* Security
@ 2002-07-09 16:28 Oliver Ob
From: Oliver Ob @ 2002-07-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lx Newbie List

Hi Linuxers...

I would like to learn more about "Linux and security".

What (useful links also appreciated) sources for reading
and mailinglists can you advise?

Thanks!
--
*º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨¨*¤        =Oliver@home=         *º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨*¤
I       http://www.bmw-roadster.de/Friends/Olli/olli.html       I
>>>  Telek0ma iBBMS - now back online +49.4504.TRSi1/TRSi2   <<<
-

* Re: Security
@ 2002-07-09 17:48 ` Jennifer Olson
From: Jennifer Olson @ 2002-07-09 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lx Newbie List

Hello All,

A good source to go to for Linux and Security is www.LinuxSecurity.com.
They have a lot of good beginner articles as well as advanced articles.

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 12:28, Oliver Ob wrote:
> Hi Linuxers...
>
> I would like to learn more about "Linux and security".
>
> What (useful links also appreciated) sources for reading
> and mailinglists can you advise?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> *º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨¨*¤        =Oliver@home=         *º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨*¤
> I       http://www.bmw-roadster.de/Friends/Olli/olli.html       I
> I       http://www.bmw-roadster.de/Friends/friends.html         I
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

-

* Re: Security
@ 2002-07-09 18:05   ` Wladimir Foo
From: Wladimir Foo @ 2002-07-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jennifer Olson, Lx Newbie List

Take a look at our site as well... we have a few howto's on security (iptables
tutorials, logging etc etc). Might come in helpful.

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 01:48 pm, Jennifer Olson wrote:

--
perl -le
'$_="75>42833<33.=3?,13406577073890:;90833<330690<3!!";tr[0-?][YXOUIWLVETHDCNM];print'

-

* Re: Security
@ 2002-07-09 18:25     ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2002-07-09 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wfoo; +Cc: linux-newbie

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 18:05, Wladimir Foo wrote:
> Take a look at our site as well... we have a few howto's on security

Ah!, i can duduce what you mean, you meant, take a look at

www.linuxvoodoo.com

I wonder how many are thinking right now, what site does he mean.

It may be a good idea to announce the "full" URL so folks can simply click on
it and "see" what you mean without them having to think.

> (iptables tutorials, logging etc etc). Might come in helpful.
>
> On Tuesday 09 July 2002 01:48 pm, Jennifer Olson wrote:

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl

-

* Re: Security
@ 2002-07-11  7:01 ` Kilaru Sambaiah
From: Kilaru Sambaiah @ 2002-07-11  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Ob, Lx Newbie List

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 09:58 pm, Oliver Ob wrote:
> Hi Linuxers...
>
> I would like to learn more about "Linux and security".
>
> What (useful links also appreciated) sources for reading
> and mailinglists can you advise?

  First learn linux well. It takes 2 years to really learn linux.
  (how it bootsup, inet, sendmail, dns, http server few of them)
  To understand and implement any security on linux or
   any other system you need to understand the system.

   Along with learning these issues you can read securing
    and optimizing redhat linux  which is little outdate free copy
   and you have to pay $$ for latest. Eventhough it is redhat
    specific it has got good concepts you can grab.
   all the best,
Sam
-

* Re: security
@ 2004-02-18  2:10     ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-02-18  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 01:22 PM 2/17/2004 -0800, dave wrote:
[...]
>  That was a typo.  I've made some progress with Rays help.  It appears
> msec is causing the problem.  It keeps running and revoking the write on
> the /home/everyone subdirectory for the group.  I'll work on msec.
>Thanks for the help

If I read the online docs for msec correctly, the standard mask for
permissions is normally determined by the security level you choose to run
msec at; the higher the level, the more restrictive the permissions. But
this is one of the things you can modify independent of security level, by
settings in

         /etc/security/msec/perm.$PERM_LEVEL
or
         /etc/security/msec/perm.local

Look in  http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/smsec.html  for the details.

