dwmw2