* Re: Re: ramdisk problem
@ 2002-06-13 13:43 somshekar chandrashekar kadam
From: somshekar chandrashekar kadam @ 2002-06-13 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Denk; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded, Lin,    Nan-Hung

hi Wolfgang ,
    yah i have stripped off ppcbootloader as u saud inthe mail ,
  i  have set cross compiler for ppc on my i386 machine ,
after compiling zImage i give command make zImage.initrd
so that r4,r5 contain initrd offset and size
i am getting initrd offset as 9099b

initrd_load routine is called ,he is checking at this loaction for
start of ramdisk image ,he is not getting it, so he says couldnt
find valid ramdisk image

what can be the problem
thanks in advance
regards
somshekar

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 Wolfgang Denk wrote :
>In message <20020613111432.22212.qmail@webmail27.rediffmail.com>
>you wrote:
> >
> > when i am booting its saying ,couldnt find valid ramdisk image
>,i
> > am using pRamdisk from denx site which u have sent me the
>link
>
>As I wrote you have to strip the PPCBoot header if you are not
>using
>PPCBoot as boot loader.
>
>Did you do this?
>
> >    he is calling PAGE ALIGN
> >   i dont what it does  but i mostly think
> >     it computes the offset after after zImage
> >   as it is given as a parameter
>
>I cannot make sense out of this. What exactly did you do? How did
>you
>build your zImage.initrd image?
>
>Wolfgang Denk
>
>--
>Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded
>Linux
>Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email:
>wd@denx.de
>It would seem that evil retreats when forcibly confronted
> 	-- Yarnek of Excalbia, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5

* Re: ramdisk problem
@ 2002-06-13 13:54 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2002-06-13 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: somshekar chandrashekar kadam; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded, Lin,     Nan-Hung

In message <20020613134334.24727.qmail@webmail21.rediffmail.com> you wrote:

> after compiling zImage i give command make zImage.initrd
> so that r4,r5 contain initrd offset and size
> i am getting initrd offset as 9099b
>
> initrd_load routine is called ,he is checking at this loaction for
> start of ramdisk image ,he is not getting it, so he says couldnt
> find valid ramdisk image
>
> what can be the problem

How do you load the image? Linux uses a special segment  in  the  ELF
file  for the initrd image; maybe your bot loader does not understand
this, and drops it?

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
"Have you lived in this village all your life?"        "No, not yet."

* Re: Re: ramdisk problem
@ 2002-06-13 15:20 somshekar chandrashekar kadam
From: somshekar chandrashekar kadam @ 2002-06-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Denk; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded, Lin,    Nan-Hung

hi Denk,

      i use kernel provided bootloader to load image,
  i am using binary form of zImage
  i didnt get u denk ,i dont know abt this elf what u have said ,i
am not sure abt it ,i will check it