* Regarding selecting scheduler at boot time...
@ 2012-06-21 21:10 Tapdiya, Ashish
From: Tapdiya, Ashish @ 2012-06-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

My hypervisor version is 4.1.2 and dom0 is ubuntu oneiric 3.0.30.

When I supply sched=sedf or sched=arinc653 as boot parameter I can't boot into dom0. However, if I supply sched=credit (default) or sched=credit2, specified scheduler gets selected and dom0 boots perfectly fine. Not sure if it is a bug.

Thanks,
Ashish

* Re: Regarding selecting scheduler at boot time...
@ 2012-06-21 22:02 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2012-06-21 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tapdiya, Ashish; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 16:10 -0500, Tapdiya, Ashish wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> My hypervisor version is 4.1.2 and dom0 is ubuntu oneiric 3.0.30.
>
> When I supply sched=sedf or sched=arinc653 as boot parameter I can't boot into dom0.

ARNIC653, I never tried. Anyway, can you tell us something more about
that inability to boot? Where does it hands? Do you have a log of some
sort? Maybe the output of a serial console (see this:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console).

Also, what machine are we talking about? E.g., how many and what kind of
CPUs?

Thanks and Regards,
Dario

Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://retis.sssup.it/people/faggioli

* Re: Regarding selecting scheduler at boot time...
@ 2012-06-21 22:31   ` Tapdiya, Ashish
From: Tapdiya, Ashish @ 2012-06-21 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli; +Cc: xen-devel

Dario,

I dont have a log currently, I will get it as soon as possible. I am using a single physical machine, Intel Xeon 2.4 Ghz Quad Core.

Thanks,
~Ashish
On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 16:10 -0500, Tapdiya, Ashish wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

@ 2012-06-22  9:51 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2012-06-22  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tapdiya, Ashish; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Tapdiya, Ashish
<ashish.tapdiya@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My hypervisor version is 4.1.2 and dom0 is ubuntu oneiric 3.0.30.
>
> When I supply sched=sedf or sched=arinc653 as boot parameter I can't boot into dom0. However, if I supply sched=credit (default) or sched=credit2, specified scheduler gets selected and dom0 boots perfectly fine. Not sure if it is a bug.

arinc653 is a custom scheduler written by a single company for a
specific purpose (something to do with a hard real-time scheduling
problem they had).  None of the regular xen.org developers use it or
know anything about it, including exactly what it's for, what kind of
hardware it's expected to run on, or what kind of parameters are
required for it to boot.  It may even be the case that the company
that wrote it also has a custom OS that runs as a dom0.  So unless you
know what you need it for, it's probably best to leave that one alone.
:-)

sedf should work; a proper bug report (including serial console output
and a hardware description) will make fixing that bug a lot quicker.

 -George

* Re: Regarding selecting scheduler at boot time...
@ 2012-06-25 17:22     ` Tapdiya, Ashish
From: Tapdiya, Ashish @ 2012-06-25 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tapdiya, Ashish, Dario Faggioli; +Cc: xen-devel

> ARNIC653, I never tried. Anyway, can you tell us something more about
that inability to boot? Where does it hands? Do you have a log of some
sort? Maybe the output of a serial console

I removed the current xen installation from system and downloaded the newest release from http://xen.org/products/downloads.html. With the new release sched=sedf parameter works and it can select sedf scheduler.

~Ashish
I dont have a log currently, I will get it as soon as possible. I am using a single physical machine, Intel Xeon 2.4 Ghz Quad Core.

Thanks,
~Ashish
On Thu, 2012-06-21 at 16:10 -0500, Tapdiya, Ashish wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,