* CDDA ->MP3 Conversion
@ 2002-07-11  2:52 Matthew Stapleton
From: Matthew Stapleton @ 2002-07-11  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Is there a conversion suite in Linux to convert CDDA format to MP3
easily?

Thanks,
Matthew Stapleton

* Re: CDDA ->MP3 Conversion
@ 2002-07-15 14:44 ` Petre Bandac
From: Petre Bandac @ 2002-07-15 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Stapleton, dalgoda; +Cc: linux-newbie

www.xiph.org

slackware > 8.0 has a package oggutils which does the job ....

HTH,

petre

On Monday 15 July 2002 15:02, Matthew Stapleton wrote using one of his
keyboards:
> Excuse my ignorance but what is "ogg"?  Is it a new sound format?
>
> -MS
>

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 22:28:01 -0700 dalgoda@ix.netcom.com (Mike Castle)
>
> writes:
> > In article <20020712.142607.-314991.0.matthewstapleton@juno.com>,
> >
> > Matthew Stapleton  <matthewstapleton@juno.com> wrote:
> > >cdda2wav and BladeEnc seemed to work well for me.
> >
> > You may also consider lame and also switching from mp3 to ogg.
> >
> > mrc
> >
> > --
> >      Mike Castle      dalgoda@ix.netcom.com
> > www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/
> >     We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  --
> > Watchmen
> > fatal ("You are in a maze of twisty compiler features, all
> > different"); -- gcc
> > -
> > linux-newbie" in
> > Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs
>
> Matthew Stapleton

  5:44pm  up 34 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.32, 0.23, 0.14
-

* Re: CDDA ->MP3 Conversion
@ 2002-07-15 14:40 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-07-15 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Stapleton; +Cc: linux-newbie

At 08:14 AM 7/15/02 -0400, Matthew Stapleton wrote:
>How might one go about ripping a CD into OGG files?

[old stuff deleted]

The actual ripping part is the same as with MP3; you use an app that
converts the CD tracks into WAV files. The change is at the next step,
compressing the WAV files into ogg format instead of MP3.

Exactly how you do it probably depends on what is prepackaged for whichever
Linux distro you use. I use a "super-app" called abcde, which is just a
bunch of wrappers (in Perl, I believe) that runs a series of other apps to
download CD info (wget), rip to WAVs (cdparanoia), compress to MP3 (any mp3
encoder) or OGG (oggenc), create a playlist,  put the results someplace
sensible, and clean up the temporary files. Installing the Debian version
of abcde gets all the other stuff installed (thanks to a good dependency
system); YMMV on that, depending on your distro.

* Re: CDDA ->MP3 Conversion
@ 2002-07-15 12:14 Matthew Stapleton
From: Matthew Stapleton @ 2002-07-15 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matthewstapleton; +Cc: dalgoda, linux-newbie

How might one go about ripping a CD into OGG files?

-MS

@ 2002-07-15 12:02 Matthew Stapleton
From: Matthew Stapleton @ 2002-07-15 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dalgoda; +Cc: linux-newbie

@ 2002-07-15  5:28 ` Mike Castle
From: Mike Castle @ 2002-07-15  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

@ 2002-07-12 18:26 Matthew Stapleton
From: Matthew Stapleton @ 2002-07-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: a_othieno; +Cc: linux-newbie

cdda2wav and BladeEnc seemed to work well for me.

-MS