* Re: symbolic links
       [not found] <20020709205526.GB1736@cam.ac.uk>
@ 2002-07-11  7:55 ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2002-07-11  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sos22; +Cc: linux-newbie

Hi Steve,

thanks for your elaborate explanation.

sos22@cam.ac.uk said:
> First: These errors are almost certainly not caused by problems with
> binutils. They would be reported during the installation of binutils,
> but they probably weren't caused by that.

Correct, it is /sbin/ldconfig giving the errors which apparently is run after

sos22@cam.ac.uk said:
> so it's probably safest just to ignore them unless they're leading to
> problems elsewhere.

That is what I am doing since there seem to be no problems.

/usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5 resides as well in /usr/lib as a symbolic link
to /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.2.

sos22@cam.ac.uk said:
>  However, you only need to care about this if /usr or /usr/local are
> on different partitions to /lib

They are all on different partitions seeminly unhindered.

I don't dare to play with libraries and leave their possitioning to RedHat
during installation or to some programs installed in /usr/local.

Regards
--
Peter

-

* Re: symbolic links
@ 2002-07-06  8:13 ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2002-07-06  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter, linux

On Saturday 06 July 2002 04:03, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when reinstalling binutils-2.10.91.0.2-3 which apparenly got corrupted I
> received the following messages:
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.2 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libncurses.so.4 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/liboaf.so.0 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libncurses.so.5 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/lib/libgtkextra-0.99.so.1 is not a symbolic link
>
> /sbin/ldconfig: /usr/local/qt/lib/libqt.so.2 is not a symbolic link
>
> How do I go about that?

AFAIK the libs;
/usr/lib/libkdeui.so.2
/usr/lib/libncurses.so.4
/usr/lib/liboaf.so.0
Should reside in /lib and there should be s symbolic link in /usr/lib to lib
for each libary.
Possably when thoses libs are placed into the proper directory then ldconfig
possably will create a symlink altho' i am not sure.

The libs in /usr/local i suspect you have installed yourself, i suggest you
read the README and INSTALL files for qt and gtk and pay attention to the
options for ./configure

I am always very careful when it comes to upgrading libs as "more often than
not" problems arise, sometimes to the point of rendering your system
unuseable because one missed a seemingly small point in one or another README.

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl

-