* RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-02-02 11:50 Samuel Stirtzel
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-02-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Hi,

for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
next generation touch user interface from KDE.
If you never heard about Plasma Active see [1].
For touch devices it is much more satisfying to use a GUI that is
designed for this input method, so I started porting it.
Someone already built Plasma Active for the Pandaboard [2] but it was
compiled native on the device, but somehow this inspired me to start
this project.

The work in progress can be viewed in the repository on github [3].
First of, if anyone does similar work or just likes to participate -
feel free to contact me.

Current Status (may change every minute)
Kdelibs is working, plasma active misses the path to kconfig_compiler
but won't accept a CMake variable (patching the CMake file could solve
this).
Other native dependencies are also working (things like automoc).
The program kde4-config is taken from the host, but could (should) be
replaced with a dummy script, as it only returns some (invalid) values
like prefix ,exec_prefix, qt_bindir and some other paths.

Current problems:
There were some problems along the way, but as of now the most have
been solved or worked around.
If anyone could give a hint how the problems could be solved more
gracefully, then it could happen that we have Plasma Active soon :)

After testing a bit, if QT_INCLUDE_DIR is set to OE_QMAKE_INCDIR_QT it
may work on cross compiling environments, however some times errors
like this occur (PARALLEL_MAKE=""):
-
arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi-g++  ....
-I/work/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/sysroots/overo/usr/include/QtCore ....
AuthBackend.h:24:19: fatal error: QObject: No such file or directory
-
But inside of /work/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/sysroots/overo/usr/include/QtCore
there is QObject and QObject.h ...

In CMake, setting CMAKE_MODULEPATH won't change the module search path.
Variables don't overwrite the set module path, so
-DCMAKE_MODULEPATH=${SOMEPATH} won't work.
As workaround the recipe generates it's own toolchain file after
CMake, is there any way to overwrite the function
"cmake_do_generate_toolchain_file()" in my recipe?
(Addig a do_generate_toolchain_file() function to my recipe won't do anything)

Like posted before, OE_QMAKE_INCDIR_QT won't work if compiling native
as Qt4-native is handled differently from Qt4x11.
This is also worked around by creating a custom CMake toolchain file
with QT_INCLUDE_DIR=${STAGING_INCDIR}/Qt ${STAGING_INCDIR}/QtCore ...

There are other CMake configure pitfalls (all cross compiling scripts
in kdelibs are commented out) but it seems that at least the most of
them showed already during build time.

One of the remaining things that still bug me is kde4-config,
personally I wonder why the KDE folks use a executable to get the
prefix / exec_prefix and the like where a script could be used?

Current WIP:
KActivities
KDE-Workspace
KDE-Runtime

For the RFC part:
It would really help if anyone could look over the recipes and point
up where it can be improved.
If you want to build it, please note that kdelibs-dev should be
installed as until now the native kde-config is used.
For the patches to the CMake files it would help to point out errors
or easier ways to accomplish the intended goals.

[1] Mobile Plasma Active desktop: http://plasma-active.org/
[2] Building Plasma Active on the Pandaboard:
http://ezjd.blogspot.com/2011/10/building-plasma-active.html
[3] "meta-kde" repository:
https://gitorious.org/openembedded-core-layers/meta-kde

--
Regards
Samuel

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-02-02 11:56 ` Martin Jansa
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Jansa @ 2012-02-02 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:50:16PM +0100, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
> next generation touch user interface from KDE.
> If you never heard about Plasma Active see [1].
> For touch devices it is much more satisfying to use a GUI that is
> designed for this input method, so I started porting it.
> Someone already built Plasma Active for the Pandaboard [2] but it was
> compiled native on the device, but somehow this inspired me to start
> this project.

Hi,

are you "darkh" on IRC? Because he wrote me about his meta-kde layer few
months ago, but haven't seen him since then.

Cheers,

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-02-02 12:18   ` Samuel Stirtzel
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-02-02 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

2012/2/2 Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:50:16PM +0100, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
>> next generation touch user interface from KDE.
>> If you never heard about Plasma Active see [1].
>> For touch devices it is much more satisfying to use a GUI that is
>> designed for this input method, so I started porting it.
>> Someone already built Plasma Active for the Pandaboard [2] but it was
>> compiled native on the device, but somehow this inspired me to start
>> this project.
>
> Hi,
>
> are you "darkh" on IRC? Because he wrote me about his meta-kde layer few
> months ago, but haven't seen him since then.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

No, I am not.
However if there are already existent recipes it may be worth a look,
but I guess as you didn't post a link he had not provided more info?

