* Proposal - how to make usbip more resistant to misconfiguration
       [not found]   ` <7c22ea61-a9da-caa6-5b69-06e3dfefdb44@elektron.elka.pw.edu.pl>
@ 2018-02-23  0:56     ` wzabolot
From: wzabolot @ 2018-02-23  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 891036; +Cc: LKML, Shuah Khan, linux-usb@vger.kernel.org >> linux-usb

Hi,

I have found that the
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=891036 is not the only
one related to misconfiguration of the usbip driver and tools.
A few weeks ago the similar bug
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=878866 was discovered.
It seems that the configuration of usbip is fragile, and it is easy to
make a mistake leading to the setup that doesn't work correctly.
I suppose, that additional mechanisms should be added to prevent such
problems:

 1. It should be checked DURING THE COMPILATION, that the number of
    ports in a single virtual hub does not exceed 128.
 2. The MAXNPORT constant in tools/usb/usbip/libsrc/vhci_driver.h should
    be defined as:
    #define MAXNPORT ( VHCI_PORTS * VHCI_NR_HCS )

I have not tested the above modifications. If I find some time to verify
them, and if they are correct, I'll submit the official patches.

With best regards,
Wojtek

--
Wojciech M Zabolotny, PhD
Institute of Electronic Systems

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-02-23  1:14 UTC | newest]