* Commit 76c2ff3e broke backlight on Chromebook snow
@ 2021-10-21 14:47 Guillaume GARDET
From: Guillaume GARDET @ 2021-10-21 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Binacchi; +Cc: Simon Glass, Matthias Brugger, u-boot, Akshay Saraswat

Hi,

Commit 76c2ff3e [0] broke backlight on Chromebook snow.
A revert on top of 2021.10 restores the backlight.
Not sure why it breaks on Chromebook snow yet. Dario, any idea how to fix this?

Cheers,
Guillaume

* Re: Commit 76c2ff3e broke backlight on Chromebook snow
@ 2021-10-22 11:38 ` Dario Binacchi
From: Dario Binacchi @ 2021-10-22 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume GARDET; +Cc: Simon Glass, Matthias Brugger, u-boot, Akshay Saraswat

Hi Guillaume,

> Il 21/10/2021 16:47 Guillaume GARDET <guillaume.gardet@free.fr> ha scritto:
>

> Hi,
>
> Commit 76c2ff3e [0] broke backlight on Chromebook snow.
> A revert on top of 2021.10 restores the backlight.
> Not sure why it breaks on Chromebook snow yet. Dario, any idea how to fix this?

Is it possible that max_level is equal to min_level and therefore division
by zero is done?

Thanks and regards,
Dario

> Cheers,
> Guillaume

* Re : Re: Commit 76c2ff3e broke backlight on Chromebook snow
@ 2021-10-22 12:34   ` Guillaume GARDET
From: Guillaume GARDET @ 2021-10-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Binacchi; +Cc: Simon Glass, Matthias Brugger, u-boot, Akshay Saraswat

Hi Dario,

----- Dario Binacchi <dariobin@libero.it> a écrit :
> Hi Guillaume,
>
> > Il 21/10/2021 16:47 Guillaume GARDET <guillaume.gardet@free.fr> ha scritto:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Commit 76c2ff3e [0] broke backlight on Chromebook snow.
> > A revert on top of 2021.10 restores the backlight.
> > Not sure why it breaks on Chromebook snow yet. Dario, any idea how to fix this?
>
> Is it possible that max_level is equal to min_level and therefore division
> by zero is done?

I do not think so, because u-boot does not crash and the DTS file has multiple levels:
https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/arch/arm/dts/exynos5250-snow.dts#L243

I think the problem occurs when 'cur_level == max_level', which is also the default value in the DTS.
If I change the default-brightness-level to 6 (instead of 7), then the backlight works again, which would confirm the assumption above.
pwm_backlight_set_brightness seems to set cur_level to max value by default. Maybe the driver thinks there is nothing to do, since current level is also the desired level?

Cheers,
Guillaume

> Thanks and regards,
> Dario
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Guillaume

* Re: Re : Re: Commit 76c2ff3e broke backlight on Chromebook snow
@ 2021-10-23  9:23     ` Dario Binacchi
From: Dario Binacchi @ 2021-10-23  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume GARDET; +Cc: Simon Glass, Matthias Brugger, u-boot, Akshay Saraswat

Hi Guillaume,

> Il 22/10/2021 14:34 Guillaume GARDET <guillaume.gardet@free.fr> ha scritto:
>

> Hi Dario,
>
> ----- Dario Binacchi <dariobin@libero.it> a écrit :
> > Hi Guillaume,
> >
> > > Il 21/10/2021 16:47 Guillaume GARDET <guillaume.gardet@free.fr> ha scritto:
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Commit 76c2ff3e [0] broke backlight on Chromebook snow.
> > > A revert on top of 2021.10 restores the backlight.
> > > Not sure why it breaks on Chromebook snow yet. Dario, any idea how to fix this?
> >
> > Is it possible that max_level is equal to min_level and therefore division
> > by zero is done?
>
> I do not think so, because u-boot does not crash and the DTS file has multiple levels:
> https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/arch/arm/dts/exynos5250-snow.dts#L243
>
> I think the problem occurs when 'cur_level == max_level', which is also the default value in the DTS.
> If I change the default-brightness-level to 6 (instead of 7), then the backlight works again, which would confirm the assumption above.

I have set the default-brightness-level to max-level on my beaglebone board but the backlight works the same.
I didn't see any difference.

Thanks and regards
Dario

@ 2021-11-03 22:50   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-11-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Binacchi
  Cc: Guillaume GARDET, Matthias Brugger, u-boot, Akshay Saraswat

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021 at 05:38, Dario Binacchi <dariobin@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> > Il 21/10/2021 16:47 Guillaume GARDET <guillaume.gardet@free.fr> ha scritto:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Commit 76c2ff3e [0] broke backlight on Chromebook snow.
> > A revert on top of 2021.10 restores the backlight.
> > Not sure why it breaks on Chromebook snow yet. Dario, any idea how to fix this?
>
> Is it possible that max_level is equal to min_level and therefore division
> by zero is done?'

I got this running in my lab now and sent a possible fix.

Regards,
Simon

* Re: Re : Re: Commit 76c2ff3e broke backlight on Chromebook snow
@ 2021-11-03 22:50       ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2021-11-03 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Binacchi
  Cc: Guillaume GARDET, Matthias Brugger, u-boot, Akshay Saraswat

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 at 03:23, Dario Binacchi <dariobin@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
>
> > Il 22/10/2021 14:34 Guillaume GARDET <guillaume.gardet@free.fr> ha scritto:
> >

> > Hi Dario,
> >
> > ----- Dario Binacchi <dariobin@libero.it> a écrit :
> > > Hi Guillaume,

> > > Is it possible that max_level is equal to min_level and therefore division
> > > by zero is done?
> >
> > I do not think so, because u-boot does not crash and the DTS file has multiple levels:
> > https://source.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/arch/arm/dts/exynos5250-snow.dts#L243
> >
> > I think the problem occurs when 'cur_level == max_level', which is also the default value in the DTS.
> > If I change the default-brightness-level to 6 (instead of 7), then the backlight works again, which would confirm the assumption above.
>
> I have set the default-brightness-level to max-level on my beaglebone board but the backlight works the same.
> I didn't see any difference.

I got this running in my lab now and sent a possible fix.

Regards,
Simon

> Thanks and regards
> Dario
>
> > pwm_backlight_set_brightness seems to set cur_level to max value by default. Maybe the driver thinks there is nothing to do, since current level is also the desired level?
[..]