This "project" started 2 week ago after I watched amazing videos about
Plasma Active two :)

--

@ 2012-02-02 12:24     ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2012-02-02 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 01:18:38PM +0100, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> 2012/2/2 Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 12:50:16PM +0100, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
> >> next generation touch user interface from KDE.
> >> If you never heard about Plasma Active see [1].
> >> For touch devices it is much more satisfying to use a GUI that is
> >> designed for this input method, so I started porting it.
> >> Someone already built Plasma Active for the Pandaboard [2] but it was
> >> compiled native on the device, but somehow this inspired me to start
> >> this project.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > are you "darkh" on IRC? Because he wrote me about his meta-kde layer few
> > months ago, but haven't seen him since then.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> > Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

> No, I am not.
> However if there are already existent recipes it may be worth a look,
> but I guess as you didn't post a link he had not provided more info?

Unfortunately not
13:20:52 < ibot> darkh <~dark@93.199.81.252> was last seen on IRC in
channel #openmoko-cdevel, 264d 20h 11m 16s ago, saying: 'Linux om-gta02
2.6.37.6 #1 Fri May 13 08:06:01 CEST 2011 armv4tl GNU/Linux <-- l
finally got the right clock values JaMa|Off... or at least one that are working'.

So yes it was almost year ago..

And when he told me about it and send me link to repository I was on
holidays and irssi wasn't logging private query.. :/

> This "project" started 2 week ago after I watched amazing videos about
> Plasma Active two :)

Cheers,

--
Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-02-02 20:35 ` Khem Raj
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Khem Raj @ 2012-02-02 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 3:50 AM, Samuel Stirtzel
<s.stirtzel@googlemail.com> wrote:
> for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
> next generation touch user interface from KDE.
> If you never heard about Plasma Active see [1].
> For touch devices it is much more satisfying to use a GUI that is
> designed for this input method, so I started porting it.
> Someone already built Plasma Active for the Pandaboard [2] but it was
> compiled native on the device, but somehow this inspired me to start
> this project.

kudos Samuel. I always have been intending to have something
like that. I would be happy to help you out if you need any
help just ask.

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-02-08 10:09 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-02-08 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Stirtzel; +Cc: openembedded-core

Hi Samuel,

On Thursday 02 February 2012 12:50:16 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
> next generation touch user interface from KDE.

This is something I'd been wanting to do as well. I got as far as being able
to build cleaned up versions of the KDE recipes we had in OE-Classic (not very
many) but that was it. Looks like you're doing really well!

FYI You may find the KDE / Plasma Active packages in Meego to be a useful
reference if you still have gaps/issues to solve:

https://build.pub.meego.com/project/monitor?project=Project%3AKDE%3ATrunk

I will try to test out your layer over the next week or so and let you know
how I get on.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-02-08 10:59   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-02-08 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 8 feb. 2012, om 11:09 heeft Paul Eggleton het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Samuel,
>
> On Thursday 02 February 2012 12:50:16 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>> for some time now I've been working on a port of Plasma Active, the
>> next generation touch user interface from KDE.
>
> This is something I'd been wanting to do as well. I got as far as being able
> to build cleaned up versions of the KDE recipes we had in OE-Classic (not very
> many) but that was it. Looks like you're doing really well!

Indeed! The main problem with this kde stuff is that the developers want to write everything in QT, so instead of running sed on a file they build a qt app to do that. Guess what goes wrong when you want to crosscompile it...

regards,

Koen

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-03-01 13:24 ` Samuel Stirtzel
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-03-01 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Just to let you know that I'm still working on this.

The git repository (at [1]) shows what was currently done, since
kdelibs builds now it could  be possible to port other programs that
depend on it.

The good and the bad news:
Good:
* Most things will compile and install
* Workarounds should be easy to understand
Bad:
* There are workarounds for cruel hard-coded "where to find and
install" strings in CMake files
* My popularity as KDE developer decreases every time I ask "Why does
package <XYZ> installs it's CMake files into the libdir?"
* ^ Of course this is a joke, but some really do..
* The user has to install kdelibsX-dev (X is either version 4 or 5)
since KDE (like Koen already stated) needs to execute KDE/Qt programs
that depend on the whole KDE stack again in a native flavor.

About the current status:
The main dependency kdelibs builds but in do_package there is a
ominous QA error:
ERROR: QA Issue: kdelibs4 rdepends on kdelibs4-dev
Since this error message is important, it will not help (me) much to
resolve the error.
In other words is there any way to debug this?

Plasma Acttve builds now.
And if the kdelibs QA error is resolved it should be possible to build
an image and test it (hopefully).

There might be some missing DEPENDS entries and the TODO has also some
lines left, but my current priority is to debug the QA error.

