From: Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net>
To: davem@caip.rutgers.edu (David S. Miller)
Cc: lmlinux@neteng.engr.sgi.com, torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi,
	sparclinux-cvs@caipfs.rutgers.edu, alan@cymru.net
Subject: Re: lmbench with new checksum code...
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 10:35:04 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

> I doubt I can get 2mb/s more out of my code to beat solaris, sigh,
> where the heck could all this overhead possibly be???

What makes you think the Solaris loopback is even doing checksums or a memcpy
via kernel space ? They only way you'll beat solaris at the loopback network
game is to cheat as they do. Make tcp_connect spot a localhost connection
change the socket method to something akin to af_unix but streamlined a bit
(only special case is urgent data).

Alan

From: Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net>
To: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>