* RAID problem
@ 2013-08-14 20:49 fixitdad5
From: fixitdad5 @ 2013-08-14 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

If you are still offering help with raid corruption due to the bug in kernels 3.2 and 3.3, I would like some help.

I load Ubuntu 12.04 precise (with kernel 3.2 since it was in the package) just 2 weeks ago. I had pre-existing raids and the raid's meta data was corrupted on the first boot after the successful installation so I have lost my data. I tried most of the suggestions that I found on the web, employing the intelligence in mdadm -assemble, etc. without success.

I have now updated the kernel to 3.4.0 rc7 (3.4.0-030400-generic #201205210521 SMP) and built an empty raid. However, I cannot boot without disconnecting the RAID drives. With the RAID drives hooked up and the updated kernel with the additional parameters listed below, I I fall into busybox and cannot boot successfully. What do I do now?

My configuration is
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
7983 MiB
running SELinux
Raid is a simple stripping (level 0) for speed
I have set the noautodetect and nodmraid parameters for the kernel

* Re: RAID problem
@ 2013-08-14 23:42 ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2013-08-14 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fixitdad5; +Cc: linux-raid

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 15:49:37 -0500 (CDT) fixitdad5@verizon.net wrote:

> If you are still offering help with raid corruption due to the bug in kernels 3.2 and 3.3, I would like some help.
>
> I load Ubuntu 12.04 precise (with kernel 3.2 since it was in the package) just 2 weeks ago. I had pre-existing raids and the raid's meta data was corrupted on the first boot after the successful installation so I have lost my data. I tried most of the suggestions that I found on the web, employing the intelligence in mdadm -assemble, etc. without success.
>
> I have now updated the kernel to 3.4.0 rc7 (3.4.0-030400-generic #201205210521 SMP) and built an empty raid. However, I cannot boot without disconnecting the RAID drives. With the RAID drives hooked up and the updated kernel with the additional parameters listed below, I I fall into busybox and cannot boot successfully. What do I do now?
>
> My configuration is
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
> 7983 MiB
> running SELinux
> Raid is a simple stripping (level 0) for speed
> I have set the noautodetect and nodmraid parameters for the kernel

We would need lots more details to be able to help.
I assume you have given up on the old data - is that correct?  Sorry about
that.

Do you just have the one RAID (the RAID0)?  Is it for the root filesystem or
something else?

Maybe there is something in your initrd that is causing confusion.

 zcat /boot/initrd | cpio -idv
will explode it for you.  Is there an 'mdadm.conf' in there?  What does it
contain?

Maybe just run
   mkinitrd
(or whatever the Ubuntu command is - mkinitramfs maybe).
That might fix it.

Are there  any error messages during boot?

You might need to get Ubuntu specific help as different distros have quite
different boot sequences.

NeilBrown

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: RAID Problem
@ 2010-03-20 16:55   ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2010-03-20 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Brown; +Cc: colli419, linux-raid

Neil Brown wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2010 18:32:39 -0500
> colli419@umn.edu wrote:
>

>> Hello, I am having problems with my RAID as follows:
>>
>> I installed the drives in an old computer and created the RAID and it
>> worked great. When I tried to install the same RAID set in a new computer I
>> could get it to mount manually with some messing around but couldn't get it
>> to mount automatically as in the old machine. I was wondering if zeroing
>> the superblocks and trying to re-create the RAID would be a good idea. The
>> data that is stored on the drives should otherwise be intact because I had
>> it running just fine the other day. Any help at all would be most
>> appreciated.
>>

> You haven't provides a lot of concrete information, like error messages
> during boot or "mdadm -E" output of devices or even kernel/mdadm versions, so
> I can only guess, but my guess would be that you can fix it by assembling
> the array with "--update=homehost"
>
> i.e.
>    mdadm --assemble /dev/mdwhatever  \
>    --update=homehost /dev/device1 /dev/device2 ....

My take on hostname is that it causes more users problems than it helps,
and that it would have been better as an option to the assemble function
for those who actually need that checking. More people have little RAID
USB boxes than have some shared storage.

Do *NOT* read this as a suggestion to change, just a comment on it as an
example of "unintended results."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we

* Re: RAID Problem
@ 2010-03-17  0:09 ` Neil Brown
From: Neil Brown @ 2010-03-17  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: colli419; +Cc: linux-raid

On 16 Mar 2010 18:32:39 -0500
colli419@umn.edu wrote:

> Hello, I am having problems with my RAID as follows:
>
> I installed the drives in an old computer and created the RAID and it
> worked great. When I tried to install the same RAID set in a new computer I
> could get it to mount manually with some messing around but couldn't get it
> to mount automatically as in the old machine. I was wondering if zeroing
> the superblocks and trying to re-create the RAID would be a good idea. The
> data that is stored on the drives should otherwise be intact because I had
> it running just fine the other day. Any help at all would be most
> appreciated.

You haven't provides a lot of concrete information, like error messages
during boot or "mdadm -E" output of devices or even kernel/mdadm versions, so
I can only guess, but my guess would be that you can fix it by assembling
the array with "--update=homehost"

i.e.
   mdadm --assemble /dev/mdwhatever  \
   --update=homehost /dev/device1 /dev/device2 ....

NeilBrown

* RAID Problem
@ 2010-03-16 23:32 colli419
From: colli419 @ 2010-03-16 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hello, I am having problems with my RAID as follows:

I installed the drives in an old computer and created the RAID and it
worked great. When I tried to install the same RAID set in a new computer I
could get it to mount manually with some messing around but couldn't get it
to mount automatically as in the old machine. I was wondering if zeroing
the superblocks and trying to re-create the RAID would be a good idea. The
data that is stored on the drives should otherwise be intact because I had
it running just fine the other day. Any help at all would be most
appreciated.

Thank you so much,
Michael Collins

* Re: Raid Problem
@ 2004-12-01  3:08 ` Ryan Bourgeois
From: Ryan Bourgeois @ 2004-12-01  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vahid Modiri; +Cc: linux-ide

It is software RAID, and therefore not handled by the SATA drivers.  for
software RAID in Linux, use the RAID kernel drivers.  Alternatively, SIS
may have a Linux driver available which would detect the RAID arrays
created in the card's BIOS.

Vahid Modiri wrote:
> Dear sir,
> After compiling 2.6.6 or higher version of kernel in
> Mandrake 10 and considering the SATA_SIS module (for
> SIS180 raid controller) on it , I could not find the
> related striped disk device (Raid 0) after loading the
> module on kernel.
> After modprobing the SATA_SIS , an empty /dev/SCSI
> directory is created.
> Is there any point I didn't consider , or how can I
> find the raid device?
> Any help would be appreciated
> Yours
> Vahid Modiri