[1] https://gitorious.org/openembedded-core-layers/meta-kde

--

@ 2012-03-01 13:35   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-03-01 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

Op 1 mrt. 2012, om 14:24 heeft Samuel Stirtzel het volgende geschreven:

> Just to let you know that I'm still working on this.
>
> The git repository (at [1]) shows what was currently done, since
> kdelibs builds now it could  be possible to port other programs that
> depend on it.
>

> The good and the bad news:
> Good:
> * Most things will compile and install
> * Workarounds should be easy to understand
> Bad:
> * There are workarounds for cruel hard-coded "where to find and
> install" strings in CMake files
> * My popularity as KDE developer decreases every time I ask "Why does
> package <XYZ> installs it's CMake files into the libdir?"
> * ^ Of course this is a joke, but some really do..
> * The user has to install kdelibsX-dev (X is either version 4 or 5)
> since KDE (like Koen already stated) needs to execute KDE/Qt programs
> that depend on the whole KDE stack again in a native flavor.

Can we just build them natively and put them in the host sysroot?

> About the current status:
> The main dependency kdelibs builds but in do_package there is a
> ominous QA error:
> ERROR: QA Issue: kdelibs4 rdepends on kdelibs4-dev
> Since this error message is important, it will not help (me) much to
> resolve the error.
> In other words is there any way to debug this?

No testlab in oe-core, but buildhistory pretty much does the same: http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/the-testlab-strikes-again

regards,

Koen

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
@ 2012-03-01 14:15     ` Samuel Stirtzel
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-03-01 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

2012/3/1 Koen Kooi <koen@dominion.thruhere.net>:
>> * The user has to install kdelibsX-dev (X is either version 4 or 5)
>> since KDE (like Koen already stated) needs to execute KDE/Qt programs
>> that depend on the whole KDE stack again in a native flavor.
>
> Can we just build them natively and put them in the host sysroot?

Short answer: Yes but not with Qt-native from OE. Long answer:
For automoc4 this is no problem and meta-kde also got the recipe.

For the packages kconfig_compiler (needs libkdecore) and
makekdewidgets (needs libkdecore and libkdeui) it might work, as long
as the programs got their libraries.
Since building kdelibs native in OpenEmbedded would need a "full
featured" Qt-native and the other dependencies it would cause a lot
overhead.
Building libkdecore and kconfig_compiler alone works, but libkdeui
pulls "everything" else in.

The paths where KDE looks for the executables can be altered at the
kde4.inc file (see [1] )

>> About the current status:
>> The main dependency kdelibs builds but in do_package there is a
>> ominous QA error:
>> ERROR: QA Issue: kdelibs4 rdepends on kdelibs4-dev
>> Since this error message is important, it will not help (me) much to
>> resolve the error.
>> In other words is there any way to debug this?
>
> No testlab in oe-core, but buildhistory pretty much does the same: http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/the-testlab-strikes-again

Thanks, I will look into that.

[1] https://gitorious.org/openembedded-core-layers/meta-kde/blobs/ea8f4cbc56b985708c33230a981ae9169e7fb156/recipes/kde4.inc#line67

--

@ 2012-03-01 14:37       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-03-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On Thursday 01 March 2012 15:15:11 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> For the packages kconfig_compiler (needs libkdecore) and
> makekdewidgets (needs libkdecore and libkdeui) it might work, as long
> as the programs got their libraries.
> Since building kdelibs native in OpenEmbedded would need a "full
> featured" Qt-native and the other dependencies it would cause a lot
> overhead.
> Building libkdecore and kconfig_compiler alone works, but libkdeui
> pulls "everything" else in.

Ouch :( I can imagine trying to break these up would be quite tricky. Perhaps
it's something we have to live with for the time being. If we do rely on
external executables, then we should check and error out as early as possible
if the required executables don't exist.

> > No testlab in oe-core, but buildhistory pretty much does the same:
> > http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/the-testlab-strikes-again
> Thanks, I will look into that.

FYI there's very basic documentation for buildhistory here:

  http://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Buildhistory

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2012-03-26 12:48         ` Samuel Stirtzel
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-03-26 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

2012/3/1 Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@linux.intel.com>:
> On Thursday 01 March 2012 15:15:11 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>> For the packages kconfig_compiler (needs libkdecore) and
>> makekdewidgets (needs libkdecore and libkdeui) it might work, as long
>> as the programs got their libraries.
>> Since building kdelibs native in OpenEmbedded would need a "full
>> featured" Qt-native and the other dependencies it would cause a lot
>> overhead.
>> Building libkdecore and kconfig_compiler alone works, but libkdeui
>> pulls "everything" else in.
>
> Ouch :( I can imagine trying to break these up would be quite tricky. Perhaps
> it's something we have to live with for the time being. If we do rely on
> external executables, then we should check and error out as early as possible
> if the required executables don't exist.
>
>> > No testlab in oe-core, but buildhistory pretty much does the same:
>> > http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/the-testlab-strikes-again
>> Thanks, I will look into that.
>
> FYI there's very basic documentation for buildhistory here:
>
>  http://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Buildhistory
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> --
>
> Paul Eggleton
> Intel Open Source Technology Centre

Sorry for the late answer,
just wanted to say it worked, thanks both of you.

