* Regarding XFBB Nightmares!
@ 2003-03-19 17:20 Bill Walton
From: Bill Walton @ 2003-03-19 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Tomi and Dennis -

Thank you both for your response to my XFBB woes.  As you said, it would
be nice if Jean
Paul would update his FTP site.  It would also be nice to have some
"index.txt" files as that
would clear up allot of confusion for those of us whom are NEW to XFBB.
 I did download
the RPM that Dennis mentioned.  I tested it before I attempted to
install it ie: "rpm -i --test"
and it failed the dependency "libc.so.5".  I am running RedHat 7.2 with
a 2.4.20 kernel and
"libc.so.6".

What would be the easiest way to get around this dependency problem?

Your expert advice and help is always appreciated!

Regards,

Bill KJ6EO

* Re: Regarding XFBB Nightmares!
@ 2003-03-19 22:59 ` Shane Deering
From: Shane Deering @ 2003-03-19 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:20, Bill Walton wrote:

> install it ie: "rpm -i --test"
> and it failed the dependency "libc.so.5".  I am running RedHat 7.2 with
> a 2.4.20 kernel and
> "libc.so.6".
>
> What would be the easiest way to get around this dependency problem?

Install it. I found libc-5.3.12-31.i386.rpm sitting on my Redhat box and guess
that's what I used when told by the fbb RPM that it was needed. I can't
remember if there was a trick involved, but I did manage to get it working.

The following is taken from the description in that RPM.
"Older Linux systems (including all Red Hat Linux releases between 2.0 and
4.2, inclusive) were based on libc version 5. The libc package includes the
libc5 libraries and other libraries based on libc5. With these libraries
installed, old applications which need them will be able to run on your glibc
(libc version 6) based system. The libc package should be installed so that
you can run older applications which need libc version 5."

--
Shane Deering                   Sent using Kmail v1.4.3
vk3bvp@qsl.net                  on Mandrake Linux, the Desktop OS

* Re: Regarding XFBB Nightmares!
@ 2003-03-20 10:11 ` Wilbert Knol
From: Wilbert Knol @ 2003-03-20 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  I did download
> the RPM that Dennis mentioned.  I tested it before I attempted to
> install it ie: "rpm -i --test"
> and it failed the dependency "libc.so.5".  I am running RedHat 7.2 with
> a 2.4.20 kernel and
> "libc.so.6".
>
> What would be the easiest way to get around this dependency problem?

Toss those RPMs && compile from sources, against libc.so.6

Wilbert, ZL2BSJ

* Re: Regarding XFBB Nightmares!
@ 2003-03-20 17:28   ` Tomi Manninen
From: Tomi Manninen @ 2003-03-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Wilbert Knol wrote:

> > What would be the easiest way to get around this dependency problem?
>
> Toss those RPMs && compile from sources, against libc.so.6

RPMs, if made properly, are _very_ handy things. Unfortunately the FBB RPM
doesn't seem to be very well made. It seems to contain stuff that should
not be there (not part of the FBB distribution), some of it is linked
against libc5, some against glibc. Also there is at least one script that
clashes with LPRng on my RH8 box.

Does anyone have a pointer to a good .spec file or *source* RPM for FBB ?

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  oh2bns@sral.fi
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     oh2bns@oh2rbi.fin.eu