* X-management choice
@ 2002-12-23  0:00 Heimo Claasen
From: Heimo Claasen @ 2002-12-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.a./CC

I examined the various threads on X window management on the list lately
but could not find and answer on what I'm looking for:

I would like to have a regular choice for starting up X either with
a kind of barebones xterm only, or a more comfortable GUI
("environment") like KDE/Gnome. That is, I want to have a selection
possible with/in "startx" for which of two setups to use for starting X.

I'm not yet there to write bash batches (and wonder if I ever would
get there); but would probably cope with eventual editing of existing
ones. (Installation is Mdk., i.e. rather identical to RH in respect to
the X arrangements.)

REM: X itself ("bare", no whatsoever window manager and thus no means
to do anything with it, always installed well here, even with somewhat
tricky hardware conditions regarding the video card and highres monitor.)

// Heimo Claasen // <hammer at revobild dot net> // Brussels 2002-12-22
The WebPlace of ReRead - and much to read  ==>  http://www.revobild.net

-

* Re: X-management choice
@ 2002-12-23  1:37 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2002-12-23  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.a./CC

Well .. to start with, are you aware that "startx" itself is just a shell
script, one that usually acts as a from end to xinit, first setting up some
values for config files. Were I to face your problem, I would probably just
make a copy of startx ... called startx2 or startx-minimal or whatever ...
and have it use different config files to set up the default applications
(including a window manager) to run.

I imagine I'd use the distro's setup help to get the Gnome or KDE version
working as startx, then do the minimalist one by hand. Or I'd set up the
minimalist one first, cp the config files to different names, then
"upgrade" to the Gnome or KDE one.

Sorry to be so vague, but from your message, it is hard to know how much
you already know about X. If you need more specific advice, please ask for it.

@ 2002-12-24  1:45 ` Peter
From: Peter @ 2002-12-24  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heimo Claasen; +Cc: linux-newbie

Try from the console:

startx /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm

Then in xterm you can open anything you want. You want kde, type, startkde&.

You want a bigger xterm use the -geometry flag.

Regards
--
Peter

-

* Re: X-management choice
@ 2002-12-26  0:00 Heimo Claasen
From: Heimo Claasen @ 2002-12-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

What Peter wrote,

> startx /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
> Then in xterm you can open anything you want. You want kde, type, startkde&.

which is rather similar to what I found out by trial (and a lot of errors).
I'm just using
---:#> xinit
as this is enough to start the X server and it opens one xterm.
From there, it's just to launch an application or in addition some
(elementary) window manager (like "twm") to be able to at least move
(though not yet resize) the windows opened by some app.

BTW, Lawson - Ray would get a bit picky as it isn't ".Xinit" either, ;,)

// Heimo Claasen // <hammer at revobild dot net> // Brussels 2002-12-25