Still working on Plasma Active, but many other things are finished.

Most common applications work, for example:
Calligra (not all of the toolkit), Kate, KCalc, Konqueror, Kwin &
Kwin_gles (KDE window manager), Okular and the applications from
KDE-baseapps.
If anyone ever wanted to get a KDE application running on their
OpenEmbedded device;
Or better, ever wanted to do KDE development with OE, it now could be
worth to try out meta-kde.

Please note:
* The meta-kde repository is still work in progress.
* There is currently no mailing list hosting the meta-kde discussion,
but this is subject to change.
* The meta-kde layer could work with Poky too, please see the thread
on the yocto mailing-list (coming soon).

It would be nice if you'd like to test if meta-kde works for you,
since it could be possible that some R-/DEPENDS are missing.
E.g. if "bitbake konsole" just works.

--
Regards
Samuel

* Re: RFC: Porting KDE Plasma Active (WIP)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-04-01  0:47 ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-04-01  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Stirtzel; +Cc: openembedded-core

On Thursday 02 February 2012 12:50:16 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> There are other CMake configure pitfalls (all cross compiling scripts
> in kdelibs are commented out) but it seems that at least the most of
> them showed already during build time.

Unfortunately when I tried to build kdelibs4 I got the following:

| cd /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/work/i586-poky-
linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-
r0/git/build/kjs && /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-
linux/usr/bin/icemaker /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/work/i586-poky-
linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-
r0/git/kjs/bytecode
| /bin/sh: /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-
linux/usr/bin/icemaker: No such file or directory
| make[2]: *** [kjs/opcodes.h] Error 127
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/work/i586-
poky-linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-
r0/git/build'

Any ideas? Is this a PARALLEL_MAKE issue?

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2012-04-01  2:31   ` Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-04-01  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer; +Cc: Paul Eggleton

On 04/01/2012 08:47 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Thursday 02 February 2012 12:50:16 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>> There are other CMake configure pitfalls (all cross compiling scripts
>> in kdelibs are commented out) but it seems that at least the most of
>> them showed already during build time.
>
> Unfortunately when I tried to build kdelibs4 I got the following:
>
> | cd /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/work/i586-poky-
> linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-
> r0/git/build/kjs&&  /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-
> linux/usr/bin/icemaker /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/work/i586-poky-
> linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-
> r0/git/kjs/bytecode
> | /bin/sh: /home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-
> linux/usr/bin/icemaker: No such file or directory
> | make[2]: *** [kjs/opcodes.h] Error 127
> | make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/paul/poky/poky/build-kde/tmp/work/i586-
> poky-linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-
> r0/git/build'

This is a known issue, there is an work around, it seems that the MACHINE is
qemux86, and host is x86_64, we can:

cp
tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e96d2ed61fc-r0/git/build/bin/icemaker
tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/icemaker

The problem is that we don't have a kdelibs4-native, and it seems it is not
easy to add it.

// Robert

@ 2012-04-01 12:00     ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2012-04-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Yang; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Sunday 01 April 2012 10:31:48 Robert Yang wrote:
> On 04/01/2012 08:47 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> > usr/bin/icemaker: No such file or directory
>
> This is a known issue, there is an work around, it seems that the MACHINE is
> qemux86, and host is x86_64, we can:
>
> cp
> tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e9
> 6d2ed61fc-r0/git/build/bin/icemaker
> tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/icemaker
>
> The problem is that we don't have a kdelibs4-native, and it seems it is not
> easy to add it.

Ah, I see I neglected to install kdelibs-devel; but on the version of Fedora I
am building on when I do install it that executable is not provided (at
version 4.6.5 perhaps it is too old). I've copied it as you suggested but then
I run into the lack of kconfig_compiler. On this machine "yum whatprovides"
tells me that the only package that provides kconfig_compiler is kdelibs3-devel
which is clearly not what is needed.

I can't help feeling we need to have kdelibs4-native and forget the
consequences of having to extend qt4-native if that's what's required;
otherwise it's just too hard for people to build.

