* perl under eldk for ppc8xx
@ 2003-05-20 16:06 XOL
From: XOL @ 2003-05-20 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Hello.
I found out that eldk 2.1.0 whic I'm using has no perl.
Does anybody succeded to build perl for ppc8xx?
Can you give please some details. Probably you have binaries/rpm
Thank you. Xol.

* Re: perl under eldk for ppc8xx
@ 2003-05-20 16:13 ` Mark Hatle
From: Mark Hatle @ 2003-05-20 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XOL; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

If you are going to be building perl, you really need to do it "self-hosted",
unless you are prepared to do significant modification to the perl build system.
  Perl insists on being self-hosted compiled, it generates dynamic signal lists
and other structures based on the machine performing the compile, obviously that
doesn't work right in a cross compile situation.

--Mark

XOL wrote:
> Hello.
> I found out that eldk 2.1.0 whic I'm using has no perl.
> Does anybody succeded to build perl for ppc8xx?
> Can you give please some details. Probably you have binaries/rpm
> Thank you. Xol.

* Re[2]: perl under eldk for ppc8xx
@ 2003-05-20 16:23   ` XOL
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: XOL @ 2003-05-20 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hatle; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hi.
I just made my first attempt to build perl 5_005_03.
I'm runnig linux 2.4.18 on MPC862 at 100MHz with 64M ram.
My filesystem is nfs mounted.
While running ./Configure I got nice core dump
saying something about lack of the memory.
So my next quiestion is
1. Does anyone has binaries or rpm?
2. Did someone build perl before on same system?

> If you are going to be building perl, you really need to do it "self-hosted",
> unless you are prepared to do significant modification to the perl build system.
>   Perl insists on being self-hosted compiled, it generates dynamic signal lists
> and other structures based on the machine performing the compile, obviously that
> doesn't work right in a cross compile situation.
>
> --Mark
>
> XOL wrote:
> > Hello.
> > I found out that eldk 2.1.0 whic I'm using has no perl.
> > Does anybody succeded to build perl for ppc8xx?
> > Can you give please some details. Probably you have binaries/rpm
> > Thank you. Xol.

* Re: perl under eldk for ppc8xx
@ 2003-05-20 16:42     ` Mark Hatle
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Hatle @ 2003-05-20 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XOL; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

If you can complete the configure step on the MPC862, then you should be able to
cross compile the rest.  You may have to play some games w/ swap to complete the
configure.  (For instance, enable swap over NFS or on a compact flash device..
just be aware swap is a quick way to burn out a CF card..)

--Mark

XOL wrote:
> Hi.
> I just made my first attempt to build perl 5_005_03.
> I'm runnig linux 2.4.18 on MPC862 at 100MHz with 64M ram.
> My filesystem is nfs mounted.
> While running ./Configure I got nice core dump
> saying something about lack of the memory.
> So my next quiestion is
> 1. Does anyone has binaries or rpm?
> 2. Did someone build perl before on same system?

* Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)
@ 2003-05-20 17:25     ` dong in kang
From: dong in kang @ 2003-05-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

 Hello,
 I'm trying to boot Montavista Linux kernel on Sandpoint X3 with Altimus
MPC755 CPU without bootloader and without using DINK32.
(I'm using BDI2000 with Metrowerks Codewarrior v.6.0).
I could read/write SDRAM before manually loading zImange.initrd.
However, I don't know how to setup kernel parameters and command lines.
What information should I put for kernel parameters? and where?

 Thanks,

 Dong-In

> If you are going to be building perl, you really need to do it
> "self-hosted", unless you are prepared to do significant modification to
the perl build system.
>   Perl insists on being self-hosted compiled, it generates dynamic
> signal lists and other structures based on the machine performing the
> compile, obviously that doesn't work right in a cross compile
> situation.
>
> --Mark
>
> XOL wrote:
> > Hello.
> > I found out that eldk 2.1.0 whic I'm using has no perl. Does anybody
> > succeded to build perl for ppc8xx? Can you give please some details.
> > Probably you have binaries/rpm Thank you. Xol.

* Re: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)
@ 2003-05-20 17:37       ` Mark A. Greer
From: Mark A. Greer @ 2003-05-20 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dong in kang; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

dong in kang wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to boot Montavista Linux kernel on Sandpoint X3 with Altimus
>MPC755 CPU without bootloader and without using DINK32.
>(I'm using BDI2000 with Metrowerks Codewarrior v.6.0).

What do you mean when you say, "I'm using BDI2000 with Metrowerks
Codewarrior v.6.0"?

