* (no subject)
@ 1997-05-27 13:36 root
From: root @ 1997-05-27 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mm

I am leiyin, a software engineer in china, beijing. I am interested
in Linux memory management these day. Since I find an ordinary user
can easily occupy all the memory available. Though I don't think this is
a bug. I wonder whether I can control how much memory a user can occup
,including swap space, or not.

For example, this program occupy.c
compile: cc -o occupy occupy.c

#define BLOCK 100000
#define PGSIZE 4096
char *p[BLOCK];

main()
{
  int i,j;

  for(i=0;i<BLOCK;i++)
  {
    for(j=0;j<PGSIZE;j++)
    p[i][j]  = 0;
    }

  sleep(100000);
}

when I run occupy. My linux system with 32 RAM soon show
Out of Memory. And any other users cannot login and work normally.

Especially in AS400 OS/400 one can distribute a fixed size physical memory
(pool) for a subsystem. If Linux can do this( I mean a fixed size memory for
a user not subsystem), I think linux will become more lovely.

Address:leiyin_linux@163.net