* OMAP3 EVM kernel
@ 2012-05-08 13:36 Michael Crowe
From: Michael Crowe @ 2012-05-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

I'm attempting to build a linux kernel (3.4-rc4) for the AM/DM37x Evaluation Module.   I built my own cross tools using CrossTools-ng (gcc4.4.3, glibc2.9, binutils2.21.1a).  I am using the bootloader that came on the board and booting from the mmc card.  Below is the output I get at startup.

Should I be attempting this from the tmlind git tree instead of stable?

Could someone send me a .config file from a known working kernel?  I am dreadfully ignorant about ARM processors, having spent the last 12 years as a PPC guy.  I now have this ARM eval kit sitting on my desk that I really need to get working in short order.  :)

Thanks,
--Mike

<output>
Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.46 (Aug 16 2010 - 08:13:53)
Starting X-loader on MMC
Reading boot sector

212880 Bytes Read from MMC
Starting OS Bootloader from MMC...
Starting OS Bootloader...

U-Boot 2009.11 (Aug 16 2010 - 09:35:30)

AM37x/DM37x-GP ES2.1, CPU-OPP2 L3-165MHz
OMAP3 EVM board + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  256 MB
NAND:  512 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Read back SMSC id 0x92200000
Die ID #1f6800029ff80000015f26ad0f022014
Net:   smc911x-0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
mmc1 is available
reading boot.scr

307 bytes read
Running bootscript from mmc ...
## Executing script at 82000000
reading uImage

3944336 bytes read
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80200000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-3.4.0-rc2+
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    3944272 Bytes =  3.8 MB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

</output>

* Re: OMAP3 EVM kernel
@ 2012-05-08 14:14 ` Anatolij Gustschin
From: Anatolij Gustschin @ 2012-05-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Crowe; +Cc: linux-omap

On Tue, 8 May 2012 13:36:47 +0000
Michael Crowe <michael.crowe@compunetix.com> wrote:
> 3944336 bytes read
> ## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80200000 ...
>    Image Name:   Linux-3.4.0-rc2+
>    Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
>    Data Size:    3944272 Bytes =  3.8 MB
>    Load Address: 80008000
>    Entry Point:  80008000
>    Verifying Checksum ... OK
> OK
>
> Starting kernel ...
>
> Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Your kernel is probably booting, but without serial console output. What
does U-Boot pass as the serial console parameter? If something like "console=ttySx"
then it might be the issue. With this recent kernel try passing "console=ttyOx"
instead (where 'x' is the UART number).

HTH,
Anatolij

* RE: OMAP3 EVM kernel
@ 2012-05-08 18:10   ` Michael Crowe
From: Michael Crowe @ 2012-05-08 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anatolij Gustschin; +Cc: linux-omap

Thank you...you are correct, Sir.  I changed the console to ttyO0 and now have output.  I am having issues trying to mount the RFS that is on the MMC card but have not fully investigated that issue yet.

I would still really like to see a OMAP3_EVM .config file if anyone has one available.

Thanks,
--Mike