* Active/Active MDS
@ 2016-07-28 22:50 Bill Webb
From: Bill Webb @ 2016-07-28 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hello,

We have a bit of interest in seeing MDS support Active-Active HA.  I’d
be interested to learn about the status of this, and possibly
contribute.  What is the best way to proceed?

Thanks,
Bill Webb

* Re: Active/Active MDS
@ 2016-07-29  9:09 ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2016-07-29  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Webb, ceph-devel

> Op 29 juli 2016 om 0:50 schreef Bill Webb <billwebbatl@gmail.com>:
>

> Hello,
>
> We have a bit of interest in seeing MDS support Active-Active HA.  I’d
> be interested to learn about the status of this, and possibly
> contribute.  What is the best way to proceed?

Great to see! I think the best route would be that you start with a dev setup. Build a (small) Ceph cluster with HA MDS servers and start running tests. If you see stuff fail, try to gather as much data as possible and report it back on the dev list or the issue tracker.

Wido

> Thanks,
> Bill Webb

* Re: Active/Active MDS
@ 2016-07-29  9:45 ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2016-07-29  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Webb; +Cc: Ceph Development

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM, Bill Webb <billwebbatl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a bit of interest in seeing MDS support Active-Active HA.  I’d
> be interested to learn about the status of this, and possibly
> contribute.  What is the best way to proceed?

Depending on available skills, your options for contribution are:
 * Ad-hoc testing (i.e. push workloads through a system and see what
happens, then produce high quality bug reports)
 * Development of automated tests (i.e. additions to ceph-qa-suite run
with teuthology, requires getting familiar with that environment)
 * Fixing bugs (requires substantial expertise on the code)

You can filter open issues by the multi-mds category (and end up with
a horrific URL apparently):
http://tracker.ceph.com/projects/cephfs/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&set_filter=1&f%5B%5D=status_id&op%5Bstatus_id%5D=o&f%5B%5D=category_id&op%5Bcategory_id%5D=%3D&v%5Bcategory_id%5D%5B%5D=90&f%5B%5D=&c%5B%5D=project&c%5B%5D=tracker&c%5B%5D=status&c%5B%5D=priority&c%5B%5D=subject&c%5B%5D=assigned_to&c%5B%5D=updated_on&c%5B%5D=category&c%5B%5D=fixed_version&c%5B%5D=cf_3&group_by=

John