* My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 13:02 Brian
From: Brian @ 2002-07-11 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi:

Will try to make a long story short.

I had a 20 gig HD partitioned into 2 10 gig partitons both employing
reiserfs - it was employed as a samba fileserver for a few Windows boxes.
All the files were huge and written contiguously - not fragmented.

While doing a new install of Slackware 8.1 (stock Linux kernel 2.4.18) on
the samba fileserver I accidently formatted over one of the partitions with
ext3 (EXT3 2.4-0.9.17) - I didn't do surface integrity testing during the
format.

After I discovered my error, a quick scan of the raw disk showed the files
still resident although all the journals appeared overwritten.

I deleted the partition, rebooted and repartioned exactly as before. I have
run reiserfsck and rebuilt everything BUT when I try to mount the partition
"mount" insists it's still an empty ext3 filesystem.

How do I restore the reiserfs format without undoing all the rebuilding I
have done? (60 directories and 2500 files)

The partition remains unmounted and unused but I would love to get those
files back and also use of the partition.

The first partition and reiser filesystem (reiserfs version 3.6.25 with r5
hash) works perfectly.

Feel free to tell me what an idiot I am for making such a blunder as long as
you can offer some constructive advice.

Any hints/help much appreciated.

Best regards,

Brian
BSFH

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 13:05 ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2002-07-11 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

   Have you tried specifying explicit -t reiserfs parameter?

Bye,
    Oleg
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:02:35AM -0700, Brian wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Will try to make a long story short.
>
> I had a 20 gig HD partitioned into 2 10 gig partitons both employing
> reiserfs - it was employed as a samba fileserver for a few Windows boxes.
> All the files were huge and written contiguously - not fragmented.
>
> While doing a new install of Slackware 8.1 (stock Linux kernel 2.4.18) on
> the samba fileserver I accidently formatted over one of the partitions with
> ext3 (EXT3 2.4-0.9.17) - I didn't do surface integrity testing during the
> format.
>
> After I discovered my error, a quick scan of the raw disk showed the files
> still resident although all the journals appeared overwritten.
>
> I deleted the partition, rebooted and repartioned exactly as before. I have
> run reiserfsck and rebuilt everything BUT when I try to mount the partition
> "mount" insists it's still an empty ext3 filesystem.
>
> How do I restore the reiserfs format without undoing all the rebuilding I
> have done? (60 directories and 2500 files)
>
> The partition remains unmounted and unused but I would love to get those
> files back and also use of the partition.
>
> The first partition and reiser filesystem (reiserfs version 3.6.25 with r5
> hash) works perfectly.
>
> Feel free to tell me what an idiot I am for making such a blunder as long as
> you can offer some constructive advice.
>
> Any hints/help much appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Brian
> BSFH

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 13:21   ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2002-07-11 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hi Oleg:

>    Have you tried specifying explicit -t reiserfs parameter?

Yes.

It reports the usual "mount" errors for wrong filesystem mount parameters.

'mount -t auto /dev/hdc2 /arch" always mounts as an ext3 filesysstem.

I guess I can remake /dev/hdc2 as a reiserfs but I fear I would loose the
data completely and I do not have another partition large enough to save a
10gig raw dump of that partition.

Thanks,

Brian
BSFH

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 13:26     ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2002-07-11 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:21:59AM -0700, Brian wrote:

> >    Have you tried specifying explicit -t reiserfs parameter?
> Yes.
> It reports the usual "mount" errors for wrong filesystem mount parameters.

Hm.

> 'mount -t auto /dev/hdc2 /arch" always mounts as an ext3 filesysstem.

Ok, so you run reiserfsck (with what options?) and it told you what?
So that you decided everything was restored.
Have you rebooted after ratitioning scheme change?

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 13:35       ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2002-07-11 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hey:

> > >  Have you tried specifying explicit -t reiserfs
> > >  parameter?

> > Yes.

> > It reports the usual "mount" errors for wrong filesystem mount
> > parameters.

> Hm.

> > 'mount -t auto /dev/hdc2 /arch" always mounts as an ext3 filesysstem.

> Ok, so you run reiserfsck (with what options?) and it told you what?

First did --rebuild-sb then --rebuild-tree with -S
and --no-journal-available

Here is resiserfsck /dev/hdc2 messages:

Replaying journal..
No transactions found
Checking S+tree..ok
Comparing bitmaps..ok
Checking Semantic tree...
ok
No corruptions found
There are on the filesystem:
        Leaves 1443
        Internal nodes 11
        Directories 60
        Other files 2502
        Data block pointers 1227092 (zero of them 50825)
        Safe links 0
###########
reiserfsck finished at Thu Jul 11 06:32:23 2002
###########

I don't exactly know what all that means but it looks encouraging.

> So that you decided everything was restored.

Well - hoping perhaps.

> Have you rebooted after ratitioning scheme change?

Yup.

Appreciate the feedback - Thanks.

Brian
BSFH

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 13:39         ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2002-07-11 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 06:35:47AM -0700, Brian wrote:

> First did --rebuild-sb then --rebuild-tree with -S

--rebuild-sb asked you a question, what was your answer?

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 15:36           ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2002-07-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hey Oleg:

Brian wrote:
> > First did --rebuild-sb then --rebuild-tree with -S

> --rebuild-sb asked you a question, what was your answer?

Ah, do you mean about the size of the partition?

All I remember was taking the default numbers. I couldn't make any sense out
of the "size" question at all.

Wish I could remember more but was over the weekend when I tried to bring it
bacck.

Any ideas?

Brian
BSFH

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 16:47             ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2002-07-11 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 08:36:55AM -0700, Brian wrote:

> > > First did --rebuild-sb then --rebuild-tree with -S
> > --rebuild-sb asked you a question, what was your answer?
> Ah, do you mean about the size of the partition?

No, it was asking you about the superblock version.
And if you have answered incorrectly, this is bad.
Also what mount /dev/yourdevice /mnt -t reiserfs
produces in kernel logs?

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: My mistake....
@ 2002-07-11 18:50 ` Andreas Dilger
From: Andreas Dilger @ 2002-07-11 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian; +Cc: reiserfs-list

On Jul 11, 2002  06:02 -0700, Brian wrote:
> I deleted the partition, rebooted and repartioned exactly as before. I have
> run reiserfsck and rebuilt everything BUT when I try to mount the partition
> "mount" insists it's still an empty ext3 filesystem.

To overwrite the ext2/ext3 superblock:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/<whatever> bs=1k count=1 seek=1

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger

* Re: My mistake...
       [not found] ` <200207121942.41361.vitaly@namesys.com>
@ 2002-07-15 17:38   ` Brian
From: Brian @ 2002-07-15 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vitaly Fertman; +Cc: reiserfs-list

From: Brian @ 2002-07-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hey Oleg:

> No, it was asking you about the superblock version.
> And if you have answered incorrectly, this is bad.

Oh, right you are.

I selected the latest version because that was what the logfiles reported
during boot for the other identical partition.

> Also what mount /dev/yourdevice /mnt -t reiserfs
> produces in kernel logs?

Here is the consol error report,

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc2,
or too many mounted file systems

Here is what the syslog has to say,

Jul 11 10:39:20 bozo kernel: super-459: read_super_block: super found at
block 1
6 is within its own log. It must not be of this format type.
Jul 11 10:39:20 bozo kernel: read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs
filesystem
on (dev 16:02, block 8, size 1024)

It is all greek to me...

Any ideas?