* 4331 support
@ 2011-08-26 16:13 james at jamesanslow.net
From: james at jamesanslow.net @ 2011-08-26 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Thanks for the heads-up larry. Can you direct me towards where that's hosted?

@ 2011-08-26 17:01 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2011-08-26 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On 08/26/2011 11:13 AM, james at jamesanslow.net wrote:
> Thanks for the heads-up larry. Can you direct me towards where that's hosted?

You need to install git and do a

git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-testing.git

The source will be in wireless-testing directory. To get future updates, cd to
that directory and 'git pull'.

Obviously, my subtle A./Q. quote was not sufficient. Top posting in most mailing
lists is discouraged. Look at where your question is in the flow of this
posting. How is one to follow the reasoning?

Larry

* 4331 support
@ 2011-08-26 15:57         ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2011-08-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

@ 2011-08-26 15:38       ` James Anslow
From: James Anslow @ 2011-08-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

@ 2011-08-26 15:29   ` James Anslow
From: James Anslow @ 2011-08-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

From: Larry Finger @ 2011-08-26  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

On 08/25/2011 07:33 PM, Stuart Longland wrote:

> Well, no more difficult than downloading a kernel source tree via git
> and compiling it.  The wireless-testing tree is basically a branch of
> the mainline Linux kernel with experimental versions of device drivers.
>
> Failing that, maybe try switching to the latest stable 3.0.x release of
> the kernel if you're not running that already.

For the 4331, that will not help at all. The code that makes it function is
very, very new.

Larry

* 4331 support
@ 2011-08-26  0:33     ` Stuart Longland
From: Stuart Longland @ 2011-08-26  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

* 4331 support
@ 2011-08-25 23:39       ` james at jamesanslow.net
From: james at jamesanslow.net @ 2011-08-25 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Hi Larry,

I did reply-all. Please note the CC to the b43-dev mailing list in
this and my previous mail.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll see how I go.

Kind regards

Quoting Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>:

> On 08/25/2011 06:27 PM, james at jamesanslow.net wrote:
>> Hi Larry,
>>
>> Thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm not overly experienced
>> when it comes
>> to driver development and so I may be best suited to waiting until
>> this is made
>> live. That is, unless compiling and patching experimental drivers is an easy
>> thing to do (but from what I understand it's not?)
>
> If you want to wait, then it will be kernel 3.2 before this stuff is
> built in. FYI, that will ~4-5 months.
>
> The material will be available in the compat-wireless package that
> may be available for your distro in a few weeks.
>
> The difficulty in building the kernel depends on your distro. For
> openSUSE, it is pretty easy. For Debian-based distros, it is a bit
> more difficult; however, once you have all the tools installed, the
> commands are easy. It just takes a while.
>
> Please do a "reply-to-all". I do not do private consulting unless
> you are paying.
>
> Larry

* 4331 support
@ 2011-08-25 23:36     ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2011-08-25 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

@ 2011-08-25 23:27   ` james at jamesanslow.net
From: james at jamesanslow.net @ 2011-08-25 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Hi Larry,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I'm not overly experienced when
it comes to driver development and so I may be best suited to waiting
until this is made live. That is, unless compiling and patching
experimental drivers is an easy thing to do (but from what I
understand it's not?)

Kind regards,
James

Quoting Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>:

> On 08/25/2011 05:38 PM, james at jamesanslow.net wrote:
>> Can anyone provide me with an update as to the current status of BCM 4331
>> support? Is support going to be coming eventually? Is anyone working on it?
>
> If you pull the wireless-testing git tree, it is working, perhaps
> with minor changes. See a recent mail message:

> Awesome guys,
> thanks for the pointers, it worked! (i m sending this email using
> the b43 driver!)
>
> I used the wireless-next git, and then additionally applied the
> "b43: HT-PHY: allow writing longer tables with a single call" patch.
> (and the ones in Rafal's last mail)
>
> Thanks for the great support and fast answers!
> Congratulations on hacking a driver like this together, I am impressed!
>
> Best regards,
> Maxime
>
> 2011/8/22 Rafa? Mi?ecki <zajec5@gmail.com>
>
>     Hi Maxime,
>
>     2011/8/22 Maxime Vincent <maxime.vince@gmail.com>:
>     > I'm sorry if this is a noobish question, or asking this kind
> of questions is
>     > not done.
>     > I'm not really familiar with dev mailing lists.
>     > I'm new to kernel development, not new to linux.
>     >
>     > I was wondering what the status of support for the 4331 wifi
> chipset was?
>     > As I can see there's already quite some code for the 4331
> chipset, but I
>     > can't really make up from that if it's supposed to work or
> not, or maybe
>     > partially?
>     >
>     > I have compiled latest linux-next kernel including the b43
> driver, extracted
>     > firmware, but I can't seem to see an interface registering.
>     > Only thing I can see in dmesg:
>     > Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PMNLS, Firmware-ID:  FW13 ]
>
>     I'm going to clean HT-PHY (BCM4331) support in about a week, as David
>     wrote, it should be quite stable.
>
>     Most of the patches are already in wireless-next, I just need to test
>     that tree, see if everything was sent&applied correctly and drop
>     BROKEN from B43_PHY_HT.
>
>     If you're "brave" enough, you can:
>     1) Edit Kconfig and drop BROKEN from B43_PHY_HT
>     2) Edit dma.h and define B43_DMA_RINGMEMSIZE to "2 * PAGE_SIZE"
>     (or just wait a week).
>

> Larry

* 4331 support
@ 2011-08-25 22:52 ` Larry Finger
From: Larry Finger @ 2011-08-25 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

@ 2011-08-25 22:38 james at jamesanslow.net
From: james at jamesanslow.net @ 2011-08-25 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b43-dev

Can anyone provide me with an update as to the current status of BCM
4331 support? Is support going to be coming eventually? Is anyone
working on it?

Many thanks