>I could read/write SDRAM before manually loading zImange.initrd.
>However, I don't know how to setup kernel parameters and command lines.
>What information should I put for kernel parameters? and where?

You shouldn't need any cmdline arguments unless you're doing something
special.  If you are, look in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for
more info.

Mark

* RE: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)
@ 2003-05-20 17:56         ` dong in kang
From: dong in kang @ 2003-05-20 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark A. Greer'; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

 As a debugging tool, I'm using Metrowerks Codewarrior v.6.0 running on
Windows 2000 platform.
The BDI2000 for Codewarrior is connected to the JTAG port of the Sandpoint
X3.
I used the Codewarrior to load the linux kernel to the SDRAM of the
Sandpoint X3.
Of course, I used GCC to compile Montavista Linux kernel.
(I heard that BDIgdb is the best tool for Linux kernel debugging.
I'm considering purchasing BDIgdb. Currently, I have a problem of enabling
mmu.
After the initial boot part of the Linux finishes setting up BATs and
enables the mmu,
the address translation is not done properly. So, when the kernel jumps to
0xC0000000, it jumps to physical address 0xC0000000.
It crashes there. I suspect BDI2000 with Codewarrior does not support mmu.

 Dong-In

@ 2003-05-20 18:14           ` Mark A. Greer
From: Mark A. Greer @ 2003-05-20 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dong in kang; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

dong in kang wrote:

> As a debugging tool, I'm using Metrowerks Codewarrior v.6.0 running on
>Windows 2000 platform.
>The BDI2000 for Codewarrior is connected to the JTAG port of the Sandpoint
>X3.
>I used the Codewarrior to load the linux kernel to the SDRAM of the
>Sandpoint X3.
>Of course, I used GCC to compile Montavista Linux kernel.
>(I heard that BDIgdb is the best tool for Linux kernel debugging.
>I'm considering purchasing BDIgdb.

Okay, that helps...I think.  I still don't know what "BDI2000 for
codewarrior" means/is but anyway...

For right now, I recommend just using the telnet interface to the bdi.
Its simple and works.  You can download the zImage thru that interface
(and tftp).  The bdi manual has a page with all the cmds on it.  Also,
while using the telnet interface, use only hard breakpoints (which means
you can only have one set at a time).

> Currently, I have a problem of enabling
>mmu.
>After the initial boot part of the Linux finishes setting up BATs and
>enables the mmu,
>the address translation is not done properly. So, when the kernel jumps to
>0xC0000000, it jumps to physical address 0xC0000000.
>It crashes there. I suspect BDI2000 with Codewarrior does not support mmu.

You shouldn't be having problems like that.  Are you sure you used a
valid .config when you built the kernel?  What address did you download
the zImage to?  Did you try building/running the non-initrd image
(zImage.sandpoint)?

Mark

* Re: Re[2]: perl under eldk for ppc8xx
@ 2003-05-20 19:23     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-05-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XOL; +Cc: Mark Hatle, linuxppc-embedded

Hi,

in message <E19I9tm-000Cq6-00.xol-mail-ru@f16.mail.ru> you wrote:

> I just made my first attempt to build perl 5_005_03.
> I'm runnig linux 2.4.18 on MPC862 at 100MHz with 64M ram.
> My filesystem is nfs mounted.
> While running ./Configure I got nice core dump
> saying something about lack of the memory.

:-(

> So my next quiestion is
> 1. Does anyone has binaries or rpm?

Not yet...

> 2. Did someone build perl before on same system?

Not yet...

...but wait a moment. I just started a native build  on  a  8xx  box.
Let's see what happens...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
Another megabytes the dust.

* RE: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)
@ 2003-05-20 19:26             ` dong in kang
From: dong in kang @ 2003-05-20 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark A. Greer'; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

 It turns out that BDI has a few different versions.
BDI for Codewarrior, BDI for GDB, etc.
I just heard from Codewarrior that BDI for Codewarrior doesn't support MMU,
which means address translation is not supported.
I have to buy BDI for GDB.

 About your question, I downloaded the zImage.initrd at 0x800000.
I didn't turn on the default command line. Now I turn on the default command
line as
 CONFIG_CMDLINE="mem=128M ramdisk_size=20480 console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
root=/dev/ram init=/bin/sh"
The Sandpoint X3 has 128M ram and my ramdisk size is 20M.
It should be right, isn't it?

