* [Question] virtio-net: About napi_tx
@ 2021-07-13  1:04 lma
From: lma @ 2021-07-13  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: willemb; +Cc: virtualization

Hi Willem and list,

The napi_tx of virtio_net is enabled by default by commit 31c03aef.

and the commit message mentioned:
     In the unlikely case of regression, we have landed a credible
runtime
     solution. Ethtool can configure it with -C tx-frames [0|1] as of
     commit 0c465be183c7 ("virtio_net: ethtool tx napi configuration").

I'd like to know more about "the unlikely case of regression".
Is it workloads related or bare metal hardware related?

Do you mind to explain some details?

Thanks,
Lin

* Re: [Question] virtio-net: About napi_tx
@ 2021-07-13  7:52 ` Willem de Bruijn
From: Willem de Bruijn @ 2021-07-13  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lma; +Cc: virtualization

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 3:04 AM lma <lma@suse.de> wrote:

> Hi Willem and list,
>
> The napi_tx of virtio_net is enabled by default by commit 31c03aef.
>
> and the commit message mentioned:
>      In the unlikely case of regression, we have landed a credible
> runtime
>      solution. Ethtool can configure it with -C tx-frames [0|1] as of
>      commit 0c465be183c7 ("virtio_net: ethtool tx napi configuration").
>
> I'd like to know more about "the unlikely case of regression".
> Is it workloads related or bare metal hardware related?

There are no specific known cases. This is a precaution if a user
discovers a regression.

* Re: [Question] virtio-net: About napi_tx
@ 2021-07-19  4:46   ` lma
From: lma @ 2021-07-19  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem de Bruijn; +Cc: virtualization

在 2021-07-13 07:52,Willem de Bruijn 写道:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 3:04 AM lma <lma@suse.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Willem and list,
>>
>> The napi_tx of virtio_net is enabled by default by commit 31c03aef.
>>
>> and the commit message mentioned:
>>      In the unlikely case of regression, we have landed a credible
>> runtime
>>      solution. Ethtool can configure it with -C tx-frames [0|1] as of
>>      commit 0c465be183c7 ("virtio_net: ethtool tx napi
>> configuration").
>>
>> I'd like to know more about "the unlikely case of regression".
>> Is it workloads related or bare metal hardware related?
>
> There are no specific known cases. This is a precaution if a user
> discovers a regression.

Thanks for the information,
Lin