Cheers,
Paul

--

@ 2012-04-05  4:50       ` Robert Yang
From: Robert Yang @ 2012-04-05  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggleton; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On 04/01/2012 08:00 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Sunday 01 April 2012 10:31:48 Robert Yang wrote:
>> On 04/01/2012 08:47 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>>> usr/bin/icemaker: No such file or directory
>>
>> This is a known issue, there is an work around, it seems that the MACHINE is
>> qemux86, and host is x86_64, we can:
>>
>> cp
>> tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e9
>> 6d2ed61fc-r0/git/build/bin/icemaker
>> tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/icemaker
>>
>> The problem is that we don't have a kdelibs4-native, and it seems it is not
>> easy to add it.
>
> Ah, I see I neglected to install kdelibs-devel; but on the version of Fedora I
> am building on when I do install it that executable is not provided (at
> version 4.6.5 perhaps it is too old). I've copied it as you suggested but then
> I run into the lack of kconfig_compiler. On this machine "yum whatprovides"
> tells me that the only package that provides kconfig_compiler is kdelibs3-devel
> which is clearly not what is needed.

For the kconfig_compiler issue, I used a hacked workaround:

1) cd /usr/bin
2) ln -s kconfig_compiler4 kconfig_compiler
3) ln -s kconfig_compiler4 makekdewidgets

Fortunately, kdelibs4-native has been successfully ported currently, we will
submit the patch sooner, so these problems would be fixed with kdelibs4-native.

Other problems you may meet are:

1) Sometimes the raptor and rasqal_git.bb may fail, just rebuild them
    would fix the error, seems strange errors.

2) After then build successed, we can start the kde:
    $ runqemu qemux86
    edit /usr/bin/startkde there is a host absolute path in it:
    LD_BIND_NOW=true
/host/path/to/tmp/sysroots/qemux86/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper
kcminit_startup

    Fix it to:

    LD_BIND_NOW=true /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper +kcminit_startup

    Then

    $ startkde

// Robert

@ 2012-04-05  9:23         ` Samuel Stirtzel
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-04-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Yang
  Cc: Paul Eggleton, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

2012/4/5 Robert Yang <liezhi.yang@windriver.com>:

> On 04/01/2012 08:00 PM, Paul Eggleton wrote:

>>> This is a known issue, there is an work around, it seems that the MACHINE
>>> is
>>> qemux86, and host is x86_64, we can:
>>>
>>> cp
>>>
>>> tmp/work/i586-poky-linux/kdelibs4-4.8.0+git1+1439483a67135f483632f4c4cd239e9
>>> 6d2ed61fc-r0/git/build/bin/icemaker
>>> tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/icemaker
>>>
>>> The problem is that we don't have a kdelibs4-native, and it seems it is
>>> not
>>> easy to add it.
>>

>> Ah, I see I neglected to install kdelibs-devel; but on the version of
>> Fedora I
>> am building on when I do install it that executable is not provided (at
>> version 4.6.5 perhaps it is too old). I've copied it as you suggested but
>> then
>> I run into the lack of kconfig_compiler. On this machine "yum
>> whatprovides"
>> tells me that the only package that provides kconfig_compiler is
>> kdelibs3-devel
>> which is clearly not what is needed.
>>

> For the kconfig_compiler issue, I used a hacked workaround:
>
> 1) cd /usr/bin
> 2) ln -s kconfig_compiler4 kconfig_compiler
> 3) ln -s kconfig_compiler4 makekdewidgets
>
> Fortunately, kdelibs4-native has been successfully ported currently, we will
> submit the patch sooner, so these problems would be fixed with
> kdelibs4-native.
>
> Other problems you may meet are:
>
> 1) Sometimes the raptor and rasqal_git.bb may fail, just rebuild them
>   would fix the error, seems strange errors.
>
> 2) After then build successed, we can start the kde:
>   $ runqemu qemux86
>   edit /usr/bin/startkde there is a host absolute path in it:
>   LD_BIND_NOW=true
> /host/path/to/tmp/sysroots/qemux86/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper
> kcminit_startup
>
>   Fix it to:
>
>   LD_BIND_NOW=true /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper
> +kcminit_startup
>
>   Then
>
>   $ startkde
>
> // Robert
>

>> I can't help feeling we need to have kdelibs4-native and forget the
>> consequences of having to extend qt4-native if that's what's required;
>> otherwise it's just too hard for people to build.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul

Seems like it would be a good idea to provide a test image,
so testers have a quick and easy starting point.

I will see if I can create some low dependency images for
plasma-desktop and plasma-active.

--
Regards
Samuel