* Re: help with script
@ 2001-07-19 13:31 ` Win Toe ( Penguin Millennium )
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Win Toe ( Penguin Millennium ) @ 2001-07-19 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pacho baratta, linux-admin

At 08:56 AM 6/9/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>i have a txt file with a list of username one by line, say:
>user1
>user2
>user3
>

>i'd like to avoid to insert all these users by hand (about 1000 users)
>so i build a script to add users, make dirs and something useful to me
>
>my goal is to get a way to process txt file and send all users, one by
>one, to my script.
>
>cat txtfile | ./script
>
>is processing only the 1st user, not the others.
>
>any idea to automatize this process?
>tnx, pacho

while loop, $1 and shift can also do it.
here is a sample scripts

let us say u user list are in a file called, users. The following will be
mail to all users in the list. Save this script, let us says, myscript.

while [ $1 ]
do
	mail `cat users`
	shift
done

If I want to use the above scripts to send mail to all users in the file,

./myscripts `cat users`

pls replace the mail command name with your own scripts name
Note:- You must use `cat users` with backquote ( not single quote )

* help with script
@ 2003-06-09  6:56 pacho baratta
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: pacho baratta @ 2003-06-09  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

i have a txt file with a list of username one by line, say:
user1
user2
user3

i'd like to avoid to insert all these users by hand (about 1000 users)
so i build a script to add users, make dirs and something useful to me

my goal is to get a way to process txt file and send all users, one by
one, to my script.

cat txtfile | ./script

is processing only the 1st user, not the others.

any idea to automatize this process?
tnx, pacho

* Re: help with script
@ 2003-06-09  9:47 ` Carl
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Carl @ 2003-06-09  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pacho baratta, linux-admin

At 08:56 09/06/2003 +0200, pacho baratta wrote:

>i have a txt file with a list of username one by line, say:
>user1
>user2
>user3
>

>i'd like to avoid to insert all these users by hand (about 1000 users)
>so i build a script to add users, make dirs and something useful to me
>
>my goal is to get a way to process txt file and send all users, one by
>one, to my script.
>
>cat txtfile | ./script
>
>is processing only the 1st user, not the others.
>
>any idea to automatize this process?
>tnx, pacho

Try:

for i in `cat txtfile`
do
    ./script $i
done

--
Carl

* Re: help with script
@ 2003-06-09 12:58 ` Glynn Clements
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Glynn Clements @ 2003-06-09 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pacho baratta; +Cc: linux-admin

pacho baratta wrote:

> i have a txt file with a list of username one by line, say:
> user1
> user2
> user3
>

> i'd like to avoid to insert all these users by hand (about 1000 users)
> so i build a script to add users, make dirs and something useful to me
>
> my goal is to get a way to process txt file and send all users, one by
> one, to my script.
>
> cat txtfile | ./script
>
> is processing only the 1st user, not the others.
>
> any idea to automatize this process?

while read user ; do echo $user | ./script ; done < txtfile

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>

* Re: help with script
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-09 13:03 ` Tim Walberg
From: Tim Walberg @ 2003-06-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pacho baratta; +Cc: linux-admin

cat txtfile | xargs -n1 ./script

On 06/09/2003 08:56 +0200, pacho baratta wrote:

>>	i have a txt file with a list of username one by line, say:
>>	user1
>>	user2
>>	user3
>>

>>	i'd like to avoid to insert all these users by hand (about 1000 users)
>>	so i build a script to add users, make dirs and something useful to me
>>
>>	my goal is to get a way to process txt file and send all users, one by
>>	one, to my script.
>>
>>	cat txtfile | ./script
>>
>>	is processing only the 1st user, not the others.
>>
>>	any idea to automatize this process?
>>	tnx, pacho
>>
>>	-
>>	To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-admin" in
>>	the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
>>	More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
End of included message

--
+--------------------------+------------------------------+
| Tim Walberg              | twalberg@mindspring.com      |

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 174 bytes --]

* Re: help with script
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-10 19:58 ` Stephen Samuel
From: Stephen Samuel @ 2003-06-10 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pacho baratta; +Cc: linux-admin

pacho baratta wrote:
> i have a txt file with a list of username one by line, say:
> user1
> user2
> user3
>
> i'd like to avoid to insert all these users by hand (about 1000 users)
> so i build a script to add users, make dirs and something useful to me
>
> my goal is to get a way to process txt file and send all users, one by
> one, to my script.
>
> cat txtfile | ./script
>
> is processing only the 1st user, not the others.
>
> any idea to automatize this process?
> tnx, pacho

while read user ; do
	useradd -m $user
	do_whatever_else $user
done

This presumes that this is a script you execute as `script < txtfile`
If you were doing it as a one-liner, then the last line would be
`done < txtfile`

Note that the < textfile would have to be after the done construct on
the while loop.  if you did:  `while read user < txtfile`, the read
command would open txtfile, and read the first line .... over and over
and over again  (is this what you're seeing?)

`useradd -m $user` should create the user and their home directory --
normally, in /home/$user , but you can change that with
`useradd -m  -d /some/path/$user $user `

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/

* Re: help with script
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-10 23:37 ` pacho baratta
From: pacho baratta @ 2003-06-10 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

welle i did use something suggested by César Soler:
while read uid
do  ./myscript $uid
done

tnx anybody for hints,