* Yocto concept and support for dual version firmware upgrad and boot
@ 2019-05-03  1:55 JH
From: JH @ 2019-05-03  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

Hi,

Are there any Yocto recipes to support dual version control for
firmware image upgrade and boot?

The scenario is to make 2 partitions, one partition to install a work
version of image, say v1.0, another partition to install a development
version of image, say v1.1, the boot process should pick up the
highest the version v1.1 first, if it fails to boot, it retreats back
to boot old version v1.0.

Appreciate any tips or reference for that implementation in Yocto.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- jupiter

* Re: Yocto concept and support for dual version firmware upgrad and boot
@ 2019-05-03  5:29 ` Henrik Nymann Jensen (HNJE)
From: Henrik Nymann Jensen (HNJE) @ 2019-05-03  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 2019-05-03 03:55, JH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any Yocto recipes to support dual version control for
> firmware image upgrade and boot?

This is not something Yocto comes with out of the box, but both rauc and
swupdate
provides a meta layer you could use.

https://github.com/rauc/meta-rauc
https://github.com/sbabic/meta-swupdate

@ 2019-05-03  6:37 ` Jaquier Cyril
From: Jaquier Cyril @ 2019-05-03  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH, Yocto discussion list

Hi,

I've been experimenting with mender a bit lately. Works great so far and it's fully integrated into yocto:

https://mender.io/

There are a few other solutions available for Yocto:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/System_Update#Comparison

Regards,
Cyril

@ 2019-05-03  9:16   ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-05-03  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaquier Cyril; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Thanks Jaquier, did you run mender in an embedded system?

@ 2019-05-03  9:25   ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2019-05-03  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jaquier Cyril; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 07:46, Jaquier Cyril <Cyril.Jaquier@asyril.com> wrote:
> There are a few other solutions available for Yocto:
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/System_Update#Comparison

That list needs updating as there's a few more available now such as
Balena and UpdateHub, but both Mendor and swupdate are both still
going strong and have supported integration.  I've heard good things
about swupdate, and it can be used to implement your design:
https://sbabic.github.io/swupdate/overview.html#double-copy-with-fall-back

Ross

* Re: Yocto concept and support for dual version firmware upgrad and boot
@ 2019-05-03 10:59     ` Jaquier Cyril
From: Jaquier Cyril @ 2019-05-03 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Only on a Raspberry Pi 3 so far (uboot supported is already present for it).