* modem help needed
@ 2003-03-21  9:10 Manish Kumar Arya
From: Manish Kumar Arya @ 2003-03-21  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial

hi
   i m writing a program to read data of an in comming
phone call using modem
   till now i m able to get "RING" in my read buffer
when an incomming call comes.
    after this i tried two answer the call by two ways
1) ATA\r
2) setting ATS0=3 (3 rings) register

but after answering the calls i dont get any data on
serial port.
   is it really not possible to read data from normal
phone calls or i m doin some mistake.
i just want to read raw data from incomming calls not
in some voice format.

help!

-Manish Kumar Arya
www.LinuxIndia.net

http://platinum.yahoo.com

* Re: modem help needed
@ 2003-03-21 20:11 ` whitnl73
From: whitnl73 @ 2003-03-21 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manish_ipx; +Cc: linux-serial

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Manish Kumar Arya wrote:

> hi
>    i m writing a program to read data of an in comming
> phone call using modem
>    till now i m able to get "RING" in my read buffer
> when an incomming call comes.
>     after this i tried two answer the call by two ways
> 1) ATA\r
> 2) setting ATS0=3 (3 rings) register
>
> but after answering the calls i dont get any data on
> serial port.
>    is it really not possible to read data from normal
> phone calls or i m doin some mistake.

By "normal phone calls", do you mean voice?  If you do,
no, it isn't.  Dependig on your modem, there might be a command
to make the thing answer in voice mode, but ATA is not going to do it.
After a normal modem answers a call, it tries to negotiate a data
connection with a remote modem, then if it is successful (I think) sends
the report CONNECTED to the serial port.  If not, it sends NO CARRIER
and hangs up.

t > i just want to read raw data from incomming calls not
> in some voice format.
>
> help!
>
> -Manish Kumar Arya
> www.LinuxIndia.net

Lawson
--
---oops---

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

* Re: modem help needed
@ 2003-03-22 17:29   ` Manish Kumar Arya
From: Manish Kumar Arya @ 2003-03-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial

hi
   this is my second mail regarding modem problem.
i have made lil progress in this
  Lawson told me that i should recive "CONNECT" from
remote system(modem/fax machine).I did tested my
program by dialing to ISP and got "CONNECT" and there
after "Login" and then "Password". its worked with Fax
machine too, I was able to get "CONNECT" from fax
machine.
   but i m still not able to find way to communicate
with normal phone calls (voice calls).
   i have found a set of voice commands on net.

as per this doc i did set modem to voice mode

AT+FCLASS=8
AT+VSD=128,100
AT+VGT=128
AT+VGR=128
AT+VRA=100
AT+VRN=10
AT+VCID=1
AT+VNH=0
AT+VIT=0
AT+VDR=1
AT+VSM=141,8000
AT+VLS=1
then at last i dialed to a voice phone no.
ATDT238470
and got "OK" reply from modem
still wondering what to do next to start reading data
on phone line

pls help

here is some part of that doc
The AT Voice Command Set

AT+FCLASS=8  Enter voice mode
AT+VIP  Initialise voice parameters
AT+VCID  Caller ID
AT+VDR  Distinctive ring
AT+VGT  Speaker volume control
AT+FMI?  Report manufacturer ID
AT+FMM?  Report product model information
AT+FMR?  Report product revision level
AT+VIT  DTE/DCE inactivity timer
AT+VNH  Automatic hang-up control
AT+VTD  Set beep tone duration timer
AT+VLS  Analog source/destination selection and
DTMF/tone reporting
AT+VSD  Set silence detection timer
AT+VRA  Set ringback goes away timer
AT+VRN  Set ringback never came timer
AT+VTS  DTMF/tone generation
AT+VTX  Enter voice transmit state
AT+VRX  Enter voice receive state
AT+VSM  Voice compression method
AT+VEM  Event reporting and masking
AT+VGR  Receive gain selection

-Manish Arya
www.LinuxIndia.net

http://platinum.yahoo.com

* Re: modem help needed
@ 2003-03-23 15:59     ` Manish Kumar Arya
From: Manish Kumar Arya @ 2003-03-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial

hi
   how can i detect DTMF codes on modem comming from
incomming phone call ?

-Manish

http://platinum.yahoo.com

* Re: modem help needed
@ 2003-03-23 23:44     ` whitnl73
From: whitnl73 @ 2003-03-23 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: manish_ipx; +Cc: linux-serial

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Manish Kumar Arya wrote:

> hi
>    this is my second mail regarding modem problem.
> i have made lil progress in this
>   Lawson told me that i should recive "CONNECT" from
> remote system(modem/fax machine).I did tested my
> program by dialing to ISP and got "CONNECT" and there
> after "Login" and then "Password". its worked with Fax
> machine too, I was able to get "CONNECT" from fax
> machine.
>    but i m still not able to find way to communicate
> with normal phone calls (voice calls).
>    i have found a set of voice commands on net.
>
> as per this doc i did set modem to voice mode
>
> AT+FCLASS=8
> AT+VSD=128,100
> AT+VGT=128
> AT+VGR=128
> AT+VRA=100
> AT+VRN=10
> AT+VCID=1
> AT+VNH=0
> AT+VIT=0
> AT+VDR=1
> AT+VSM=141,8000
> AT+VLS=1
> then at last i dialed to a voice phone no.
> ATDT238470
> and got "OK" reply from modem
> still wondering what to do next to start reading data
> on phone line
>
> pls help
>
> here is some part of that doc
> The AT Voice Command Set
>
> AT+FCLASS=8  Enter voice mode
> AT+VIP  Initialise voice parameters
> AT+VCID  Caller ID
> AT+VDR  Distinctive ring
> AT+VGT  Speaker volume control
> AT+FMI?  Report manufacturer ID
> AT+FMM?  Report product model information
> AT+FMR?  Report product revision level
> AT+VIT  DTE/DCE inactivity timer
> AT+VNH  Automatic hang-up control
> AT+VTD  Set beep tone duration timer
> AT+VLS  Analog source/destination selection and
> DTMF/tone reporting

IIRC these voice modems have a speaker/headphone jack and a microphone
jack.  I think maybe you only get something on the serial port if
somebody at the other end dials something, and maybe the only way to get
voice data out of the thing is to cross-connect it with a sound card.
Please excuse this wild guess, but that is what the command above
suggests to me.

OTOH Mandrake carries an mgetty-voice package uou might want to look at.
if you install that you can see what commands it uses with FI

strings /usr/bin/vm |gtrp 'AT+V'

> AT+VSD  Set silence detection timer
> AT+VRA  Set ringback goes away timer
> AT+VRN  Set ringback never came timer
> AT+VTS  DTMF/tone generation
> AT+VTX  Enter voice transmit state
> AT+VRX  Enter voice receive state
> AT+VSM  Voice compression method
> AT+VEM  Event reporting and masking
> AT+VGR  Receive gain selection
>
> -Manish Arya
> www.LinuxIndia.net

Lawson
--
---oops---

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

* Re: modem help needed
@ 2003-03-24  4:03       ` rich+ml
From: rich+ml @ 2003-03-24  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish Kumar Arya; +Cc: linux-serial

If you can't do something like AT>DTN1 then life becomes very difficult:
change VSM to 128,4800 and use AT+VRX to start reciving 4800 8-bit samples
per second. Note that's 38400 bits per second but your baud rate needs to
be at least 25% faster to accomodate start and stop bits. Push the data
through the 'goertzel algorithm' to detect the dtmf tones. The trick is to
ensure enough burst mips often enough to avoid falling behind the data,
else you get massive distortion and miss tones (or less likely false
positive).