* Missing package when sending patchset
@ 2022-04-01 13:11 Sevinj Aghayeva
From: Sevinj Aghayeva @ 2022-04-01 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

Hi all,

I just tried sending out the first patchset, which apparently must be
sent using the "git send-email" command. I got the following error
when I first tried git send-email:

git: 'send-email' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Stefano on IRC pointed out that I'm missing the git-email package.
After installing the package I was able to send out the patchset. I've
updated https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup to include
the git-email package in the list of packages needed for Ubuntu.

--

Sevinj.Aghayeva

* Re: Missing package when sending patchset
@ 2022-04-01 20:28 ` Bruno
From: Bruno @ 2022-04-01 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

Heyy, I replied this e-mail from my phone in the morning and it sent
in HTML, even though it appeared to be text plain. I apologize. Now
I'm sending an updated status!

On Fri, 2022-04-01 at 09:11 -0400, Sevinj Aghayeva wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just tried sending out the first patchset,
Congrats, Sevinj!

> git: 'send-email' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Indeed in some distributions a software is fragmented into lots of
packages. On Arch, though, the package git comes complete.

> Stefano on IRC pointed out that I'm missing the git-email package.
> After installing the package I was able to send out the patchset.
> I've
> updated https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup to
> include
> the git-email package in the list of packages needed for Ubuntu.

In the message this morning I told I would update it too for two
missing perl packages for Arch users, likely related to SMTP
authentication: 'MIME::Base64' and 'Authen::SASL'. I updated the page
with instructions on how to do that too!

* Re: Missing package when sending patchset
@ 2022-04-03  9:01   ` Stefano Brivio
From: Stefano Brivio @ 2022-04-03  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy; +Cc: Bruno, Sevinj Aghayeva

On Fri, 01 Apr 2022 17:28:51 -0300
Bruno <codeagain@codeagain.dev> wrote:

> Heyy, I replied this e-mail from my phone in the morning and it sent
> in HTML, even though it appeared to be text plain. I apologize. Now
> I'm sending an updated status!
>
> On Fri, 2022-04-01 at 09:11 -0400, Sevinj Aghayeva wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just tried sending out the first patchset,
> Congrats, Sevinj!
> >
> > git: 'send-email' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
>
> Indeed in some distributions a software is fragmented into lots of
> packages. On Arch, though, the package git comes complete.
>

> > Stefano on IRC pointed out that I'm missing the git-email package.
> > After installing the package I was able to send out the patchset.
> > I've
> > updated https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyfirstpatchSetup to
> > include
> > the git-email package in the list of packages needed for Ubuntu.
>
> In the message this morning I told I would update it too for two
> missing perl packages for Arch users, likely related to SMTP
> authentication: 'MIME::Base64' and 'Authen::SASL'. I updated the page
> with instructions on how to do that too!

Thanks both (and Rebecca, too!) for updating those pages. It's very
much needed, so don't be shy. :)

By the way, you might also want to link to https://git-send-email.io/,
but I'd leave it to you, you know first-hand about the usability of
those pages/steps.

--
Stefano