* What category of Firewall does Netfilter fall under?
@ 2009-08-26  8:47 tom murphy
From: tom murphy @ 2009-08-26  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Dear experts,

How would one classify netfilter?

Its seems there are at least 3 categories of firewall:
1) packet filter (stateless filtering)
2) stateful filter
3) appliaction-level filter (aka. proxy filter)

most literature, seems to refer to netfilter as a packet filter.

From the main netfilter website and the man pages it appears it can be
classified as a stateful packet filter.

However, I also see it can do deep packet inspection at the
application layer with the L7-Filter module and from what I can tell,
with the normal String match module.

So, can netfilter be classifed as a proxy firewall as a default classification.

I can clearly see (well at least for the first 2 classifications) that
netfilter can play various roles depending on your requirements. That
is it can be either of 1,2 or 3 defined above.

Any opinions or comments on helping me pigion hole Netfilter/iptables.
Perhaps stateful filter implies packet filter also.

regards,
Tom.

* Re: What category of Firewall does Netfilter fall under?
@ 2009-08-26  8:53 ` Richard Horton
From: Richard Horton @ 2009-08-26  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom murphy; +Cc: netfilter

2009/8/26 tom murphy <tommurphy105@gmail.com>:
> Dear experts,
>
> How would one classify netfilter?
>
> Its seems there are at least 3 categories of firewall:
> 1) packet filter (stateless filtering)
> 2) stateful filter
> 3) appliaction-level filter (aka. proxy filter)

And as outlined by yourself and below by me... ipt is atleast 2 of the 3.

[snip]
> Any opinions or comments on helping me pigion hole Netfilter/iptables.
> Perhaps stateful filter implies packet filter also.

Just my personal opinion but for a firewall to be a stateful firewall
it must by definition carry out packet filtering.

iptables in its base form is a packet filtering firewall. Add the
conntrack support and it becomes a stateful firewall. Add the advanced
matching abilitiy and the L7 capability and it becomes an application
firewall.

I'd be inclined though to classify ipt as a stateful firewall though
for most uses as the application firewall ability is provided by
additional components and may, depending on definition, not fully
qualify as an application firewall.

--
Richard Horton
Users are like a virus: Each causing a thousand tiny crises until the

* Re: What category of Firewall does Netfilter fall under?
@ 2009-08-26  9:01   ` Peter Chacko
From: Peter Chacko @ 2009-08-26  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Horton; +Cc: tom murphy, netfilter

One clarification related to this, whats the difference between
advanced string matching capability and L7 filter based firewall ? The
obvious difference i see is string matching is a kind of stateless ,
L7 filter if we are using urls as the strings.
if string matching is integrated with  ftp/http connection tracking
module, do we really need L7 -filter module also ?

Thanks in advance for sharing your inputs.
Peter chacko.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Richard Horton<arimus.uk@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/26 tom murphy <tommurphy105@gmail.com>:
>> Dear experts,
>>
>> How would one classify netfilter?
>>
>> Its seems there are at least 3 categories of firewall:
>> 1) packet filter (stateless filtering)
>> 2) stateful filter
>> 3) appliaction-level filter (aka. proxy filter)
>
> And as outlined by yourself and below by me... ipt is atleast 2 of the 3.
>
> [snip]
>> Any opinions or comments on helping me pigion hole Netfilter/iptables.
>> Perhaps stateful filter implies packet filter also.
>
> Just my personal opinion but for a firewall to be a stateful firewall
> it must by definition carry out packet filtering.
>
> iptables in its base form is a packet filtering firewall. Add the
> conntrack support and it becomes a stateful firewall. Add the advanced
> matching abilitiy and the L7 capability and it becomes an application
> firewall.
>
> I'd be inclined though to classify ipt as a stateful firewall though
> for most uses as the application firewall ability is provided by
> additional components and may, depending on definition, not fully
> qualify as an application firewall.
>

> --
> Richard Horton
> Users are like a virus: Each causing a thousand tiny crises until the
> host finally dies.
> http://www.solstans.co.uk - Solstans Japanese Bobtails and Norwegian Forest Cats
> http://www.pbase.com/arimus - My online photogallery

Best regards,
Peter Chacko

NetDiox computing systems,
Network storage & OS  training and research.
Bangalore, India.
www.netdiox.com
080 2664 0708

* Re: What category of Firewall does Netfilter fall under?
@ 2009-08-26  9:52   ` tom murphy
From: tom murphy @ 2009-08-26  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

>> Its seems there are at least 3 categories of firewall:
>> 1) packet filter (stateless filtering)
>> 2) stateful filter
>> 3) appliaction-level filter (aka. proxy filter)
>
> And as outlined by yourself and below by me... ipt is atleast 2 of the 3.
>
> [snip]
>> Any opinions or comments on helping me pigion hole Netfilter/iptables.
>> Perhaps stateful filter implies packet filter also.
>
> Just my personal opinion but for a firewall to be a stateful firewall
> it must by definition carry out packet filtering.
>
> iptables in its base form is a packet filtering firewall. Add the
> conntrack support and it becomes a stateful firewall. Add the advanced
> matching abilitiy and the L7 capability and it becomes an application
> firewall.
>
> I'd be inclined though to classify ipt as a stateful firewall though
> for most uses as the application firewall ability is provided by
> additional components and may, depending on definition, not fully
> qualify as an application firewall.

I agree. It was all the additional nuts and bolts that integrates with
Netfilter that was throwing me off.

I guess, Netfilter while it can perform as a proxy (NAT translation)
and provide deep packet inspection on other application-level
services, it is not suited as a proxy in the general sense. For
example, SQUID would be more suited as a web proxy (Cache and Access
Control) rather than trying to bend Netfilter to fall into this role
(performance reasons, granularity etc).

So I guess, I am inclined to say Netfilter is by default a Stateful
Packet Filter (I think conntracking is activated by default in the
kernal) and as a result it also subsumes the traditional stateless
packet filtering capabilities also.