* Re: Gui - Gnome - Kde
@ 2002-10-24  5:10   ` James Miller
From: James Miller @ 2002-10-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Gavin Laking wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:10:31 -0400
> "Paul Kraus" <pkraus@pelsupply.com> wrote:
>
> > What is kde like. I always just install gnome with Xwindows. I even
> > select Xwindows classic what is it and why are there two.
>
> KDE is another window manager for Linux. What Linux users tend to do
> when they are inquisitive about things, is to try it out, to experiment,
> and nothing is stopping you from doing so. If you are reluctant to
> installing KDE on a test machine, why not do a Google search for one of
> the thousands of KDE related websites- you'll find out more on those
> than we could ever imagine to cover here.

Or you could download and burn the Knoppix ISO, which is a really neat
(Debian based) distro that runs from CD - doesn't install anything but
will automagically recognize and use any Linux swap partition on your
machine. It has KDE (3.0) as the default (only?) desktop - plus a whole
lot of other neat utilities you can try. Highly recommended! Does a great
job of hardware PnP, too. Try it! You'll like it!

James

-

* Gui - Gnome - Kde
@ 2002-10-24 15:10 Paul Kraus
From: Paul Kraus @ 2002-10-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

What is kde like. I always just install gnome with Xwindows. I even
select Xwindows classic what is it and why are there two.

Paul Kraus
Network Administrator
PEL Supply Company
216.267.5775 Voice
216-267-6176 Fax
www.pelsupply.com

[-- Attachment #2: Paul Kraus (pkraus@pelsupply.com).vcf --]
[-- Type: text/x-vcard; name="Paul Kraus (pkraus@pelsupply.com).vcf", Size: 592 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Kraus;Paul
FN:Paul Kraus (pkraus@pelsupply.com)
ORG:PEL Supply Company
TITLE:Network Administrator
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(216) 267-5775
TEL;CELL;VOICE:(216) 410-5526
TEL;WORK;FAX:(216) 267-6176
ADR;WORK:;;4666 Manufacturing Road;Cleveland;Ohio;44135;United States of America
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:4666 Manufacturing Road=0D=0ACleveland, Ohio 44135=0D=0AUnited States of Ame=
rica
ADR;HOME:;;;;;;United States
LABEL;HOME:United States
URL;WORK:http://www.pelsupply.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:pkraus@pelsupply.com
REV:20020416T182124Z
END:VCARD

* Re: Gui - Gnome - Kde
@ 2002-10-24 15:48 ` Gavin Laking
From: Gavin Laking @ 2002-10-24 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Kraus; +Cc: linux-newbie

-

* Re: Gui - Gnome - Kde
@ 2002-10-24 18:18     ` Petre Bandac
From: Petre Bandac @ 2002-10-24 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

kde is "creme de la creme" (IMHO)

though I'm beginning to like enlightenment (which I use on my freebsd
machine), kde is amazing with its utilities (I cannot live without kdict,
kcalc is as easy to use as the calc from windows and kmail is the state of
the art in mail-client business [again, IMHO])

and it's very customizable

gnome is ok with me - though I used it to few times to make an opinion; I
began with kde and I stick to it

HTH,

petre

On Thursday 24 October 2002 08:10 Anno Domini, James Miller wrote using one of
his keyboards:

--
 21:12:55 up  2:25,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.13, 0.23

-

* Evolution!!! (was Re: Gui - Gnome - Kde)
@ 2002-10-25 13:21         ` Bryan Simmons
From: Bryan Simmons @ 2002-10-25 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cr; +Cc: linux-newbie

Decided to try my luck with evolution 1.1.2 this morning.
Downloaded the files from rpmfind.  It was a bitch to satisfy all the
deps.  But, well worth it.

evolution 1.0.8 is what I used to have.  And I thought that that one
rocked.  But this latest version is fantastic!!!  Many new features
added (mostly along the lines of configurability) and a lot of bugs
fixed.  All in all, I like it the best.  I tried Kmail but it seemed
limitted.  Kmail is to evolution what Outlook Express is to Outlook.

If you want the rpms, go to http://rpmfind.net and search for
evolution.  Then, try to install it with rpm but make sure you check for
dependancies.  When you get the list of deps you don't have (and, trust
me, there'll be a few) just print them and search rpmfind for them.  The
ones you'll want are the ones whose rpm filename have *.ximian.* in the
name.

Enjoy!!!

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 10:19, cr wrote:
> KDE is a bit too 'Windows-like' for my tastes.   Which is why I run Gnome,
> but with Kmail as my email client (haven't tried the latest Balsa, but last
> time I went looking Kmail was way ahead of any other that I could find).
> And Kppp.   And for a browser I use Opera, or sometimes Netscape, Mozilla,
> Galeon or Konqueror, depending how I feel at the time.
>
> And they all work pretty well together, even the clipboard works most of the
> time.
>
> I reckon that's a big credit to the application writers.
>
> I do that when I log in as me.    When I log in as Root, I use KDE.   Why?
> Because I can   ;)     If you happen to have loaded the necessary files at
> install time, and if you have the Desktop switching tool installed, it's dead
> easy to change between KDE and Gnome  (though you might want to set up
> another 'user' and try it under his login, in case something screws up).
>
> I'm running RH7.2,  if (as has been stated) RH8 doesn't have a wide choice of
> window managers, then I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
>
> cr

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs
--
Bryan Simmons <bsimmo1@gl.umbc.edu>

-