 Dong-In

@ 2003-05-20 19:35               ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-05-20 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dong in kang; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Dear Dong In Kang,

in message <001a01c31f05$c656f130$45a97241@Minjoo> you wrote:

>  It turns out that BDI has a few different versions.
> BDI for Codewarrior, BDI for GDB, etc.
> I just heard from Codewarrior that BDI for Codewarrior doesn't support MMU,
> which means address translation is not supported.
> I have to buy BDI for GDB.

Note that you don't have to buy a new BDI2000, just  a  new  firmware
(bdiGDB) for it.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

* Re: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)
@ 2003-05-20 22:45               ` Mark A. Greer
From: Mark A. Greer @ 2003-05-20 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dong in kang; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

dong in kang wrote:

> It turns out that BDI has a few different versions.
>BDI for Codewarrior, BDI for GDB, etc.
>I just heard from Codewarrior that BDI for Codewarrior doesn't support MMU,
>which means address translation is not supported.
>I have to buy BDI for GDB.

Ah, okay.

> About your question, I downloaded the zImage.initrd at 0x800000.
>I didn't turn on the default command line. Now I turn on the default command
>line as
> CONFIG_CMDLINE="mem=128M ramdisk_size=20480 console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0
>root=/dev/ram init=/bin/sh"
>The Sandpoint X3 has 128M ram and my ramdisk size is 20M.
>It should be right, isn't it?

Nope.  Unless you have a new version of DINK that is fixed, it doesn't
set up the memory controller correctly for the RAM above 32MB.  There
should be comments indicating this in
arch/ppc/platforms/sandpoint_setup.c:sandpoint_find_end_of_memory() or
some such (since I don't know what version of MVL you're running).

Try it again with only this on your cmdline: "mem=32M" and see if that
helps.

Mark

* Re: Re[2]: perl under eldk for ppc8xx
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-05-21 17:26     ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2003-05-21 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XOL; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Hello,

in message <E19I9tm-000Cq6-00.xol-mail-ru@f16.mail.ru> you wrote:

> I just made my first attempt to build perl 5_005_03.
> I'm runnig linux 2.4.18 on MPC862 at 100MHz with 64M ram.
> My filesystem is nfs mounted.
> While running ./Configure I got nice core dump
> saying something about lack of the memory.
> So my next quiestion is
> 1. Does anyone has binaries or rpm?
> 2. Did someone build perl before on same system?

I have put a tarball with ppc_8xx binaries with perl-5.8.0 (built  on
a native MPC8xx system under ELDK-2.1.0) at
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/tmp/perl-5.8.0-ppc_8xx.tar.bz2

[FYI: I've built it on a TQM860L board with 64 MB  RAM  and  a  4  GB
harddisk on a PCMCIA adapter; the "make" took exactly 3 hours...]

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd@denx.de
How come everyone's going so slow if it's called rush hour?

* RE: Kernel parameters (Sandpoint X3 with Altimus MPC755)
@ 2003-06-10 18:22                 ` dong in kang
From: dong in kang @ 2003-06-10 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mark A. Greer'; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

 Hello,

 Thank you for your reply to my questions.

 I'm still working on running Linux on Sandpoint. But it still doesn't work.
;( It seems to have problem within sandpoint_setup_winbond_83553(hose).
Right after "Enalbe RTC and Keyboard" using early_write_config_byte() call,
the memory area in 0xFFF00100 is not properly read. It is read all 0xFFs.
Other SDRAM area is read properly, though.
And the kernel can still run up to time_init() routine but never runs
farther than that.

 I'm using MVL version "linux-2.4.17_mvl21".
I changed the sandpoint_find_end_of_memory() to return 128M as is shown
below. The kernel parameter is changed to tell the memory size. I don't use
DINK, but I setup the memory controller at the BDI configuration file such
that 128M bytes is mapped onto bank 0. After the configuraion file is run, I
can read/write all memory area. (I didn't set any PCI related stuff.) Should
I add more kernel parameters or setup some data structures before I call the
zImage.sandpoint.initrd?

 static ulong __init
sandpoint_find_end_of_memory(void)
{
        ulong   size = 0;

#if 0   /* Leave out until DINK sets mem ctlr correctly */
        size = mpc10x_get_mem_size(MPC10X_MEM_MAP_B);
#else
//      size = 32*1024*1024;
        size = 128*1024*1024;   // by DKANG
#endif

        return size;
}

 Thanks,

 Dong-In

> It turns out that BDI has a few different versions.
>BDI for Codewarrior, BDI for GDB, etc.
>I just heard from Codewarrior that BDI for Codewarrior doesn't support
>MMU, which means address translation is not supported. I have to buy
>BDI for GDB.

Ah, okay.