* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting micro-conference 2023
@ 2023-06-05 20:54 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-06-05 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing, Michael Sweet, Ira McDonald, Piotr Pawliczek,
	Benjamin Gordon, Aveek Basu, Zdenek Dohnal

Hi,

this year the Linux Plumbers takes place on Nov 13-15, clashing with the
PWG Virtual F2F on Nov 14-16. Also the date is very late in the year.

So we (Aveek and me) decided to do this year's micro-conference on a
different platform.

The DebConf takes place in India this year, in Kochi (near the southern
tip of India), on Sep 10-17 (8 days, Sun-Sun), this led me to the idea
to travel to India this year and I suggested to Aveek to do a panel with
him and the GSoC contributors/mentors on the DebConf.

Then we realized that India is huge and Kochi in the very South, Aveek's
home in the very East, and Mandi, where most of the contributors study,
is in the very North of India, so we cannot easily meet all in Kochi.

So Aveek suggested that we all should meet in Mandi (he already
organized such an event some years ago, with ~150 attendees) and then I
suggested to run a 2-day OpenPrinting conference there, with 2 panels
(one technical, one community), talks of the contributors, also Michael
Sweet or others speaking remotely, a workshop of recycling old printers
and scanners with a Raspberry Pi, ...

We came also to the conclusion to not only have sessions about printing
and for that to run a second track in a second room for which we post a CfP.

And after discussing all this we came to the conclusion why not taking
half a day of the OpenPrinting track and use it for the
micro-conference, running the micro-conference with students and
professors of the IIT Mandi as audience. Michael, Zdenek, Piotr, ...
could connect remotely while Aveek, me and the contributors are on the
stage.

As the date we have though about the weekend of 9-10 of Sep, so that
after the conference I could move to DebConf and there also give a talk
about the conference.

So WDYT?

The MC would happen on Sat or Sun in the afternoon Indian time.

Would this work for you? Or do we have to run it on a workday?

I have also talked with the Community Team of Canonical and they would
provide me the system for remote speaking, live streaming, and recording
the conference (Streamyard, what is also used for the Indabas and was
used for the Ubuntu Summit 2022 in Prague).

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting micro-conference 2023
@ 2023-06-05 21:19 ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2023-06-05 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Ira McDonald
  Cc: Benjamin Gordon, Aveek Basu, Piotr Pawliczek, Open Printing

Hi Till,

This idea all makes sense, EXCEPT that 9-10 September is a Saturday/Sunday.

For me (and probably Mike and others), that's out-of-the-question.

If you could back up two days to 7-8 September on Thursday/Friday, then I
could
possibly call in.

Remember that there is a 9 1/2 hour time difference between IST in India
and EDT
in US.  So the only practical timeslot is very early EDT in US (e.g., 7am)
and late
afternoon in India (e.g., 4:30pm) and early afternoon in Europe (e.g., 1pm
CEST).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
- Ira

*Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)*

*Chair - SAE Trust Anchors and Authentication TF*
*Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG*

*Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG*

*Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WGSecretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer
Working GroupCo-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WGIETF
Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIBBlue Roof Music / High North
Inchttp://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
<http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic>http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
<http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc>mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
<blueroofmusic@gmail.com>(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434*

@ 2023-06-06  6:45 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2023-06-06  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Open Printing, Michael Sweet, Ira McDonald,
	Piotr Pawliczek, Benjamin Gordon, Aveek Basu

Hi Till,

it works for me at the moment, but I will know for sure at the beginning
of July - I'm planning to visit the UK this year and I'm not sure right
now when (we have to buy tickets to HP museum and to football match, so
right now we don't know which date we get).

I can attend remotely and watch the talks, pitch into the conversation
when I can comment.

Zdenek

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Senior Software Engineer

* Re: [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting micro-conference 2023
@ 2023-06-09  5:14   ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2023-06-09  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald, Till Kamppeter
  Cc: Open Printing, Piotr Pawliczek, Aveek Basu, Benjamin Gordon