* Run away process
@ 2006-02-01 10:18 Dermot Paikkos
From: Dermot Paikkos @ 2006-02-01 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Hi,

I have a problem this morning.

I created a perl script to make a backup copy of some files. The
destination was a remote server (win2k) using a NFS mount. The win2k
server has fallen over during the process and I can't terminate the
backup script that was run via cron.

If I df, my terminal freezes. lsof never returns. kill -9 doesn't do
anything and I tried to kill -9 the parent, crond. The parent is now
inetd. It doesn't show in ipcs -a.

I can't do a reboot the linux box until much later tonight when
everyone is off and I can't put the windows box on the network as it
will fall over again if the above process is still running.

Does anyone know how I can stop this process?
Thanx.
Dp.

...ps -ef
root     12684  1657  0 02:19 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
root     14351     1  0 03:28 ?        00:00:07 /usr/bin/perl
/root/dbbackup.pl
root     14354    15  0 03:28 ?        00:00:00 [pdflush]

* Re: Run away process
@ 2006-02-01 10:57 ` urgrue
From: urgrue @ 2006-02-01 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dermot; +Cc: linux-admin

welcome to the wonderful world of NFS. how about you reconnect the
windows just long enough for NFS to recover so you can kill the
process, then detach it again?
other than that, you should look into the various NFS mount options.
the default settings in most systems are absurd. i recommend you look
into at least: soft,intr,bg,nfsvers=3,tcp,timeo=30.
these wont help you with your immediate problem, but may help prevent
similar problems in the future.

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem this morning.
>
> I created a perl script to make a backup copy of some files. The
> destination was a remote server (win2k) using a NFS mount. The win2k
> server has fallen over during the process and I can't terminate the
> backup script that was run via cron.
>
> If I df, my terminal freezes. lsof never returns. kill -9 doesn't do
> anything and I tried to kill -9 the parent, crond. The parent is now
> inetd. It doesn't show in ipcs -a.
>
> I can't do a reboot the linux box until much later tonight when
> everyone is off and I can't put the windows box on the network as it
> will fall over again if the above process is still running.
>
> Does anyone know how I can stop this process?
> Thanx.
> Dp.
>

> ...ps -ef
> root     12684  1657  0 02:19 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
> root     14351     1  0 03:28 ?        00:00:07 /usr/bin/perl
> /root/dbbackup.pl
> root     14354    15  0 03:28 ?        00:00:00 [pdflush]
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin"
> in

* Re: Run away process
@ 2006-02-01 11:07   ` Dermot Paikkos
From: Dermot Paikkos @ 2006-02-01 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: urgrue, linux-admin

On 1 Feb 2006 at 10:57, urgrue wrote:

 the default settings in most systems
> are absurd. i recommend you look  into at least:
> soft,intr,bg,nfsvers=3,tcp,timeo=30.

I like the look of the timeo option. i have bg in my fstab. Should
these setting go into fstab or export?
Thanx.
Dp.

> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem this morning.
> >
> > I created a perl script to make a backup copy of some files. The
> > destination was a remote server (win2k) using a NFS mount. The win2k
> > server has fallen over during the process and I can't terminate the
> > backup script that was run via cron.
> >
> > If I df, my terminal freezes. lsof never returns. kill -9 doesn't do
> > anything and I tried to kill -9 the parent, crond. The parent is now
> > inetd. It doesn't show in ipcs -a.
> >
> > I can't do a reboot the linux box until much later tonight when
> > everyone is off and I can't put the windows box on the network as it
> > will fall over again if the above process is still running.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can stop this process?
> > Thanx.
> > Dp.
> >

> > ...ps -ef
> > root     12684  1657  0 02:19 ?        00:00:00 smbd -D
> > root     14351     1  0 03:28 ?        00:00:07 /usr/bin/perl
> > /root/dbbackup.pl
> > root     14354    15  0 03:28 ?        00:00:00 [pdflush]
> >

> > -
> > linux-admin" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

* Re: Run away process
@ 2006-02-01 13:05     ` Glynn Clements
From: Glynn Clements @ 2006-02-01 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dermot; +Cc: linux-admin

Dermot Paikkos wrote:

>  the default settings in most systems
> > are absurd. i recommend you look  into at least:
> > soft,intr,bg,nfsvers=3,tcp,timeo=30.
>
> I like the look of the timeo option. i have bg in my fstab. Should
> these setting go into fstab or export?

fstab.

/etc/fstab controls mounting filesystems. /etc/export controls what is
exported by an NFS server.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@gclements.plus.com>

* Re: Run away process
@ 2006-02-01 11:03 Dermot Paikkos
From: Dermot Paikkos @ 2006-02-01 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Thanx for the replies.

Managed to resolve it with `umount -f /mnt/servermount`

That halted the process. Phew.
Dp.

@ 2006-02-01 11:02 Khushil Dep
From: Khushil Dep @ 2006-02-01 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: urgrue, dermot; +Cc: linux-admin

Try to renice the process with a negative figure and then attempt to
kill?

Khushil Dep

-