* Fixing corrupt reiserfs partition when it registers as full
@ 2003-06-04 22:14 Brian G. Olson
From: Brian G. Olson @ 2003-06-04 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Okay, I've got a reiserfs partition that went bad. I'm don't know how,
but for some reason the partition became completely full.  Showing up as
100% full using df -h. However checking all the files on the partition
(using du -shc) it should have been a little more than half full (2.4G
partition), just as I remember df -h showing the last time I checked. So
I unmounted it, and checked with reiserfsck --check.  Sure enough, it
said I had a problem and told me to do use --rebuild-tree.  Okay, I do
that and pass 1 completes. Then on pass 2 it says it wants to add a
bunch of leaves (on the order of 10,000 leaves), but of course the
partition registers as full so it fails. That is where I am currently
stuck. I can't even mount it anymore, mount says it's 'not a directory'.

I'm currently using reiserfsck version 3.6.6 from the Knoppix v3.2 cd.
Now I'm gonna try to find a newer version to use, but in the mean time,
if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Brian

* Re: Fixing corrupt reiserfs partition when it registers as full
@ 2003-06-05  7:34 ` Yury Umanets
From: Yury Umanets @ 2003-06-05  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian G. Olson; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Brian G. Olson wrote:

>Okay, I've got a reiserfs partition that went bad. I'm don't know how,
>but for some reason the partition became completely full.  Showing up as
>100% full using df -h. However checking all the files on the partition
>(using du -shc) it should have been a little more than half full (2.4G
>partition), just as I remember df -h showing the last time I checked. So
>I unmounted it, and checked with reiserfsck --check.  Sure enough, it
>said I had a problem and told me to do use --rebuild-tree.  Okay, I do
>that and pass 1 completes. Then on pass 2 it says it wants to add a
>bunch of leaves (on the order of 10,000 leaves), but of course the
>partition registers as full so it fails. That is where I am currently
>stuck. I can't even mount it anymore, mount says it's 'not a directory'.
>
>I'm currently using reiserfsck version 3.6.6 from the Knoppix v3.2 cd.
>Now I'm gonna try to find a newer version to use, but in the mean time,
>if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
>
>Brian

Have you backuped you data first?

--
Yury Umanets
"We're flying high, we're watching the world passes by..."

* Re: Fixing corrupt reiserfs partition when it registers as full
@ 2003-06-05  7:48 ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2003-06-05  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian G. Olson; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:14:36PM -0400, Brian G. Olson wrote:
> Okay, I've got a reiserfs partition that went bad. I'm don't know how,
> but for some reason the partition became completely full.  Showing up as
> 100% full using df -h. However checking all the files on the partition
> (using du -shc) it should have been a little more than half full (2.4G
> partition), just as I remember df -h showing the last time I checked. So
> I unmounted it, and checked with reiserfsck --check.  Sure enough, it
> said I had a problem and told me to do use --rebuild-tree.  Okay, I do
> that and pass 1 completes. Then on pass 2 it says it wants to add a
> bunch of leaves (on the order of 10,000 leaves), but of course the
> partition registers as full so it fails. That is where I am currently
> stuck. I can't even mount it anymore, mount says it's 'not a directory'.
> I'm currently using reiserfsck version 3.6.6 from the Knoppix v3.2 cd.
> Now I'm gonna try to find a newer version to use, but in the mean time,
> if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Hm, the easiest solution is to copy entire partition with 'dd' to a bigger partition
or to a file (and then append a file with some zeroes like this:
"dd if=/dev/zero bs=4096 count=11000 | cat >>filewithpartition.img"),
then run "reiserfsck --rebuild-sb" on the resulting partition or file,
it will ask you some questions and you need to agree to a proposed fs size and you must say "no"
to a question that asks if you did a resize.
This will add some more space for fsck to work with.
Then retry "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" operation.

If you choose to copy image into a file, you will be able to mount the image
using the loop device driver (-o loop option to mount command) after succesful
finish of "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" operation.

