* How to use fru-device
@ 2019-03-14 10:41 John Wang
From: John Wang @ 2019-03-14 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi all

I have now encountered a problem with fru-device (entity-manager).

1 Make the fru.bin file /etc/fru/baseboard.fru.bin for
testing,Everything looks great
2 dd if/etc/fru/baseboard.fru.bin of=/sys/class/i2c-dev/xxxxx/eeprom,
busctrl tree xyz.openbmc_project.FruDevice will appear
/xyz/openbmc_project/FruDevice/____________product_manufacturer_______________________________
Similar path. View the properties through busctl introspect and find
that the property values are also garbled.
3 Delete the eeprom node in the dts file and still have this problem.

Note:  eeprom at24c512 16bit

Does anyone help me to point out where I should pay attention when
debugging, how should I solve this problem?

Best Regards

John

* Re: How to use fru-device
@ 2019-03-14 15:57 ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2019-03-14 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc; +Cc: Amithash Prasad

On 3/14/19 3:41 AM, John Wang wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have now encountered a problem with fru-device (entity-manager).
>
> 1 Make the fru.bin file /etc/fru/baseboard.fru.bin for
> testing,Everything looks great
> 2 dd if/etc/fru/baseboard.fru.bin of=/sys/class/i2c-dev/xxxxx/eeprom,
> busctrl tree xyz.openbmc_project.FruDevice will appear
> /xyz/openbmc_project/FruDevice/____________product_manufacturer_______________________________
> Similar path. View the properties through busctl introspect and find
> that the property values are also garbled.
> 3 Delete the eeprom node in the dts file and still have this problem.
>
> Note:  eeprom at24c512 16bit

FruDevice has primarly been used with 8bit eeproms up to this point,
Amithash is adding 16 bit support but I'm not sure how well it works yet.

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/entity-manager/+/18783/

If you compile with DEBUG = true
https://github.com/openbmc/entity-manager/blob/master/src/FruDevice.cpp#L42
you might get some better debug.