* sata_promise fails to detect all 4 HDD on the TX4 since 2.6.26
@ 2009-02-25  1:56 Mike Cui
From: Mike Cui @ 2009-02-25  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

Hi,

I tried to update to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 last week, and noticed that
after the update the sata_promise driver can no longer detect all 4
HDDs that I have plugged into the SATAII300TX4 card. It always reports
that the link is down on the first port. I also tried booting a gentoo
kernel with 2.6.26, same problem. However, Ubuntu 8.04 with 2.6.25
seems fine. Is this a known problem?

* Re: sata_promise fails to detect all 4 HDD on the TX4 since 2.6.26
@ 2009-02-25  9:28 ` Tejun Heo
From: Tejun Heo @ 2009-02-25  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Cui; +Cc: linux-ide

Mike Cui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to update to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04 last week, and noticed that
> after the update the sata_promise driver can no longer detect all 4
> HDDs that I have plugged into the SATAII300TX4 card. It always reports
> that the link is down on the first port. I also tried booting a gentoo
> kernel with 2.6.26, same problem. However, Ubuntu 8.04 with 2.6.25
> seems fine. Is this a known problem?

Hmm... Can you please install to another disk and try 2.6.28.7 and
post the kernel boot log if it fails too?

Thanks.

--
tejun

* Re: sata_promise fails to detect all 4 HDD on the TX4 since 2.6.26
@ 2009-02-25 18:05   ` Mike Cui
From: Mike Cui @ 2009-02-25 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tejun Heo; +Cc: linux-ide

If you want the full kernel boot log I can get it to you in a couple
of days. But here is what I remember from the kernel logs. It probes
each of the 4 ports, and it always thinks that the first port is "link
down". The drives I have plugged into it are samsung HD753LJ

@ 2009-02-25 19:43     ` Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2009-02-25 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Cui; +Cc: Tejun Heo, linux-ide

Mike Cui writes:
 > If you want the full kernel boot log I can get it to you in a couple
 > of days. But here is what I remember from the kernel logs. It probes
 > each of the 4 ports, and it always thinks that the first port is "link
 > down". The drives I have plugged into it are samsung HD753LJ

1. Have you tried with different disks on port 0? Preferably also
   with different models or from different manufacturers.
2. Does it matter if all ports are populated? Is there any difference
   if only port 0 is populated as opposed to all 4 being populated?

Full boot logs from the last working kernel and first non-working one would
be useful. And please make them www.kernel.org kernels, not Ubuntu ones.

/Mikael

@ 2009-02-27 17:50       ` Mikael Pettersson
From: Mikael Pettersson @ 2009-02-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Pettersson; +Cc: Mike Cui, Tejun Heo, linux-ide

Mikael Pettersson writes:
 > Mike Cui writes:
 >  > If you want the full kernel boot log I can get it to you in a couple
 >  > of days. But here is what I remember from the kernel logs. It probes
 >  > each of the 4 ports, and it always thinks that the first port is "link
 >  > down". The drives I have plugged into it are samsung HD753LJ
 >
 > 1. Have you tried with different disks on port 0? Preferably also
 >    with different models or from different manufacturers.
 > 2. Does it matter if all ports are populated? Is there any difference
 >    if only port 0 is populated as opposed to all 4 being populated?
 >
 > Full boot logs from the last working kernel and first non-working one would
 > be useful. And please make them www.kernel.org kernels, not Ubuntu ones.

I loaded my sata_promise test box with a SATA300TX4 and one SATA disk
on each of the four ports. 2.6.29-rc6 and 2.6.28 booted and worked with
no issues whatsoever. 2.6.27 and 2.6.26 experienced slight boot delays
as the disk on the first port (a Samsung HD501LJ) got a failed COMRESET
which EH had to recover from (and it did).

The sata_promise COMRESET problem was fixed in 2.6.28, and the fix was
backported to the 2.6.27 stable series in 2.6.27.5 (current is 2.6.27.19).
I suggest that you skip 2.6.26 and update to 2.6.27.19 or newer.

/Mikael