-

* Re: security
@ 2004-02-17 21:22   ` dave
From: dave @ 2004-02-17 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theo. Sean Schulze; +Cc: linux-newbie

Theo. Sean Schulze wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:55:34AM -0800, dave hunted and pecked out:
>

>>I've been runing Mandrake for a couple of years and I'm still having
>>problems with groups.
>>This is the procedure for making a group and sharing a subdirectory that
>>I use.  Can someone tell me where I'm screwing up?  Thanks in advance
>>
>>Make a folder:   mkdir /home/everyone
>>make group: groupadd everyone
>>add users gpasswd -a dave everyone
>>add users gpasswd -a laura everyone
>>change the group for the folder chgrp -R everyone /home/everyone
>>add write for group everyone chmod g+r /home/everyone
>>

>Could just be a typo, but r adds read privileges.  g+w would add write
>privileges.
>

>>When I'm done with this I still can not make a folder in /home/everyone
>>logged on as dave.
>>

>If that wasn't a typo, then it would explain why you can't write a new
>directory in the /home/everyone folder.
>

>>again thanks for your help
>>
>>--
>>Dave Pomeroy K7DNP South Eastern Washington
>>

>Cheers,
>Sean

Sean,

@ 2004-02-17 19:10 ` Theo. Sean Schulze
From: Theo. Sean Schulze @ 2004-02-17 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:55:34AM -0800, dave hunted and pecked out:
> I've been runing Mandrake for a couple of years and I'm still having
> problems with groups.
> This is the procedure for making a group and sharing a subdirectory that
> I use.  Can someone tell me where I'm screwing up?  Thanks in advance
>
> Make a folder:   mkdir /home/everyone
> make group: groupadd everyone
> add users gpasswd -a dave everyone
> add users gpasswd -a laura everyone
> change the group for the folder chgrp -R everyone /home/everyone
> add write for group everyone chmod g+r /home/everyone

Could just be a typo, but r adds read privileges.  g+w would add write
privileges.

> When I'm done with this I still can not make a folder in /home/everyone
> logged on as dave.

If that wasn't a typo, then it would explain why you can't write a new
directory in the /home/everyone folder.

> again thanks for your help
>
> --
> Dave Pomeroy K7DNP South Eastern Washington

Cheers,
Sean
--
Theo. Sean Schulze
tschulze@teamfinders.org
-

* Re: security
@ 2004-02-17 19:00 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2004-02-17 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 09:55 AM 2/17/2004 -0800, dave wrote:
>I've been runing Mandrake for a couple of years and I'm still having
>problems with groups. This is the procedure for making a group and sharing
>a subdirectory that I use.  Can someone tell me where I'm screwing
>up?  Thanks in advance
>
>Make a folder:   mkdir /home/everyone
>make group: groupadd everyone
>add users gpasswd -a dave everyone
>add users gpasswd -a laura everyone
>change the group for the folder chgrp -R everyone /home/everyone
>add write for group everyone chmod g+r /home/everyone
>When I'm done with this I still can not make a folder in /home/everyone
>logged on as dave.

This step looks wrong:

         chmod g+r /home/everyone

Don't you want this to read

         chmod g+w /home/everyone
or
         chmod g+rw /home/everyone

since making a "folder" (a subdirectory in Linuxspeak) requires writing to
the directory, not reading it?

Anyway, see what "ls -l /home |grep everyone" reports about permissions for
/home/everyone . Even if I've got the chmod options wrong, you want to have
the directory writable by its group ... so make sure the permissions are
something like drwxrwxr-x.  "chmod 775 /home/everyone" should produce this.

If that's not the problem, take a look behind the curtain of the commands
you're trying to see what is actually wrong (though the rest of the
commands you report look OK to me). Look at (or show us) this:

         the entry in /etc/groups for "everyone"
         the output of "ls -l /home | grep everyone"
         the actual error response when userid dave executes these commands
                 touch /home/everyone/sometestfile
                 mkdir /home/everyone/somedirectoryname
                 (or some equivalent commands ... but show both the
                 exact commands and the exact errors)

Also mention if there is anything unusual about what you are doing ... for
example, if an NFS or SMB mount is involved, or if you log in as someone
else then su to dave, or ... you get the idea.

-

* security
@ 2004-02-17 17:55 dave