* phosphor-ipmi-flash: A problem in BMC FW update over LPC
@ 2019-08-23 11:13 CS20 KWLiu
From: CS20 KWLiu @ 2019-08-23 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture
  Cc: CS20 CTCchien, Corey Chen (陳志銘),
	Fran Hsu (徐誌謙),
	Samuel Jiang (江騏先),
	George Hung (洪忠敬),
	openbmc

Hello Patrick:

We are currently trying to enable the BMC FW update over LPC on our platform (nuvoton BMC), but we encounter a problem with BIOS.

The BIOS engineer has reserved memory region as mmio space, but we couldn't see any data change in this region during run burn_my_bmc.

We have checked the BMC setting(in lpc_nuvoton.c and LDN SHM) but we couldn't identify the root cause of this problem.

Is there any settings we lost?

Thanks,
Joseph
________________________________
The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Nuvoton is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Nuvoton shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Nuvoton.

* Re: phosphor-ipmi-flash: A problem in BMC FW update over LPC
@ 2019-08-23 14:42 ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-08-23 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 KWLiu, Benjamin Fair
  Cc: CS20 CTCchien, Corey Chen (陳志銘),
	Fran Hsu (徐誌謙),
	Samuel Jiang (江騏先),
	George Hung (洪忠敬),
	openbmc

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:13 AM CS20 KWLiu <KWLIU@nuvoton.com> wrote:

> Hello Patrick:
>

> We are currently trying to enable the BMC FW update over LPC on our platform (nuvoton BMC), but we encounter a problem with BIOS.
> The BIOS engineer has reserved memory region as mmio space, but we couldn't see any data change in this region during run burn_my_bmc.
> We have checked the BMC setting(in lpc_nuvoton.c and LDN SHM) but we couldn't identify the root cause of this problem.

+Benjamin Fair

I don't know the Nuvoton BMC that well, but I do know that I tested it
on a system we have that uses it.  I'm adding Benjamin as he's more
familiar with any nuances associated with Nuvoton's BMC.

@ 2019-08-26  2:31 ` Corey Chen (陳志銘)
From: Corey Chen (陳志銘) @ 2019-08-26  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 KWLiu, Patrick Venture
  Cc: CS20 CTCchien, Fran Hsu (徐誌謙),
	Samuel Jiang (江騏先),
	George Hung (洪忠敬),
	openbmc, Ryback Hung (洪明宏)

Currently, I’m doing following steps,

  1. Get a MMIO space via GCD service.
  2. Program LPC/eSPI PCI Offset 98h [0] to [0] to disable memory decoding first before changing base address.
  3. Program LPC/eSPI PCI Offset 98h [31:16, 0] to [Address, 1].
  4. Program LPC/eSPI Memory Range, PCR[DMI] + 2740h to the same value programmed in LPC/eSPI PCI Offset 98h.

But after discussing with Intel,
perhaps I have to make sure that the MMIO space I’m using is claimed in MMIO_RULE_CFG_X as Skylake BIOS writer guide mentions.

BR,
Corey

@ 2019-09-02  3:02   ` CS20 CTCchien
From: CS20 CTCchien @ 2019-09-02  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture, CS20 KWLiu, Benjamin Fair; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Patrick,

I use latest phosphor-ipmi-flash, and I met an error about /flash/image in bmc/config-static-bmc-reboot.json.in,
I change it to /flash/static, then the issue disappeared.
Did I miss something?

Thanks

B.R.
Medad

@ 2019-09-09 17:27     ` Patrick Venture
       [not found]       ` <HK0PR03MB51238E446D25BACAEA63D42ADF870@HK0PR03MB5123.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com>
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-09-09 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 CTCchien; +Cc: CS20 KWLiu, Benjamin Fair, openbmc

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 8:02 PM CS20 CTCchien <CTCCHIEN@nuvoton.com> wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> I use latest phosphor-ipmi-flash, and I met an error about /flash/image in bmc/config-static-bmc-reboot.json.in,
> I change it to /flash/static, then the issue disappeared.
> Did I miss something?

The name of the thing in the json file is the type to use now with the
"--type" parameter, not the whole name, just the ending.  So
/flash/static becomes --type static, and /flash/image becomes --type
image

It was a change related to needing to support arbitrary update targets.

       [not found]           ` <HK0PR03MB51234C094514020D58C9C68BDF860@HK0PR03MB5123.apcprd03.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2019-09-26 14:33             ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-09-26 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 CTCchien; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:30 PM CS20 CTCchien <CTCCHIEN@nuvoton.com> wrote:

> Hello Patrick,
>
> Should I move enable-nuvoton-p2a-mbox and enable-nuvoton-p2a-vga to PACKAGECONFIG in phosphor-ipmi-flash_git.bb?

Please add the code that supports them first to phosphor-ipmi-flash.
Otherwise they're invalid options.

Also, please always include the mailing list unless the communication
is strictly confidential and then follow whatever rules apply.

Thanks.

@ 2019-09-27  3:24               ` CS20 CTCchien
From: CS20 CTCchien @ 2019-09-27  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hello  Patrick,

I add the code to phosphor-ipmi-flash.
But build failed,
Do you know how could I know what is the error?
Thanks

B.R.
Medad

@ 2019-09-27 17:13                 ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2019-09-27 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 CTCchien; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:24 PM CS20 CTCchien <CTCCHIEN@nuvoton.com> wrote:

> Hello  Patrick,
>
> I add the code to phosphor-ipmi-flash.
> But build failed,
> Do you know how could I know what is the error?
> Thanks

The jenkins logs aren't kept around long, so they are not super
helpful in this case.  You should run the build locally to validate
your CL.

You can follow these steps to do so:

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/local-ci-build.md