* icmp redirect
@ 2002-07-10 17:11 Jan Humme
From: Jan Humme @ 2002-07-10 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I am developing an application that will eventually run on a PC with two
ethernet cards; unfortunately the development PC that I use has only one
ethernet card (eth0) and no available slots (except for one that I need for
another purpose).

Doesn't matter, during the development I can have both applications use eth0
instead, if I can only stop the icmp redirect messages that the kernel sends
back to the source, whenever it finds out that it is forwarding a packet via
the same eth0 interface on which it came in.

Of course, I can choke the icmp redirect message using iptables, but is there
a better (proper) way, to prevent the message from being generated?

Jan Humme.

* ICMP REDIRECT
@ 2005-03-18 15:29 vardhaman.m
From: vardhaman.m @ 2005-03-18 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello All,
The manformated ( not having complete pay load, which are generated by
utilities like hping and send-ip) ICMP redirect packets are getting
droped after PREROUTING chain of mangle table.  I want these ICMP
REDIRECT ( icmp type 5 ) packets to be traversed till filter table
even though it does not have connection tracking entry.
I want where all I have to put NF_ACCEPT in netfilter code for this to happen.
I am using 2.4.26 kernel.

Can anybody through light on this.

Thanks in advance.
Vardhaman M

* ICMP Redirect
@ 2006-05-07  7:19 R. Rajasekaran
From: R. Rajasekaran @ 2006-05-07  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Kindly help me in understanding the observation of
following experiment :-

 --------         --------
 |      |         |      |
 |  H1  |---------|  H2  |
 |      |         |      |
 --------         --------

H1 and H2 are two Linux host.

IP of H1   = 10.0.0.1
MAC of H1  = 00:00:00:00:00:01

IP of H2   = 10.0.0.2
MAC of H2  = 00:00:00:00:00:02

Now I did the following configurations.

1) In host H1
-------------
I added a static arp entry in the arp cache of the
host H1
as  arp -s 10.0.0.3 00:00:00:00:00:02.

(ie) the mac address for 10.0.0.3 as H2's mac address.

2) In host H2
-------------
Enabled IP forwarding.

Then from host H1, I made a ping 10.0.0.3.
Here I found that ICMP request from host H1 reaches
host H2,
and host H2 sends the following as ICMP redirect
messages.

From 10.0.0.2: icmp_seq=1 Redirect Host (New nexthop:
10.0.0.3)
From 10.0.0.2: icmp_seq=2 Redirect Host (New nexthop:
10.0.0.3)
From 10.0.0.2: icmp_seq=3 Redirect Host (New nexthop:
10.0.0.3)

The above behaviour is of Linux functionality.
Here the redirect uses the next-hop address as
10.0.0.3.  What is the reason of it ?
It seems confusing because the ping was send just to
that address.

- R. Rajasekaran.

http://mail.yahoo.com