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: Fixing corrupt reiserfs partition when it registers as full
@ 2003-06-05  9:38   ` Hans Reiser
From: Hans Reiser @ 2003-06-05  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: Brian G. Olson, reiserfs-list, Vitaly Fertman

Oleg Drokin wrote:

>Hello!
>
>On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:14:36PM -0400, Brian G. Olson wrote:
>

>>Okay, I've got a reiserfs partition that went bad. I'm don't know how,
>>but for some reason the partition became completely full.  Showing up as
>>100% full using df -h. However checking all the files on the partition
>>(using du -shc) it should have been a little more than half full (2.4G
>>partition), just as I remember df -h showing the last time I checked. So
>>I unmounted it, and checked with reiserfsck --check.  Sure enough, it
>>said I had a problem and told me to do use --rebuild-tree.  Okay, I do
>>that and pass 1 completes. Then on pass 2 it says it wants to add a
>>bunch of leaves (on the order of 10,000 leaves), but of course the
>>partition registers as full so it fails. That is where I am currently
>>stuck. I can't even mount it anymore, mount says it's 'not a directory'.
>>I'm currently using reiserfsck version 3.6.6 from the Knoppix v3.2 cd.
>>Now I'm gonna try to find a newer version to use, but in the mean time,
>>if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
>>

>Hm, the easiest solution is to copy entire partition with 'dd' to a bigger partition
>or to a file (and then append a file with some zeroes like this:
>"dd if=/dev/zero bs=4096 count=11000 | cat >>filewithpartition.img"),
>then run "reiserfsck --rebuild-sb" on the resulting partition or file,
>it will ask you some questions and you need to agree to a proposed fs size and you must say "no"
>to a question that asks if you did a resize.
>This will add some more space for fsck to work with.
>Then retry "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" operation.
>
>If you choose to copy image into a file, you will be able to mount the image
>using the loop device driver (-o loop option to mount command) after succesful
>finish of "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" operation.
>
>Bye,
>    Oleg

How about Vitaly trying to get a copy and seeing if he can figure out
why it went bad.  You might want to ask about the history of the
partition and see if it is old enough to be from when we used to leak
space, etc.

--
Hans

* Re: Fixing corrupt reiserfs partition when it registers as full
@ 2003-06-09 16:44   ` Brian G. Olson
From: Brian G. Olson @ 2003-06-09 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Drokin; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 11:48:23AM +0400, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:14:36PM -0400, Brian G. Olson wrote:
> > Okay, I've got a reiserfs partition that went bad. I'm don't know how,
> > but for some reason the partition became completely full.  Showing up as
> > 100% full using df -h. However checking all the files on the partition
> > (using du -shc) it should have been a little more than half full (2.4G
> > partition), just as I remember df -h showing the last time I checked. So
> > I unmounted it, and checked with reiserfsck --check.  Sure enough, it
> > said I had a problem and told me to do use --rebuild-tree.  Okay, I do
> > that and pass 1 completes. Then on pass 2 it says it wants to add a
> > bunch of leaves (on the order of 10,000 leaves), but of course the
> > partition registers as full so it fails. That is where I am currently
> > stuck. I can't even mount it anymore, mount says it's 'not a directory'.
> > I'm currently using reiserfsck version 3.6.6 from the Knoppix v3.2 cd.
> > Now I'm gonna try to find a newer version to use, but in the mean time,
> > if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
>
> Hm, the easiest solution is to copy entire partition with 'dd' to a bigger partition
> or to a file (and then append a file with some zeroes like this:
> "dd if=/dev/zero bs=4096 count=11000 | cat >>filewithpartition.img"),
> then run "reiserfsck --rebuild-sb" on the resulting partition or file,
> it will ask you some questions and you need to agree to a proposed fs size and you must say "no"
> to a question that asks if you did a resize.
> This will add some more space for fsck to work with.
> Then retry "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" operation.
>
> If you choose to copy image into a file, you will be able to mount the image
> using the loop device driver (-o loop option to mount command) after succesful
> finish of "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree" operation.
>
> Bye,
>     Oleg

Thanks for your help Oleg! I had some time to work on the problem this
weekend, and your tips really helped. I brought the HD with the bad
partition to another computer which had enough free space to make a
temporary partition. Copied the bad partition to the new one (which had
more space) using dd, fixed the superblock, then fixed it with
reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. I then shrunk it with resize_reiserfs so it
would fit on the original partition, dd'd it back to the original
partition, ran resize_resierfs again to make sure it was using the
entire partition, and now all is well. Oh, and after each step I used
reiserfsck --check to make sure everything was okay.

Thanks again.

Brian