* SWUpdate with unified-kernel using UUID in the kernel command line
@ 2023-01-27  7:19 Shivanand.Kunijadar
From: Shivanand.Kunijadar @ 2023-01-27  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev; +Cc: jan.kiszka, kazuhiro3.hayashi, dinesh.kumar, Venkata.Pyla

Hi CIP-team,

I'm trying to use UUID in the kernel command line for selecting the boot target(rootfs) with unified-kernel image.
Check the below details on how UUID is used to switch the partitions and let me know what is the advantage of the initramfs script approach over UUID?

* Use filesystem UUID to specify the boot target (rootfs)
* UUID is generated for each filesystem and its value changes every release.
* Each unified kernel image is always generated with root=UUID=(The UUID of corresponding filesystem) in its cmdline and .swu includes the pair of unified kernel and rootfs.
* Install the update image using raw update type (i.e. block level).

Example:

Before update, Active partition: ROOTFS-A(mmcblk1p4):
sudo blkid
/dev/mmcblk1p4: LABEL="ROOTFS1" UUID="U1" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="ROOTFS1" PARTUUID="PARTUUID1"
/dev/mmcblk1p5: LABEL="ROOTFS2" UUID="U0" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="ROOTFS2" PARTUUID="PARTUUID2"

While building .swu
.swu includes...
a partition image (for ROOTFS-X) which UUID is U2
a unified kernel which cmdline includes root=UUID=U2

While installing the .swu for ROOTFS-B:
Unified kernel is installed to BOOT-B(mmcblk1p2)
The partition image is installed to ROOTFS-B(mmcblk1p5)

After update, Active partition: ROOTFS-B(mmcblk1p5):
sudo blkid
/dev/mmcblk1p4: LABEL="ROOTFS1" UUID="U1" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="ROOTFS1" PARTUUID="PARTUUID1"
/dev/mmcblk1p5: LABEL="ROOTFS2" UUID="U2" TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="ROOTFS2" PARTUUID="PARTUUID2"

Thanks & Regards
Shivanand K

* RE: SWUpdate with unified-kernel using UUID in the kernel command line
@ 2023-01-31  5:01 ` Shivanand.Kunijadar
From: Shivanand.Kunijadar @ 2023-01-31  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev; +Cc: jan.kiszka, dinesh.kumar, Venkata.Pyla, kazuhiro3.hayashi

Hi CIP-team,

Any comments on this approach ?
Let's discuss this topic in the today's CIP core meeting.

Thanks & Regards
Shivanand K

@ 2023-01-31  7:16 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2023-01-31  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shivanand.Kunijadar, cip-dev
  Cc: kazuhiro3.hayashi, dinesh.kumar, Venkata.Pyla

On 27.01.23 08:19, Shivanand.Kunijadar@toshiba-tsip.com wrote:
> Hi CIP-team,
>
> I'm trying to use UUID in the kernel command line for selecting the boot target(rootfs) with unified-kernel image.
> Check the below details on how UUID is used to switch the partitions and let me know what is the advantage of the initramfs script approach over UUID?
>
> * Use filesystem UUID to specify the boot target (rootfs)

We considered using filesystem UUIDs for selecting the rootfs by the UKI
 (in the absence for dm-verity-based peering), but not all filesystems
come with this feature. Therefore, isar-cip-core implements a mechanism
that is independent of the filesystem type.

HTH,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Technology