* a question and pmtest
@ 2003-06-09 17:50 Jonathan Steinert
       [not found] ` <3EE4C8F5.7070302-rIxVFxJalAJeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonathan Steinert @ 2003-06-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

My main problem is that my dell inspiron 8200 w/ Nvidia GF4 go will not
turn the LCD back on after it is turned off (either by LID event, or by
a sleep state). I asked about this on the support list and they tried to
blame it on XFree86, but I'm not running X (yet). So the first question
is, how can would one debug this without pmtest or how can I fix pmtest?

I saw a post earlier on the list saying that pmtest in the pmtools
package is orphaned right now, and that it won't compile. However it
seems to compile just fine with gcc-3.0 and 3.2, does this indicate a
compiler bug? I've recompiled my entire kernel with both 3.0 and 3.2
with no sideffects, but I need pmtest to try to fix the aformentioned
problem.

Sadly, even though it compiles... when I try to insmod it I get the
following message:

Error inserting 'pmtest.o': -1 Invalid module format

and this message shows up in my syslog:

No module found in object

I've added the MODULE_AUTHOR/DESCRIPTION/LICENSE functions to the file
before compilation, but am unknowing as to what else is missing. Does
anyone have any time to shed any light on this problem? I've never done
any kernel programming before, but am willing to learn if necessary.

Thanks much for your time.

--hachi

Kernel 2.5.69 and 2.5.70, both with patched DSDT. All ACPI components
built-in to the kernel. Currently running 2.5.70 compiled under gcc-3.2,
no framebuffer, no x, acpid 1.0.2, email me for more if needed.

* Re: a question and pmtest
       [not found] ` <3EE4C8F5.7070302-rIxVFxJalAJeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-06-09 18:15   ` Randy.Dunlap
       [not found]     ` <20030609111529.0a26dc32.rddunlap-3NddpPZAyC0@public.gmane.org>
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-06-09 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Steinert; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:50:45 -0500 Jonathan Steinert <hachi-rIxVFxJalAJeoWH0uzbU5w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

| My main problem is that my dell inspiron 8200 w/ Nvidia GF4 go will not
| turn the LCD back on after it is turned off (either by LID event, or by
| a sleep state). I asked about this on the support list and they tried to
| blame it on XFree86, but I'm not running X (yet). So the first question
| is, how can would one debug this without pmtest or how can I fix pmtest?
|
| I saw a post earlier on the list saying that pmtest in the pmtools
| package is orphaned right now, and that it won't compile. However it
| seems to compile just fine with gcc-3.0 and 3.2, does this indicate a
| compiler bug? I've recompiled my entire kernel with both 3.0 and 3.2
| with no sideffects, but I need pmtest to try to fix the aformentioned
| problem.
|
| Sadly, even though it compiles... when I try to insmod it I get the
| following message:
|
| Error inserting 'pmtest.o': -1 Invalid module format

You are using the 2.5 module tools (utils), right?
How about trying 'insmod pmtest.ko' ?
or is it not even building a (correct) 2.5 module?

I don't know the status of pmtest.  Anyone else?

--
~Randy

* Re: a question and pmtest
       [not found]     ` <20030609111529.0a26dc32.rddunlap-3NddpPZAyC0@public.gmane.org>